Hushpower/reloading subs

Hi all, my first post on here so go easy!

Firstly to set the scene, I have shot my whole life, having had an extended break for a decade due to lack of money, and recently got back into this wonderful sport and purchased a new ATA O/U 12g which I am very pleased with. 

Years gone I dabbled in loading my own cartridges just to make basic shells, nothing fancy but did it just because I enjoyed it, so I have very basic experience in reloading. 

I have recently acquired some really good rabbit/pigeon/crow land which is near horse paddocks. The 12g scares the horses too much, so for fear of loosing the land I am wanting to see which hushpower options were out there. 

I have ruled out .410 because of the cartridge cost and limited availability, also quite frankly my shooting isn’t good enough in my opinion to operate a .410 to its full effectiveness. Also the load-your-own equipment for .410 would make it cost prohibitive as far as I can see (?). 

So this leads me on to the larger bores, 12 or 20. The Mossberg offering of both of these is far too heavy, I’ve tried both in gun shops and just felt far too unwieldy. 

So I guess my question is...

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts of a basic pump action (e.g Hatsan), with a Hushpower removable moderator (the one where you send off an extended choke to them, £180 from http://hushpower.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm) and then also my ability to produce decent subsonic 12g which actually kills out to a decent enough range but remains at least ‘fairly’ quiet? 

Thoughts please from anybody with any experience in either reloading subsonic 12’s, or indeed anyone with a larger calibre Hushpower shotgun!

Thanks in advance

Jim

hatsan pump with an add on mod will not be much lighter than the mossberg hushpower.

if your after decent sound moderation forget the 12G ,played with various subsonic chrono reloads thru the 12 and i wasn't overly impressed with it.

still have the 20gauge moss hushpower which is ok on 28g 5s subsonic reloads running at 1050fps but the 410 really ticks the box for me.

i don't find em easy to shoot well , but thats prob cos im ****. :)

Edited by Remimax

Guest cookoff013

i`d go 12, 
there are quite a few ways to get subsonics, different recipes etc. the smaller the bore the less options become available.

i`ve made subs from 21g to 42g in 12gauge. 20 should be intermediate. its an option.

i`m very bias. 

My mate has a hatsan 20b semi auto .with the add on can .first off its very effective  at quieting down the shot .the gun cycles fine .its very long and muzzle heavy  (more so than the 20b mossbergs (we have had those too ).

if you have skittish horses then any shot gun even with a mod will scare them even an airgun  shot can send them into a full on stampede.  

I personally recommend a .410 they are lighter (actually balance better with the mod ) and quieter than 20 or 12 .

And can be very effective out to normal shotgun ranges  (30 yds) 

I am using a 20g o/u hushy its very similar with sub's 30g no 5 as a 12g on rooks and crows. It takes a lot of learning.

As above if the horses are skittish it may be the case that none will be quiet enough. It's the sudden unexpected noise as much as the volume of the sound.

On 13/12/2020 at 16:54, J98330040M said:

Hi all, my first post on here so go easy!Firstly to set the scene, I have shot my whole life, having had an extended break for a decade due to lack of money, and recently got back into this wonderful sport and purchased a new ATA O/U 12g which I am very pleased with. Years gone I dabbled in loading my own cartridges just to make basic shells, nothing fancy but did it just because I enjoyed it, so I have very basic experience in reloading. I have recently acquired some really good rabbit/pigeon/crow land which is near horse paddocks. The 12g scares the horses too much, so for fear of loosing the land I am wanting to see which hushpower options were out there. I have ruled out .410 because of the cartridge cost and limited availability, also quite frankly my shooting isn’t good enough in my opinion to operate a .410 to its full effectiveness. Also the load-your-own equipment for .410 would make it cost prohibitive as far as I can see (?). So this leads me on to the larger bores, 12 or 20. The Mossberg offering of both of these is far too heavy, I’ve tried both in gun shops and just felt far too unwieldy. So I guess my question is...Does anybody have any experience or thoughts of a basic pump action (e.g Hatsan), with a Hushpower removable moderator (the one where you send off an extended choke to them, £180 from http://hushpower.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm) and then also my ability to produce decent subsonic 12g which actually kills out to a decent enough range but remains at least ‘fairly’ quiet? Thoughts please from anybody with any experience in either reloading subsonic 12’s, or indeed anyone with a larger calibre Hushpower shotgun!Thanks in advance

WELCOM TO PIGEONWATCH!

On 14/12/2020 at 14:47, hawkfanz said:

i,ll 2nd that stu,ive changed to a mossy 410,instead of the o/u hushy 20g.

I have the Mossy 410 and even with 3 inch mags it quietens it down a lot BUT as said horses are very skittish and have excellent hearing so your up against a rock and a hard place.  I would go for the 410  Mossy and subs. I reload all of my 410s. I picked up a Mec for a good price and only use it for deprime/resize and putting the felt wads in and crimping. Trying to drop powder and shot is a nightmare , particularly with SP3 powder.    Yes, the Mossy and I would think any shotgun with all that extra upfront takes a bit of getting used to, so book an hour at a range and shoot some clays to get used to it.  It comes second nature to me now.

15 hours ago, J98330040M said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have been offered a Mossberg 410 at a remarkable price so going to collect it this week before Christmas. Will see how I get on, still not convinced it’s the best calibre to opt for but I will hopefully be convinced. 

You will love the Mossberg .410. They are very useful tools and you will be surprised how effective it can be. I've tried lots of shells from 2" 9 gram to 3" 18g (I think). I mostly use the 2.5" Lyvale Express 14g now.