First Time In 35 Years

wymberley

The head of a pellet is usually  around 4.50 to 4.55 mm the skirt around 4.58 - 4.63 mm this is so it makes an air tight seal in the bore and fills the lands and grooves of the rifling. 

If you push your pellet through say a 4.51 mm sizer , your skirt will now be 4.51 mm obviously. And then be undersized to do its job .By The way the skirt is usually the most important part of the pellet as far as energy and accuracy  are concerned ,best not to mess with it too much.

I've found that actually flaring the pellet skirt out to a wider size can improve energy and accuracy  .and is something I recommend with h+n pellets 

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The head of a pellet is usually  around 4.50 to 4.55 mm the skirt around 4.58 - 4.63 mm this is so it makes an air tight seal in the bore and fills the lands and grooves of the rifling. 

If you push your pellet through say a 4.51 mm sizer , your skirt will now be 4.51 mm obviously. And then be undersized to do its job .By The way the skirt is usually the most important part of the pellet as far as energy and accuracy  are concerned ,best not to mess with it too much.

Cheers. Memory failure I fear. I seem to remember that back in the day we had not pellet sizers but shapers which would re-shape the skirts of damaged pellets before they went into the barrel.

24 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I've found that actually flaring the pellet skirt out to a wider size can improve energy and accuracy  .and is something I recommend with h+n pellets 

excactley...............i draw you to attention of the post i put up several years ago (with pics) of me making a pellet sizing/flaring tool........i have never been happy with the fit of pellets particualy the skirt diameter......so i made a tool to flare the skirts................

as a result of using this tool it improved the energy (slightly) but the accuaracy was far more consistant............

can anyone find the thread of the project ?

found it.................."today i have maily been............".............November 7th 2016.......have a look there:good:

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

excactley...............i draw you to attention of the post i put up several years ago (with pics) of me making a pellet sizing/flaring tool........i have never been happy with the fit of pellets particualy the skirt diameter......so i made a tool to flare the skirts................

as a result of using this tool it improved the energy (slightly) but the accuaracy was far more consistant............

can anyone find the thread of the project ?

found it.................."today i have maily been............".............November 7th 2016.......have a look there:good:

Well when I get bored around 3am it will give me something to look for.......

13 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I understood that the pellet skirt flared out to fit the bore with all that air pressure behind it. 

quite right..................

i have a good quality micrometer and decied to meauser the skirts and heads of 5 good makes of pellet......................i WAS STUNNED...............also i was angry at the number of deformed pellets............and these were on good well known makes of pellet........the differenaces of the meausurments was totally out of order...........

the only pellets that were a regular size were ones packed individully in what looked like a long lenght of bubble wrap....and they were expensive..

so thats why i made the pellet former 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Well when I get bored around 3am it will give me something to look for.......

dont rush yourself........