Who remembers these?

moondoggy

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Its amazing really , my mum would feed six with a meat and veg meal everyday with  afters of custard and pie or pud, then a constant supply of buns and cake to keep us going until dinner, in her part time she worked as a home help and the rest of the time she kept the house tidy and knitted the whole family jumpers.. by god !

We also had six mouths to feed and when my father came home from the R N then there was eight of us , my mum was knitted loads of jumpers and the wool shop was in our village , she also worked part time at the sweet rock factory and my eldest sister kept at home when she should had been at school to do some cooking and a bit of house work .

As for the shoes mentioned , never heard of them , the only prints we left in the snow was from our water boots , some days we stayed in wellies all day at school , it would have been a waste of time the teachers sending you home to put some waterproof shoes on as we never any if we were sent home , I left school in 62 and the first decent pair of wellies I bought were Bullseye and after a lot of beg steal and borrowing ( maybe not in that order ) the first decent leather boots were Dr Martins , happy days .

37 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We also had six mouths to feed and when my father came home from the R N then there was eight of us , my mum was knitted loads of jumpers and the wool shop was in our village , she also worked part time at the sweet rock factory and my eldest sister kept at home when she should had been at school to do some cooking and a bit of house work .

As for the shoes mentioned , never heard of them , the only prints we left in the snow was from our water boots , some days we stayed in wellies all day at school , it would have been a waste of time the teachers sending you home to put some waterproof shoes on as we never any if we were sent home , I left school in 62 and the first decent pair of wellies I bought were Bullseye and after a lot of beg steal and borrowing ( maybe not in that order ) the first decent leather boots were Dr Martins , happy days .

Wellies used to leave a fair old rash in your shorts... Iv'e still got a bald ring round my leg..😄

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

My Mother didn’t knit but she sewed. Shirt collars were reversed when worn through, cuffs bound with tape. Knees were patched and elbows darned. I remember her making kipper ties out of some paisley material .

Grandmas and maiden Aunts did the knitting - bed socks for Christmas! We all had hand knitted balaclavas- great for pretending to be the Sheriff of Nottingham - boy did they itch!

i dont remember repaired collars but well remember frayed

10 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

You mean like clog irons😉

Our 1926 house used to be a dairy......carts kept in garage, horses in adjacent field

rooting through garage I found some weeny tiny horse shoes.  Until,wife pointed out they were clog irons!

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Do you remember the teachers had elbow patches on their jackets?

And leather around the cuffs. Jackets usually corduroy and nearly always light brown

34 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Wellies used to leave a fair old rash in your shorts... Iv'e still got a bald ring round my leg..😄

i dont remember repaired collars but well remember frayed

Just after the 53 floods we lost what little clothing , shoes and just about everything we had on the ground floor of our terrace house , I was to young at the time ( 6 ) to know we had loads of donations from people up and down the country , the shoes were at the village hall and not every pair fitted as they should have done , but that was only a minor problem and we were all very grateful we had something to put on our feet , in the Winter we spent most of the times in our wellies as we lived on a island next to the marshes so after a while we just got used to them and never took a lot of notice about the chaffing around your legs , although we didn't wear shorts as they were for under fives , we were grown ups and put our trousers inside our wellies so people couldn't see the bottoms were three inches to short .:good:

15 hours ago, islandgun said:

TUFF shoes, long socks round the ankles and long grey shorts, winter and summer..Shorts were essential to allow the full effect of gravel rash on the knees after being tripped in the playground when playing football with a tennis ball [blackpowder]

Wellington in snow and chafing your legs red raw, we was tough,

Blackpowder

Warm school milk, the smell of mashed potatoes and boiling cabbage cooked in enormous pans and served by dour dinner ladies, the potbelly stove in the annexe classroom, glowing red, with steaming woolen gloves pushed through the guard to dry after the last playground snowball fight, The odd musty smell of the wooden village hall...funny i can vividly remember my childhood but not what i did yesterday, im sure thats a sign of something but i cant remember what..😀

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Just after the 53 floods we lost what little clothing , shoes and just about everything we had on the ground floor of our terrace house , I was to young at the time ( 6 ) to know we had loads of donations from people up and down the country , the shoes were at the village hall and not every pair fitted as they should have done , but that was only a minor problem and we were all very grateful we had something to put on our feet , in the Winter we spent most of the times in our wellies as we lived on a island next to the marshes so after a while we just got used to them and never took a lot of notice about the chaffing around your legs , although we didn't wear shorts as they were for under fives , we were grown ups and put our trousers inside our wellies so people couldn't see the bottoms were three inches to short .:good:

53 ! the year I was born, 10yrs until when the worst/best winter fell on us, It seems like a lifetime ago..😉