Harkilla boots

Jacko3275

I had a pair or pro hunters for 5 years plus and they had a fair bit of hammer and stood up well until this year when the lining in heel started to go and made them a bit uncomfortable.

some people slate them but mine didn’t leak although the leather did crack 

look on John Norris as they usually have them in offer.

I now have gone over to dedito which seem really comy staring out if the box but you so have to go 1/2 size up on your normal fit

I have been using pro hunters for several years and I find them well made, waterproof and comfy.

Mine get quite a bit of stick and I don't clean/waterproof them as often as I should.

I get about 3 seasons from them. However, I did buy a pair from a John Norris sale a couple of years ago and although they were advertised as pro hunter they were not as well made as my previous or subsequent pairs. They only lasted 2 seasons.

I am a big fan of Harkila gear and I know it is expensive but it does the job and you can rely on it in the worst of weather

2 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Thinking of splashing out on some pro hunters or mountain gtx so would like to know if they are worth the £299 price tag do they last ( if looked after obviously) they would only be used for shooting not walking  the dog daily .. cheers in advance 

Not in my view. I had a pair from John Norris. Wore them a few times on the hill and my feet ached like hell so sold them. Footbed was too soft for me. Instead I bought a pair of Brandecosse Diemes. Second season on the hill and find them brilliant in very tough terrain.

My experience of on ‘special offer’ Harkila boots from Norris’.
It will be over five years ago now and on their first outing in wet weather shooting they leaked through the heel. I hadn’t had them long so returned them and was given another pair, which did the same, so returned them and paid the difference and bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon plus. Had had these before and the leather had cracked over the toes but the latest offering had a rubber covering over this area, but the same happened in due course. I only wear them in dry weather now. 

Was talking to a Harkila stall holder at Lowther Fair a year or so later, who told me Harkila had resolved the leaking problem, but I’ve never taken the risk, which is a shame because with the exception of a pair of Scarpa boots I own, they were just about the most comfortable I’d owned. 
A lady on another stall told me how J. Norris managed to offer them at such low prices, but I can’t recall what she told me now as I had no intention of going back anyhow. 

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

Not in my view. I had a pair from John Norris. Wore them a few times on the hill and my feet ached like hell so sold them. Footbed was too soft for me. Instead I bought a pair of Brandecosse Diemes. Second season on the hill and find them brilliant in very tough terrain.

Was beating with a lady the other week who does a lot of deer stalking, and really liked the look of her boots, which turned out to be Diemes. She rates them very highly so they are now in my ‘ serious consideration’ list for future reference.
They look incredibly well made and she told me they took a bit of breaking in which is always a good sign to me. 

Hello jacko375,. I have a pair of the Norris offer Harkilas, now into 2nd season. Comfortable, waterproof and hard-wearing. I always ensure to dry , clean and protect as much as possible. Also find a half size increase for better fit. I would buy again at offer price or thereabouts. That's my experience. Regards

1 hour ago, Scully said:

My experience of on ‘special offer’ Harkila boots from Norris’.
It will be over five years ago now and on their first outing in wet weather shooting they leaked through the heel. I hadn’t had them long so returned them and was given another pair, which did the same, so returned them and paid the difference and bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon plus. Had had these before and the leather had cracked over the toes but the latest offering had a rubber covering over this area, but the same happened in due course. I only wear them in dry weather now. 

Was talking to a Harkila stall holder at Lowther Fair a year or so later, who told me Harkila had resolved the leaking problem, but I’ve never taken the risk, which is a shame because with the exception of a pair of Scarpa boots I own, they were just about the most comfortable I’d owned. 
A lady on another stall told me how J. Norris managed to offer them at such low prices, but I can’t recall what she told me now as I had no intention of going back anyhow. 

Was beating with a lady the other week who does a lot of deer stalking, and really liked the look of her boots, which turned out to be Diemes. She rates them very highly so they are now in my ‘ serious consideration’ list for future reference.
They look incredibly well made and she told me they took a bit of breaking in which is always a good sign to me. 

They did take a little breaking in but not massively uncomfortable when doing so. I wear mine with thin cotton liners and shooting socks. It’s not a massive trip for you to go and try a pair at the manufacturers at st John’s Town Dalry Dumfries, when you can travel. That’s what I did and they are super people to deal with. 

36 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

They did take a little breaking in but not massively uncomfortable when doing so. I wear mine with thin cotton liners and shooting socks. It’s not a massive trip for you to go and try a pair at the manufacturers at st John’s Town Dalry Dumfries, when you can travel. That’s what I did and they are super people to deal with. 

Thanks. Had a look online after talking to the lady I mentioned, but hadn’t realised they were that close. 👍

I’ve had a pair of pro hunters for about 7/8 years. Never ever let a drop of water in, extremely comfortable and have been fantastic. Used numerous times a week for shooting and picking up, fell walking and general use but they’ve started to look tatty so I’ve just replaced them with Hanwag trapper gtx. Absolutely fantastic boots I would very much recommend them

• 2 weeks later...