Police Scotland, Shotgun transfers

big bad lindz

I've always emailed them and you get an automated reply. Best to keep copies of your email and their reply in the unlikely event of any issue in the future. But to be honest, its a more reliable system than posting a letter. Even recorded delivery only proves you posted a letter to that address, doesn't tell you what was in it. 

1 hour ago, big bad lindz said:

Can anyone tell me where to find shotgun transfer forms in the police Scotland web site.

They have a section snares & weapon transfers but it only mentions snares.

I am thinking of buying a shotgun from a friend but I cant see the details.

Cheers, BBL

Is notification via a form an obligatory requirement in Scotland? Can’t say I’ve heard of them. 

On 14/12/2020 at 18:34, stuartyboy said:

I've always emailed them and you get an automated reply. Best to keep copies of your email and their reply in the unlikely event of any issue in the future. But to be honest, its a more reliable system than posting a letter. Even recorded delivery only proves you posted a letter to that address, doesn't tell you what was in it. 

This. I was a Luddite in respect of "email this...email that" but now am it's greatest champion. I always send the email with my surname in the the title line and three words relevant to what I've done as (with Leicestershire Police) they do an automated reply that retains the original title line but not the body of the email). 

Examples might be as a title line:

ENFIELD - Purchase of Beretta s/n 123657

or

ENFIELD - Sale of Browning s/n 890123

or if more than one shotgun..say a trade in...then three words relevant to each in the same one title line.

ENFIELD - Sale of AYA s/n AAABBBXX and Purchase of Webley s/n 756894

I have created a separate sub-folder in my email and then use the "move" facility to move both the original sent from me to them and reply from them to me email in it. That way I've a permanent "out" and "in" listing of advice being sent and acknowledgement that it has been received.

What I write in the body is what the SGC/FAC states is required (plus a little bit more that actually isn't in the wording of the Firearms Act specifically required). So this:

ENFIELD - Purchase of Beretta s/n 123657

Dear Chief Constable,

On 16 December 2020 I purchased from Leicester Gun Company (or if an individual then Mr Simon Shooter - individual's name) of 10 Any Street, Leicester LE1 1AA a Beretta 12 bore over and under shotgun s/n 123657. Leicester Gun Company are RFD Leicester 222. (Or if an individual then Mr Simon Shooter is Leicester SGC AAA888666). Details of the transaction being entered by Leicester Gun Company (or Mr Tom Shooter) at Table 2 on my Leicestershire Shot Gun Certificate SGCBBB999000.

Lee ENFIELD                                                                                                                                                                                                                27 Main Street, Any Village, Leicester LE2 2BB

Edited by enfieldspares