Crows in summer

David.Evans

Most of my crow shooting is a side line while i'm out on pigeons, so only carrying 6's, I Use 3's and 4's for geese and ducks but the cost of these makes it a waste using them on crows, I never go smaller than 6 although I understand what you mean about shot density but wonder if the 7 would have the range and power for big carrions and rooks.

12 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

I do try but even the best of us dont always hit the bits we would like

I think that it was George Digweed who said that he wouldn't take the shot unless he could see the vital bits of a bird and at the time was referring to pigeons and in my experience crows are a tougher proposition. Incidentally on dogs' retrieving crows apart from the beaks the talons are pretty unpleasant too. I fashioned a crow neck breaker using a modified professionalย litter picker. Works well. If anyone goes down that route don't use a ยฃ1 shop version.

On 17/12/2020 at 09:22, David.Evans said:

Lead DDย 

never shot Steel mate , no need on them birds ๐Ÿ‘

A few years back I switched to steel 5's for all my vermin shooting but was disappointed with the results, after using up theย ย 1000 I went back to lead 6's , but I do like to use the 30 - 32 gram load and only shoot fibre wad, I have a Hushpower sound moderator fitted to my 3 shot Beretta mounted on an extended 1/2 choke, makes the gun a pit barrel heavy but very effective, but the plastic wads get shredded through the moderator which causes small chips of plastic to fall back into the breach and jam the mechanism, this doesn't happen with fibre wads, the farm manager prefers me to use fibre anyway as he doesn't like plastic wads laying around in his crops.

So unless they change to rules in the future I will be sticking to my lead 6's.

On 14/12/2020 at 18:09, Cranfield said:

Some nice shooting and good presentation, well done.
I don't know how easy it is to mix real time and slow motion in a video, but sometimes slow motion doesn't reflect the skill and speed of your shooting.
Slow motion can makeย it look as though you could kill it with a shovel.๐Ÿ™‚
ย 

If you click the little gear symbol, bottom right, you can adjust the play back speed.