Trigger pull

flippermaj

On one of my aya side by sides it sometimes seems to me that the first trigger goes off prematurely.   I may be squeezing a little too early but it seems to happen a little too often for it to be just me getting carried away.

Not knowing much about the internals of the gun is it actually possible for the firing mechanism to be cocked randomly producing a slightly lighter trigger pull or is this not possible, ie it is either cocked and consistently set or not at all?

Don’t want to put it to the gunsmith if it is just me!

Just now, London Best said:

The brown is only a close shave, it’s the red stuff you need to worry about.

I nearly ended up with both when a gun had an ND or just shot low into the trees, I was a tail end beater for any birds running back and I caught some shot in the face from about 150 yards...stung like hell. As I read in a book once "live ammunition focuses the mind....Or puts a bloody big hole through it"

The safety reason alone means that you should definitely get it checked out and if necessary corrected by a gunsmith.  On an AyA that would be straightforward as they are conventional in design.

In addition - confidence is key when shooting - and if you have any nagging doubts, it will impair your confidence and hence your shooting.

There are several reasons for this happening , it can range from a worn sear or bent on the hammer to a weak sear spring or loose stock or one of several other minor areas of wear . 

You do not mention the make of gun and with out examination any suggestions will be guess work at best .

The gun must be considered dangerous and I strongly advise no further use until it has ben looked at by a competent gunsmith who knows SxS guns .

will get it checked out but I think it is probably me.  I have been using a Winchester SXP pump for a few years and the trigger pull on that is pretty basic, there is a lot of travel before it fires.  I suspect that having got used to that trigger I am unconciuosly trying to take up the travel that existed on the SXP!

Cheers for the help

5 minutes ago, m greeny said:

Just done this on mine and one is noticeably lighter than the other. 

Conventionally, the front (right) trigger is a little lighter than the back (left) trigger, but only slightly.  I believe it is not normally noticeable in use (certainly I have not noticed a difference).  For example the front might be about 3 3/4 to 4 lbs and the back 4 to 4 1/4 lbs.  What the actual values are will depend on preference and how they are set up.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Conventionally, the front (right) trigger is a little lighter than the back (left) trigger, but only slightly.  I believe it is not normally noticeable in use (certainly I have not noticed a difference).  For example the front might be about 3 3/4 to 4 lbs and the back 4 to 4 1/4 lbs.  What the actual values are will depend on preference and how they are set up.

Sorry I should of said I meant one gun is noticeably lighter pull than the other

12 hours ago, m greeny said:

Sorry I should of said I meant one gun is noticeably lighter pull than the other

Thanks for that clarification.  If it was me - I'd see a gunsmith and try and get them 'better'. 

Some years ago I bought a 'new to me' gun, which seemed to fit well, and I thought I'd be on to a good score etc., but I couldn't get it to perform for me.  A friend tried it and remarked straight away how heavy the triggers were.  To cut a long story short (the UK importers got involved which was bad news) - the triggers were found on measurement both to be over 7 lbs.  When (eventually) sorted properly - the gun realised its potential properly. 

Although I didn't notice the trigger weight myself (I guess I was concentrating on other things) - it was obviously not helping and once corrected, everything came together.