Car sales !!

rec-baller

Just been to look at a 17plate VW Scirroco R-line  today at a dealers , the car was priced at £15999 + £1500 for a 3 year RAC  warranty,  we have no part x change and are paying cash.

When we had taken the car for a test drive I asked the sales guy what he would accept for the car , his reply was full price mate, there is no room to negotiate!!!

Even after 10 minutes he wouldnt budge !

Swift exit and onto another dealer , one lost car sale 

So if another dealer had the same car up for £16999 and you "haggled" to a price of £15999 you would have been happy? If the car is at the right money then its a fair deal. 

I run a vintage vehicle dealers and the only time I consider offers below the advertised price is if something has been in stock for a while, most of the time its take it or leave it. I see no point increasing the advertised price just to knock some off for people to think they have got a deal, of course I have had a handful of people try playing hardball but its normally them that misses out. 

£1500 for warranty on 3 year old VW sounds a bit steep though!

Nath it's been a bumper year for car sales, soon as first lockdown eased, garages couldn't keep up with stock.  They made more money than ever, it's now slowed down as expected to as it's the slowest period of the year.

Don't forget come January, your new car less than a month old appears a year older. 

Edited by figgy

The “this bloke won’t haggle” scene from life of Brian is not real life you know. He set a price, you offered less. Why should he “budge”? You can go else where and he can get another buyer, what’s the problem?

When did become compulsory to haggle? I hope you are all as amenable when your bosses expect you to “budge” on your pay packet!

I bought my Mrs a second hand car about a year or so ago now. We walked into the garage and they had a big sign up as well as on all the desks stating that they price their cars competatively so they are not willing to negotiate further. The listed price is the final price.

We had looked around and it was the best deal online so we didn't bother wasting their time as they made it so clear.

What was a cheeky move, was that my Mrs wanted to buy it herself initially but didn't have that many thousand in cash and she queried the finance deals. The bloke was VERY evasive about telling us the details.

They just kept saying "how much do you want to pay per month?"... I kept telling him (firmly in the end) that is irrelevant, and how much is the interest rate. I had to 'explain' how it worked to him 3-4 times before he gave me the details, 9.9%, over the 3 years her £7,000 car would have cost around £9,000... no wonder they don't want to deal in cash buyers.

Fortunately I had the cash in the bank, did the transfer and we picked the car up the next week. Despite the somewhat evasive salesman, the garage offered a 6 month warrantly on the car, checked it over before we left and put a brand new car battery and door trim on it as they were a bit weak and they didn't want us having to come back if we had any issues. We were very happy with that and my Mrs is very happy with the car and not had a single issue. 

We didn't save any money by trying to knock them down but saved several thousand by avoiding finance. 

43 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I bought my Mrs a second hand car about a year or so ago now. We walked into the garage and they had a big sign up as well as on all the desks stating that they price their cars competatively so they are not willing to negotiate further. The listed price is the final price.

We had looked around and it was the best deal online so we didn't bother wasting their time as they made it so clear.

What was a cheeky move, was that my Mrs wanted to buy it herself initially but didn't have that many thousand in cash and she queried the finance deals. The bloke was VERY evasive about telling us the details.

They just kept saying "how much do you want to pay per month?"... I kept telling him (firmly in the end) that is irrelevant, and how much is the interest rate. I had to 'explain' how it worked to him 3-4 times before he gave me the details, 9.9%, over the 3 years her £7,000 car would have cost around £9,000... no wonder they don't want to deal in cash buyers.

Fortunately I had the cash in the bank, did the transfer and we picked the car up the next week. Despite the somewhat evasive salesman, the garage offered a 6 month warrantly on the car, checked it over before we left and put a brand new car battery and door trim on it as they were a bit weak and they didn't want us having to come back if we had any issues. We were very happy with that and my Mrs is very happy with the car and not had a single issue. 

We didn't save any money by trying to knock them down but saved several thousand by avoiding finance. 

Cash in the bank :lol: Credit card every time bag those points :good:

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Further to my post above, 16 hrs ago:

I bought that car, a 14,000 miler, from a main dealer for the marque and nobody was more surprised than me when he accepted my offer with no further negotiation. I think he realised I was prepared to walk.

Or he had £1500 wiggle room in the price and made an extra £500 out of you....

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

If I am buying a car on finance I ask three questions. What’s the price of the car, what’s the APR and what’s the guaranteed future value (if on PCP)? All three drive the monthly payment and how much you pay in total.