Golf Course pest control

Karlo5

Hi, I am after a little advice. I have been in contact with a few local golf courses regarding pest control. 

A couple have got back to me allowing me on their course for pest control. However they have asked for a licence and insurance to go and do it. 

I know I'm covered by the general licence but is there anything specific and what kind of insurance am I looking at? 

Thanks 

Karl

Hi, 

I have been onto a few local golf courses about going shooting my air rifle (under 12ft/lbs) of an evening for pest control purposes. 

The club secretary has said he will need to see a licence and insurance.

I know I'm covered under the new GL42 licence but is there a specific licence I need to get. 

Also re insurance, I'm guessing this is general public liability insurance?

Any advice would be great. 

Thanks 

Just join the BASC , full insurance is included, fees help shooting projects, as far as the licence goes you dont need one for sub 12 air rifles, print off a copy of the regs covering licenses and show them .

I used to de rabbit two large golf courses near Boston in Lincolnshire, great sport, it did help I was a member and played golf (very badly) as well.

most clubs like you there at first light and gone before the first golfers arrive, that’s mainly summer months, you maybe ok of an evening during the winter months and lock-down but every club will have their own ideas.

With regards licence, as been said you don't need one and BASC for your insurance or get your own policy.

So what “pest” have you asked to shoot?

The general licences  only apply to birds .so if you want to shoot crows or pigeons on this golf course , then you must be doing so in accordance with the  gls.

Mamals have no such protection  . So there is no general licence for rabbits .rats and squirrels.

Also as been said, no licence required for sub12 airguns either .only firearms and shotguns .

join basc  .and you will have shooting insurance, if your out shooting on other peoples land then its highly recommended. 

No license required for sub 12 ft ib air rifle in England and Wales but required in Scotland. 

I've carried out pest control on many golf courses. Public liability insurance for recreational shooting will be provided by most shooting organisations but be careful as it is for recreational shooting and if you accept payment you may not be covered. Prepare to submit risk assessments etc in the future if asked for.

Shooting can be good but for obvious reasons mostly at night or very early morning. Even the greenkeepers will start before 6am in the summer mornings. 

Mostly be rabbit control but you may be asked to control crows that eat the leatherjackets in the greens or foxes with the appropriate firearm. Might be lucky and get the use of a golf buggy too.

Be very careful when shooting as you will get folk on the course at all times during darkness,  especially if its near houses or part of a leisure complex. 

Good luck 👍 

Good advice above. Even with an air rifle safety is paramount on a golf course and in the summer means a 3am rise from your bed and back for breakfast at 7am.  OR you have to go night vision.  BASC membership is worth every penny.   As suggested above, get friendly with the Head Green Keeper and act responsibly and you could have the use of a golf buggy for after dark NV use, then the worlds your oyster.  Get to know the course so as not to tip the buggy in a bunker .... don't laugh, it has been done.

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good advice above. Even with an air rifle safety is paramount on a golf course and in the summer means a 3am rise from your bed and back for breakfast at 7am.  OR you have to go night vision.  BASC membership is worth every penny.   As suggested above, get friendly with the Head Green Keeper and act responsibly and you could have the use of a golf buggy for after dark NV use, then the worlds your oyster.  Get to know the course so as not to tip the buggy in a bunker .... don't laugh, it has been done.

I've tipped a few buggys over when I worked as a greenkeeper 🙄🙂

Mind that golf courses are normally a haven for squirrels if there's any trees on it, and there usually are. Get a feeder set up and add to the squirrel tally.

But above all, safety at all times and be considerate of any neighbouring houses if using lamps etc

Most people that don't shoot think you need a licence for any gun that's all it will be.

I recently did the Lantra course, many will say it's not needed and say they've been doing it for years, but times change, I'm now a certified safe shot and that will open doors.

https://www.lantra.co.uk/pest-weed-management

There are often out the way places on golf courses where you can put up a squirrel feeder or pick off rabbits,  just keep the green keeper happy.