Who remembers these?

moondoggy

Do t remember wayfinders, was born in 1971 but I did wear converse and Clarke's shoes then doc martens. 

I remember them brown Clarke shoes that teachers and dad's wore, shaped like a foot around the toes, no heel one long rubber wedge shapes sole and stitched seam around the welt. Looked very comfy, wish they were around today 😂 

Had I known shoes that had a compass in them, i would have plagued my parents for some.

Edited by figgy

Just now, enfieldspares said:

I was never allowed to have such things. It was Start-Rite shoes for me...I was very envious of those boys that did have those Tracker shoes. OTOH I have always had good feet thanks to those awful Start-Rite shoes!

In a similar vein I was not allowed anything like the Trackers, Clarks all the way for me and for my boys as they grew up.

24 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Never seen clog irons but I would reckon  about the same, iron heel and tow plates completed the ensemble , painful playground tennis ball football without a doubt.

Blackpowder

Uk clog --  wooden sole with upward curve to toe and leather upper the style which varied with region/work/use.  Irons, U shaped on heel and semi pointed  "horse shoe" to sole both about 5mm thick.

27 minutes ago, islandgun said:

TUFF shoes, long socks round the ankles and long grey shorts, winter and summer..Shorts were essential to allow the full effect of gravel rash on the knees after being tripped in the playground when playing football with a tennis ball [blackpowder]

If I remember correctly, I wasn’t  allowed to wear long trousers at all until I was a teenager. 
We seemed to have snow every year and it frequently came up to, or above your knees.

We were tough kids in those days. No central heating, single glazing, one outside toilet. Character building stuff.

This topic just reminded me, did anyone have a jumper knitting mother, I fondly remember mine measuring me up for a new one, how many mothers knit now and how many youngsters would wear a hand made jumper... what a privileged [and ungrateful] child i was..😔

2 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

If I remember correctly, I wasn’t  allowed to wear long trousers at all until I was a teenager. 
We seemed to have snow every year and it frequently came up to, or above your knees.

We were tough kids in those days. No central heating, single glazing, one outside toilet. Character building stuff.

We were free though, learnt to swim in the river, play in the street, nature was ours to look at, a quick fight settled an argument, and a clip round the ear was punishment enough..😀   

19 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I remember these shoes as essential wear for any school boy in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

I couldn’t wait for snow to try the print soles and the secret compass was essential in case you got lost on your way home from school

I remember them very well, the animal prints wore off in about a week and the compass was something you would get in a Christmas Cracker but very aspirational at the time, all the boys wanted them.

Funnily enough years later we were at the Isle of Man TTs and we had climbed onto the roof of a concrete pill box like building to get a better view. When it was time to get off my mate jumped and landed quite hard. Straight away he said "Damm I bet that broke the Compass"

Everybody laughed, they all got the joke  

13 minutes ago, islandgun said:

This topic just reminded me, did anyone have a jumper knitting mother, I fondly remember mine measuring me up for a new one, how many mothers knit now and how many youngsters would wear a hand made jumper... what a privileged [and ungrateful] child i was..

Yes, I did. Jumpers and cardigans. I remember being frequently asked to hold the skeins of wool whilst my mother wound it into a ball. Used to moan like hell when asked to do that 😂

8 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Yes, I did. Jumpers and cardigans. I remember being frequently asked to hold the skeins of wool whilst my mother wound it into a ball. Used to moan like hell when asked to do that 😂

Its amazing really , my mum would feed six with a meat and veg meal everyday with  afters of custard and pie or pud, then a constant supply of buns and cake to keep us going until dinner, in her part time she worked as a home help and the rest of the time she kept the house tidy and knitted the whole family jumpers.. by god !

I seem to remember that around the same time Clarks had a series of boys shoes based on famous grand prix circuits ,Monaco ,Silverstone ,etc . I think they came with a wall chart of the circuits and the famous drivers of the day as well as pictures of the cars all in the box.

Green shield stamps and pink shield stamps. It seemed to be a rule that it was a child’s job to lick and stick them into the books. What made it worse was that every time you bought a gallon or two of petrol, thousands of stamps came spewing out of the machine and the glue tasted horrible.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

This topic just reminded me, did anyone have a jumper knitting mother, I fondly remember mine measuring me up for a new one, how many mothers knit now and how many youngsters would wear a hand made jumper... what a privileged [and ungrateful] child i was..😔

We were free though, learnt to swim in the river, play in the street, nature was ours to look at, a quick fight settled an argument, and a clip round the ear was punishment enough..😀   

My Mother didn’t knit but she sewed. Shirt collars were reversed when worn through, cuffs bound with tape. Knees were patched and elbows darned. I remember her making kipper ties out of some paisley material .

Grandmas and maiden Aunts did the knitting - bed socks for Christmas! We all had hand knitted balaclavas- great for pretending to be the Sheriff of Nottingham - boy did they itch!