Older low milage car

Lloyd90

I’ve seen a car I’m interested in, it’s an older model but very low milage. 

2013 X-trail but only over 7,000 miles. 

4x4, price seems ok, been reduced since I first saw it go up. 

Would you prefer to buy a newer car with more miles? Or an older car that’s probably been sat on some old persons drive for the last few years? 

My mate looked up the MOT’s and said the last year it only did just over 400 miles. 

Anyone uses the older model X-trail? How’d you get on with it? 

Miles wear things out, sitting around seizes things up and causes niggles, take your choice.

i got an 06 van that hadn’t That had done 50k and had been sorn for 7 years without been started, I was warned of a multitude of horrors, after putting a battery and fuel in it, she started, straight through the mot, and never missed a beat since, now on 120k.

I have only ever purchased two new cars since 1960.  I normally look around dealers I know and trust and buy reasonably low mileage vehicles which have full service history recorded.   All of my cars run till they drop.  My wife has a litle Skoda at the moment which had one lady owner and was purchased from a small family village company I know well and who do all of my servicing. It is a cracking little car.   Our 'best' car is a Jaguar X Type AWD estate circa 2008.  I purchased it at 54000 miles it has a full service history and only went to the main dealer imediately after purchase new for service once and then was looked after buy a local village garage who put notations in the service book as to what may need looking at next time through similar to my service/repair garage. That car is a joy to drive.  My Landy is 1989, I paid £600 for it over ten years ago and probably spent £4000 upgrading it.  It had done 77,000 when I purchased it and has now done 240,000.  Don't just buy it because it looks pretty. Ask for the full service history/book and if that is not forthcoming look elsewhere.   Touch wood, not had a dud yet but there again I don't have to keep up with the nieghbours.

I have a 16 plate from new Volvo XC70,  just turned 23,000 yesterday. Had a new battery for MOT a couple of weeks ago as low mileage kills it with all the electronic gadgetry. It always goes into Volvo.

Sales manager phoned me and made me an offer on it, says it would sell the same day it hit the forecourt being low miles.

I don't know if that's any help to you. Apparently genuine low mileage cars are very sort after. 

refuse to buy a new car.............never have done

i bought my suzuki swift ...its 08 with 48k on it...no scratches 6 owners....(think it was a pool car)

mate changed all the oils on it...i put in expensive petrol in it ...fettled about with it and took it for a 100 mile fast tough drive to heat and clean the engine up.............

....best car ive ever had........

Some years ago, I bought my wife a Vauxhall Corsa automatic from the Executor of an old lady's estate in York. It was ten years old and had done 5k mlies. She drove it from outside York, into York, every week to do her shopping. Got stolen from outside my house six months later. It had been faultless and I got paid out £800 more than I paid by the Insurer - after a bit of haggling. They offered me half of the final sum - I spoke to engineer who said I could get a replacement easily. I told him to buy one with full service history (by then 10k miles) - any colour except green - and drop it off at my home. They paid up. Never had a brand new car - bought one with 500 miles on it and a couple with 1k. In the OP's shoes, i would buy the car. 

How many owners? I would suspect 1, the seller should know the story of the car I would have thought? Bear in mind some serviceable components have a time related change frequency as well as miles. I was looking at a ‘08 freelander with 100k on it....timing belt hadn’t been done because it change is at 150k.....when you check service schedules it’s 150k or 10 years which ever comes first.

As long as the body isn’t rusted and it’s starts, runs and drives ok everything else could be changed at a service?

41 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Some years ago, I bought my wife a Vauxhall Corsa automatic from the Executor of an old lady's estate in York. It was ten years old and had done 5k mlies. She drove it from outside York, into York, every week to do her shopping. Got stolen from outside my house six months later. It had been faultless and I got paid out £800 more than I paid by the Insurer - after a bit of haggling. They offered me half of the final sum - I spoke to engineer who said I could get a replacement easily. I told him to buy one with full service history (by then 10k miles) - any colour except green - and drop it off at my home. They paid up. Never had a brand new car - bought one with 500 miles on it and a couple with 1k. In the OP's shoes, i would buy the car. 

Its a little known fact that when a car is a total loss the insurance company has to pay you the agreed value as stated on the policy. That is the contractual terms of the agreement. They charged you a premium based on that agreed value and a contract was made.

None of this "well the book value is only £xxxx " malarkey. Thats just them trying to flim flam you and most times they get away with it because people generally don't know any better.

We had quite a few vehicles that were a total loss when we ran vehicles on the company, We always got the full value after a fight

The same when my mother's Micra was written off by somebody who ran in the back, the bloke on the other end of the phone tried everything he could to knock us down 

Vince - interesting to know that.

The lad who stole ours, crashed whilst being chased by the Police.  Four scrotes were in the car - well known to the Police. The driver - according to the Police - stole a Corsa every day to joy ride.

Edited by Gordon R

My wife drives a 09 Astra 1.8 auto with 22k on the clock and 6 stamps in the book . Had it for three years and it has been faultless . One previous owner and genuine mileage .  She would not get rid of it and says it will see her out .This is the original little old ladies car that goes to Tescos twice a week and church on Sunday .

harnser

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Its a little known fact that when a car is a total loss the insurance company has to pay you the agreed value as stated on the policy. That is the contractual terms of the agreement. They charged you a premium based on that agreed value and a contract was made.

None of this "well the book value is only £xxxx " malarkey. Thats just them trying to flim flam you and most times they get away with it because people generally don't know any better.

We had quite a few vehicles that were a total loss when we ran vehicles on the company, We always got the full value after a fight

The same when my mother's Micra was written off by somebody who ran in the back, the bloke on the other end of the phone tried everything he could to knock us down 

No honour in the car insurance trade!!

I've had a few low milage older cars over the years, I can honestly say they were the most niggly problematic cars I've owned.

Seals perish being stood exhaust rots away, wiring cone toons corrode, fan belts and such perish. Suspension bushes dry rot.

X trails were a nightmare for some owners, never mind a low miler that's stood around. 

Your choice Lloyd90 it's a no from me. 

Modern cars are capable of high miles, it's age that rots them.

Edited by figgy

On 16/12/2020 at 15:27, figgy said:

I've had a few low milage older cars over the years, I can honestly say they were the most niggly problematic cars I've owned.

Seals perish being stood exhaust rots away, wiring cone toons corrode, fan belts and such perish. Suspension bushes dry rot.

X trails were a nightmare for some owners, never mind a low miler that's stood around. 

Your choice Lloyd90 it's a no from me. 

Modern cars are capable of high miles, it's age that rots them.

Niced to get a balanced perspective :) lol 

I'm in no rush, got a payment coming my way at some point relatvely soon so can sit and wait and pick carefully. 

Hello Lloyd ,not always but with alotof ex mobility cars you will find scratches and wear on The seat for example when someone slides in or in bad cases wheel chair marks or walking stick crutches marks etc maybe only small on the other hand we bought a Skoda  and it has any marks at all.I am not saying this is correct in all cases ,hope this helps

I would be scared buying a older low mileage car then doing a lot of motorway or other miles on it things might give or not be used to it and cause problems 

One of the best cars i ever bought was a mobility Meriva car it had a few scratches on the plastic boot trim putting the wheel chair in and out but it had everything changed all the oils , filters and even window wiper blades 

6 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I would be scared buying a older low mileage car then doing a lot of motorway or other miles on it things might give or not be used to it and cause problems 

One of the best cars i ever bought was a mobility Meriva car it had a few scratches on the plastic boot trim putting the wheel chair in and out but it had everything changed all the oils , filters and even window wiper blades 

Well you keep being scared then and we will reap the bargains!

My current car (2011 Ford Kuga) has done less than 4K in the last two MOT’s before I got it, (71K in total) second car.

I only do 3-4K a year so it’s not going to fly up. (A lot less this blooming year)

I would go and look at the X-Trail as I’m a fan, I’ve had 2.

Only reason I didn’t buy another was the tax, the ones I was looking at were £300/year.

Kuga is £210

:shaun:

On 15/12/2020 at 03:14, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve seen a car I’m interested in, it’s an older model but very low milage. 

2013 X-trail but only over 7,000 miles. 

4x4, price seems ok, been reduced since I first saw it go up. 

Would you prefer to buy a newer car with more miles? Or an older car that’s probably been sat on some old persons drive for the last few years? 

My mate looked up the MOT’s and said the last year it only did just over 400 miles. 

Anyone uses the older model X-trail? How’d you get on with it? 

Just make sure it’s not 7,000 miles 2nd time around the clock 😱