Jump to content

blackthorn infection


Recommended Posts

woke up to a limping spaniel sunday morning after a hard days rough shooting day before ,good inspection of paw showed no  thorns or obvious puncture wound.

she walked to the house fine night before and after the usual hose down ,drying and grub i had put her away.

by dinner time sunday it was looking seriously swollen and she was off her food so called family friend whos a vet.

he was home teatime so off we go to see whats going on .his examination revealed a puncture wound going in lower down and then coming out by the dew claw.

infection had set in so the suitable medication was started. he thinks blackthorn is the cause

never seen an infection get so aggressive in such a short length of time ,anybody else had this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Remimax said:

woke up to a limping spaniel sunday morning after a hard days rough shooting day before ,good inspection of paw showed no  thorns or obvious puncture wound.

she walked to the house fine night before and after the usual hose down ,drying and grub i had put her away.

by dinner time sunday it was looking seriously swollen and she was off her food so called family friend whos a vet.

he was home teatime so off we go to see whats going on .his examination revealed a puncture wound going in lower down and then coming out by the dew claw.

infection had set in so the suitable medication was started. he thinks blackthorn is the cause

never seen an infection get so aggressive in such a short length of time ,anybody else had this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Talking to the vet about pips scratches and sores see thread - Vet said blackthorn is particularly nasty and asked if there was any chance she had caught herself on any! 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

everydays a school day ,if its not clearing by wednesday evening he's talking about opening it up to clean it out.

got a decent size hole by the dew claw now so have been told to massage the **** out and keep bathing in warm salty water to keep it open.

she's just thrown her tea up which i was warned about could happen with the antibiotics.

fingers crossed we can get the better of it sharpish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only once. My old choccy lab started licking his front paw the day after a shoot and I had a look. Couldn't see anything untoward. Still doing it the next day so ran him into our local big animal vet and he had a look and found a 1 inch blackthorn stuck in between the dogs toes and by then it was swelling. A gentle probe with some tweezers and he pulled it out, gave him another jab and told me to keep and eye on it for the next week but it cleared up very quickly.  He said I was sensible to bring him in as another few days and the foot would have turned septic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the above and my working dogs having had first hand experience with blackthorns it makes you wonder why any self respecting shoot would plant the stuff in the first place, this is one of my favourite gripes along with barbed wire fences (the bottom strand should be non-barbed.) With a little thought and no extra cost, a lot of this misery could be avoided.

Agreed that it's a native plant and almost unavoidable but they still plant it in new hedgerows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, martinj said:

Having read the above and my working dogs having had first hand experience with blackthorns it makes you wonder why any self respecting shoot would plant the stuff in the first place, this is one of my favourite gripes along with barbed wire fences (the bottom strand should be non-barbed.) With a little thought and no extra cost, a lot of this misery could be avoided.

Agreed that it's a native plant and almost unavoidable but they still plant it in new hedgerows.

Agreed. No one in their right minds includes Blackthorn in the planting list for hedgerows. Not only does it cause animals all sorts of illnesses but the plant throws out suckers at an enormous rate. These have the effect of widening the hedge and are virtually impossible to eradicate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JDog said:

Agreed. No one in their right minds includes Blackthorn in the planting list for hedgerows. Not only does it cause animals all sorts of illnesses but the plant throws out suckers at an enormous rate. These have the effect of widening the hedge and are virtually impossible to eradicate.

And when they smash it with a flail you get spines all over footpaths and headlands, it's a real pain in the ****

Link to post
Share on other sites

Second shout that in the right place fine as I have 3 large jars that would not be making sloe gin - The shoot I attend has none that I have seen in all the years and surprised I have never had a adverse reaction when picking  But a Moscitoes bit me and my whole arm swells up !

how the patient ( dog ) ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a thorn in my forearm of a hedge earlier this year. It swelled as they do sometimes, gave it a squeeze as I could see a black dot. Only got blood out, still got the dot, looks like a tattoo dot, every once in a while it gets a small lump and I try to squeeze it out. It will come out eventually, as it was a mixed hedge I was cutting not sure if Blackthorn it Hawthorn spiked me..

My dog got a hell of a lump on his head off a thorn where the skin kept growing. Nearly all was removed, still got a lump but it's not growing. This I was told is off a thorn.  Some awful problems off them, espy when dirt and stuff gets into the puncture.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...