Badger fat

bornfree

Picked up a dead Badger on the road to the farm this morning hit by a car. Was going to chuck it in the dead bin. A Lithuanian chap who works on the farm asked if he could buy it I said you can have it for free he was overjoyed. He proceeded to skin it leaving as much fat on the body as possible. He then told us that the fat was valuable and mixed with honey to make a rub for all sorts of problems such as breathing difficulty and joint pain. He reckoned it was worth the equivalent of £100 a jar in Lithuania.

9 hours ago, bornfree said:

Picked up a dead Badger on the road to the farm this morning hit by a car. Was going to chuck it in the dead bin. A Lithuanian chap who works on the farm asked if he could buy it I said you can have it for free he was overjoyed. He proceeded to skin it leaving as much fat on the body as possible. He then told us that the fat was valuable and mixed with honey to make a rub for all sorts of problems such as breathing difficulty and joint pain. He reckoned it was worth the equivalent of £100 a jar in Lithuania.

Interesting fact, but to be in possession of a dead badger is a criminal offence. Only defence is to prove it wasn't killed by an illegal act committed by the possessor of the aforementioned dead badger. Obviously, in your case it shouldn't be a problem but good to know 

25 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Interesting fact, but to be in possession of a dead badger is a criminal offence. Only defence is to prove it wasn't killed by an illegal act committed by the possessor of the aforementioned dead badger. Obviously, in your case it shouldn't be a problem but good to know 

He skinned it put it in a big plastic bag and took it home when he left work. He lives about 20 miles away hope he didnt get stopped. He said he was going to boil it to collect the fat.

About 15 years ago I was out detecting in the middle of a field when a scruffy looking chap turned up out of nowhere in his 4x4. He wanted to know how I was getting on and explained that over the years he had hawked all of the local fields and proceeded to tell me where I should be detecting. He was a real character and knew his stuff, anyhoo his phone rings and he proceeds to tell his partner that he has it in the boot and they will eat it later!! “It” turned out to be an Otter which I had seen two days prior, dead on the side of the road. 
“Eat it?” I chocked out! “Yes” was the reply he explained they are really rather tasty and a couple of days in the sun won’t harm the meat 🤮 

He also liked a Badger steak or two. 🤣

Heard a few old wives tales about badger fat / grease and there is nearly always some truth in old wives tales somewhere.

3 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Badger grease boner. No thank you! But at £100/jar it knocks the £15/badger from the cull company into a cocked hat 😂

I think the new badger survey in this area is paying £25 each for dead ones