Pc Andrew Harper

The Heron

22 hours ago, Scully said:

You didn’t answer the question, but then again I knew you wouldn’t. 
In your day ( whenever that was ) you weren’t allowed or even capable of defending yourself anymore than you are today; in fact even less so as I’m assuming tasers weren’t around. 
Coppers were getting shot even then, and they still are, so nothing has changed at all in that respect.
Meanwhile, civilians are being attacked in what seems like ever increasing frequencies, and there’s no one to defend them. It’s a scandalous situation to be in. 

I can assure you that we were allowed to use 'reasonable force' to detain or restrain offenders. On many an occasion I was out without a radio (not enough to go around) or radio reception was so poor it was useless anyway. Handcuffs were not, for some reason, issued in Liverpool. (I bought my own from Richards Gunsmiths). You had no alternative but to drag your prisoner to the nearest telephone kiosk and dial 999.  Having made the call it was not unusual to wait some 20 minutes for the first back up to arrive, then try getting a fighting drunk into the rear of a 1970's mini. They DID go in though, one way or another. Today it would not happen, too many camera's and of course we all know that they never lie  !  Yes, Police Officers were injured and killed, but certainly NOT in the same numbers compared to today, in fact nowhere near. Back then the Courts frowned upon assaults on Police and dealt with them accordingly. In a recent documentary relating to assaults on Police, in some 20 + cases only ONE received a custodial sentence and even that was in months and NOT years.  Most received suspended sentences or more commonly, Community Service. The entire legal system is a joke.

On 16/12/2020 at 20:41, Westley said:

Having 'been there and done that' I hope that day never comes and so do most currently serving Police Officers.  It is the Courts that MUST be held to account for the paltry sentences being handed out for assaults on Police Officers. It should be a minimum of 10 years for ANY assault on members of the 999 Services.

Interesting that you dont feel the same way about the general public.

what about assault on the public by the police like that bloke in London where he got pushed to the ground on his way home and later died or the blind bloke who got tasered by the police who thought his white stick was a samurai sword none of them got 10 yrs i do think they should have got more than they did but arming all police wont work 

Aside from the generality that the British Justice system is a joke...which it is. I am surprised that no one is talking about the fact that these horrible scum are from a community which contains too many people (note I am not saying all, but certainly far more than in a normal society) who seem to think that breaking the law, especially in rural communities is ok. Made worse by the fact that the justice system appears too frightened to deal with them. 

I wonder whether leaving the EU means that we will have the ability to ship the criminal element back to a very close nation still in the EU who have been quite happy for the individuals to be causing trouble in the UK rather than at home?

On 19/12/2020 at 20:09, spanj said:

Interesting that you dont feel the same way about the general public.

Statistically the 'general public' offenders seem to get stiffer sentences (ie :-  MORE community service and longer suspended sentences  ??) than those who assault emergency workers. As a result, there is nothing lost in having a go and often, everything to gain  !

For many years it was almost impossible to get an assault on police charge through the cps. They deemed it part of the job and dismissed it on sight pretty much regardless of how bad it was unless the cop died. Times are slowly changing. A bit like punching a supermarket worker when left waiting at the till I guess in their eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

GingerCat - CPS have a lot to answer for. I am less than convinced that they are fit for purpose.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The new guidelines that come in on 31st December are quite remarkable. Unless I've read them wrong it appears out of hours charging and emergency charging ie someone in custody are all but impossible. Full schedules and all the rest before they even consider it plus all the rest. The 9 indictable only charges  I had the other day on 3 people will be but a fantasy. 6 of them carry life. The rest 14 years.