Bird in a bird

Jonty

Up until last week, Christmas dinner at ours was going to be low key - no extra family so we talked about a low effort Turkey crown or a beef roast - until last Saturday when my 13 year old daughter asked if she could come on her first shoot.... she absolutely loved it, which as you could imagine, made me a very happy dad.  Anyway, as I was cleaning the birds I brought home from the shoot, my girl asked ‘’daddy can we have a bird in a bird?’’who am I to at]rgue when she can tell us all about the bird we are eating and how she picked it.  So,we have wood pigeon, woodcock and pheasant in the freezer.  I fancied a gressingham  duck for the outside so today after it arrived i boned it out and popped it in the freezer for assembly closer to the date.  If you’ve ever fancied doing this yourself- it really is easier than you’d think - definitely worth a try 

6F5AF062-932F-46AF-86AC-309AD88B46BB.jpeg

C5DCFE79-D33E-4691-BC64-517953D12FD2.jpeg

AF8FA6EF-2FF5-4FBA-B029-AF2044117872.jpeg

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very interesting, the only problem I can see is getting the mass of meat to cook evenly. 

I look forward to seeing what you plan to do about that.

It’s just a chunk of meat TC, i just apply the same principles as if it was a fore rib of beef etc.  I do use a thermometer whilst cooking and also. Using a farmed duck or goose on the outside provides a forgiving outer skin which will help protect the inner meat without sacrificing the outer layer.  I’d wholeheartedly recommend anyone to give it a go

Edited by Jonty

30yrs ago this was very popular and I remember putting together all sorts of birds and even a venison backstrap in the middle once. Layer of mixed stuffing between each.

Sew it all together and roast like you would a large joint.  Your meat temperature gauge comes into its own here and will tell you when it is cooked through. Couple of layers of foil over it should the outside start to cook too fast, then take it it off to crisp up prior to serving.  A lot of trouble but well worth it for the result and easy to slice.  Seasoned oil for basting.   Layered with streaky bacon over, the choices are almost endless.

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well you've have thought it through, enjoy.

Thanks, I’ve done a few of these now and I’ve not had any disasters- with a meat thermometer it takes all the uncertainty away.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

30yrs ago this was very popular and I remember putting together all sorts of birds and even a venison backstrap in the middle once. Layer of mixed stuffing between each.

Sew it all together and roast like you would a large joint.  Your meat temperature gauge comes into its own here and will tell you when it is cooked through. Couple of layers of foil over it should the outside start to cook too fast, then take it it off to crisp up prior to serving.  A lot of trouble but well worth it for the result and easy to slice.  Seasoned oil for basting.   Layered with streaky bacon over, the choices are almost endless.

You’re right about the 30 years thing Walker570 - my mother in law taught me how to do it - she taught her self from a ‘cordon bleu’ correspondence cookery course so that’s going back some.  I like the idea of some venison in there, I think I have a red fillet in the freezer - thanks for that suggestion.

4 hours ago, Jonty said:

Thanks, I’ve done a few of these now and I’ve not had any disasters- with a meat thermometer it takes all the uncertainty away.

You’re right about the 30 years thing Walker570 - my mother in law taught me how to do it - she taught her self from a ‘cordon bleu’ correspondence cookery course so that’s going back some.  I like the idea of some venison in there, I think I have a red fillet in the freezer - thanks for that suggestion.

Or rabbit…:whistling:

looks really nice mate, hope you all enjoy it...:good:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished putting tomorrow’s dinner together.  Duck, then port and apricot stuffing, then pheasant, followed by sage and onion stuffing, then a layer of pigeon breasts topped with another little layer of stuffing.  The underside looks like Frankenstein stitched it together 😀

4769BCBC-9B9C-4CB9-917A-9AD74CD7B4AD.jpeg

09FD1B9B-2EAC-4101-AE7C-889ACB1FAC6A.jpeg

F87B9FF4-3190-4184-BE7C-CC285517E8C4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That looks awesome.  A few slices of smoked streaky bacon over it and good to go.   Photo when cooked and sliced please.

Just disappointed you did not include squirrel.

😀😀😀

41 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Great stuff. I did a 5 and a 7 bird before. Best bit about it was getting to text my mates telling them I spent Christmas Eve boning 7 birds...

Brilliant mate - this was three and I needed a rest between each one 😂

Cheers Dave it was very good indeed - hope you had a good day yourself 👍

46 minutes ago, old'un said:

You've done yourself proud there mate, bet it went down well with all the trimmings.

Well done. :good:

50 minutes ago, ditchman said:

christ that looks nice............skin done loverly..........did you make a sauce or a gravy ?

I did do ditchy, I made stock with the carcass and my 11 year old boy (trainee gravy chef) helped me make a port  gravy with the pan drippings and the stock - the fat from daffy went on to the roasties.

7E757B25-6652-4C01-BC5E-CB550D153B7F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jonty said:

Cheers Dave it was very good indeed - hope you had a good day yourself 👍

I did do ditchy, I made stock with the carcass and my 11 year old boy (trainee gravy chef) helped me make a port  gravy with the pan drippings and the stock - the fat from daffy went on to the roasties.

7E757B25-6652-4C01-BC5E-CB550D153B7F.jpeg

That does look lovely,  well done 👍