new 410 cartridge

Just been given a box of some new Lyalvale Express 410 shells to try. Supreme Game 19g  #7s  3 inch  roll turnover.  I had previously used 410 Lylevale and found them wanting but apparently these have been designed to compete with the Hull High Pheasant which I have found to be an excellent cartridge.  Will give them a try this week and report back.

I have never been able to get on with Express in .410 

The usual issue is if you shake the cartridge it sounds like a box of matches, how do you even hope for half a pattern with that? 

I love the Gamebore Hunting .410 .... Clean, hard hitting and a proper crimp at the end. Just trying to find them is the issue (locally) 

I have used a lot of Express 2 1/2 inch .410’s over the years and found them very effective in 14 gram #7 or #9. They are far superior to the old Eley Fourlong. I have recently switched to the new Eley Trap 7 1/2 and think the Eley are better. My guns are old English and do not take the 3 inch magnums.

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Just been given a box of some new Lyalvale Express 410 shells to try. Supreme Game 19g  #7s  3 inch  roll turnover.  I had previously used 410 Lylevale and found them wanting but apparently these have been designed to compete with the Hull High Pheasant which I have found to be an excellent cartridge.  Will give them a try this week and report back.

Are they the same as these but 19g?

I've been using them a while, it's all my RFD stocks in .410.

The box pictured is 9g, 2" , they destroy rats, kill squirrels, kill rabbits, bring down pigeon if close enough. 

I use the 3" occasionally although they can be dirty.  

20201215_081309.jpg

My daughter uses the 2 1/2" for clays

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Always interested in a new .410 cart .19 grm of no7 should be interesting 

Yes please ,with the report .

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

The usual issue is if you shake the cartridge it sounds like a box of matches, how do you even hope for half a pattern with that? 

I love the Gamebore Hunting .410 .... Clean, hard hitting and a proper crimp at the end. Just trying to find them is the issue (locally) 

Stop moaning! You're on a winner. Shake them until the magpie is decoyed and then slip it in the gun and shoot it. :yes:

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

The box pictured is 9g, 2" , they destroy rats, kill squirrels, kill rabbits, bring down pigeon if close enough. 

20201215_081309.jpg

No , these are a brand new loading. I just happen to know the person who instigated Lylevale making these up and he gave me a box for evaluation.  I'm out on Thursday on the pheasants so will try them out and report back  MIND!!!!!  I doubt if they are capable of improving my shooting ability.

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

20201215_081309.jpg

Someone gave me 50 of these 2 inch Express cartridges with No.6 shot. Only about 86 pellets per load, I believe. Thinking that they would be unsuitable for my usual .410 uses, a friend and I went out and wasted them on clays. We were astounded what we hit. Obviously, some clays must have slipped through the thin pattern somewhere, but the results were amazing.

4 hours ago, Sprucey said:

Going on what you said about the pattern, 2" don't rattle only 2 1/2" & 3". I was out with the .410 this morning so fired one 2 1/2" at a dead fallen tree at about 15yards. Couldn't try a 3" as my moderated 410 is a max of 2 1/2". The pattern was all within an 8" circle. Perfectly acceptable for rats/squirrels. No idea at any other ranges as I don't like to mess about on my perm but had just dropped two squirrels with 2" 9g so thought another quick shot wouldn't hurt. No idea if you mathematicians or technical geeks can do something with that.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

No , these are a brand new loading. I just happen to know the person who instigated Lylevale making these up and he gave me a box for evaluation.  I'm out on Thursday on the pheasants so will try them out and report back  MIND!!!!!  I doubt if they are capable of improving my shooting ability.

Brilliant, look forward to it. I like using the .410 and am looking for a SBS hammer gun soon.

39 minutes ago, London Best said:

Someone gave me 50 of these 2 inch Express cartridges with No.6 shot. Only about 86 pellets per load, I believe. Thinking that they would be unsuitable for my usual .410 uses, a friend and I went out and wasted them on clays. We were astounded what we hit. Obviously, some clays must have slipped through the thin pattern somewhere, but the results were amazing.

They're very good my grandson started on them at age 6 and now at age 7+ is hitting clays about 1 in 4 or 5. They absolutely destroy rats, even fast running rats. Kill squirrels at every range I've tried. Although I've hit pigeon with them, most need either a second shot or neck wringing so I try if poss to use 2 1/2" or 3" on pigeon. 3" drops crows.

2" are currently £7.00 a box of 25.

1 minute ago, Centrepin said:

I try if poss to use 2 1/2" or 3" on pigeon. 3" drops crows.

I am sure I’ve mentioned it previously on here, but one morning I shot 78 crows/rooks using 14 gram No.9’s with no problems. When you think each cartridge contains more pellets than a 28 gram No.6 it is not so surprising. Many on PW will say crows are tough, but that is rubbish they are easily killed if you actually hit them.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I am sure I’ve mentioned it previously on here, but one morning I shot 78 crows/rooks using 14 gram No.9’s with no problems. When you think each cartridge contains more pellets than a 28 gram No.6 it is not so surprising. Many on PW will say crows are tough, but that is rubbish they are easily killed if you actually hit them.

Indeed you have!:cool1:

Well, I took them shooting today. Folded the first crossing 30yrds shot at a hen pheasant, completely missed the following two, then connected with another hen and a cock bird and did not think I had hit a fast high hen bird but was told it was down and picked. Finally flattened a cock bird straight at me 30yrds out.  My impressions of the cartridge ?  Put it in the pattern and it will do the job in spades.  There was a distinct solid reaction to the impact.  The cartridge is a bit sharper than my reloads to the shoulder but being a four ten that is not a problem, it is just there.   I was shooting the equivalent of about 1/4 choke.   Well worth investing in a box and see how they perform in your gun.  Lylevale Express 3 inch 410 #7s

Will change the chokes for the remainder of the box and check the result again at the next shoot.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I took them shooting today. Folded the first crossing 30yrds shot at a hen pheasant, completely missed the following two, then connected with another hen and a cock bird and did not think I had hit a fast high hen bird but was told it was down and picked. Finally flattened a cock bird straight at me 30yrds out.  My impressions of the cartridge ?  Put it in the pattern and it will do the job in spades.  There was a distinct solid reaction to the impact.  The cartridge is a bit sharper than my reloads to the shoulder but being a four ten that is not a problem, it is just there.   I was shooting the equivalent of about 1/4 choke.   Well worth investing in a box and see how they perform in your gun.  Lylevale Express 3 inch 410 #7s

Will change the chokes for the remainder of the box and check the result again at the next shoot.

Good to hear, I'm sure my dealer will have them soon. I'll try a box.

I'm used to Lylevale in 410 & 12 and have been told they're punchier than the equivalent others, but you get used to what you use. 

How did you find them for leaving muck in the barrel ?

About the same as my reloads to be honest. Not a problem for a 458 pull through.  As I said earlier the Lylevale I shot before just didn't seem to have the killing power.

the birds I hit in the pattern today looked like they hit a brick wall. One of the hens did get up and struggle to some cover but the picker up had it in seconds. The lady shooter next to me said she was amazed it managed to get on it's feet, she thought it was hit hard and so did not attempt to put in a finsihing shot.

Just tp make things clear I have no connection to Lylevale at all and any shooter of a 410 knows full well that all guns have a preference cartridge they just seem to like. I spent quite some time working on my reloads until I found an optimum load the gun enjoyed shooting.

37 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

What type of was do they use walker ?

I'm presuming plas wad .but is it a petal cup  (like the Hull hp.).or just a bung like like game bore  and nsi use 

Cheers .I'm interested  in them especially  in a English no7 .2.4 mm ? 

Haven't a clue. Dare not send one through the post for you so I will take one apart just to sate your interest. 

I assume these are UK #7s. 

I will continue to use my tried and tested reloads, but thought this was a good chance to test what was coming out and the only test is really shoot at something other than a back board.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

Talking of fourten cartridges, what’s going to happen if or when we have to use steel, or might small bores be exempt? 

Youll be shooting silly small payloafs. 

I shot some Eley Bismuth today at Partridge and pheasant and they killed equivalent to lead. Yes,  it is more expensive but over a season it would be well worth while considering. I will certaibnly look to bismuth for reloading as and when but have sufficient lead for one more season.  I have used the Tungsten variants but they are a funny shape, said that the results on ducks have been ok and could not see the difference from lead if I put it in the pattern.  I think steel would be a non starter.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I shot some Eley Bismuth today at Partridge and pheasant and they killed equivalent to lead. Yes,  it is more expensive but over a season it would be well worth while considering. I will certaibnly look to bismuth for reloading as and when but have sufficient lead for one more season.  I have used the Tungsten variants but they are a funny shape, said that the results on ducks have been ok and could not see the difference from lead if I put it in the pattern.  I think steel would be a non starter.

Was that Eley Bismuth in .410 Nev?

Yes. I purchased these a year or more ago and had not used them so threwthem in the cartridge bag with all the rest. Folded one fast cock bird at a good 35yrds which hit the deck 100yrds behind me and a couple more at around 30yrds. Only realised it was with the Eleys when I went to eject the empty shells.   Eley VIP 16g.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

@scarteryou was looking for .410 bismuth weren't you?