common sense?

243deer

Has common sense completely left us?

My delivery from DPD, some plumbing bits I need, is sitting outside my front gate. Pleasant driver who tells me that his hand held computer will not allow him to deliver until 7.56. I just wonder which idiot created such an inflexible system? It is a very busy time for delivery drivers for goodness sake let them get on.

We get this all the time at work.

The invention of the PDA has a lot to answer for.

Often a courier will arrive with several packages and he cannot deliver them all at once.

He has to wait outside stores, then takes them in and pings one at a time as his machine allows him to.

Even worse is when the post van arrives in the late afternoon and he cannot collect until his machine will allow him to.

All rather bizarre!

I had an Amazon chap deliver a parcel once. He was obviously new to the job. He had some app on his phone that was playing up which wouldn’t let him deliver the parcel and he couldn’t get his head around it, so through broken English asked me to have a look! I’m not sure why he thought I would know. Anyway I took it and managed to get it to deliver my parcel however I then accidentally cancelled all his jobs for the day and it popped up saying he could re start work the next day. Wasn’t impressed.

I had one deliver that insisted on taking a photo of me opening the door to receive the parcel. I was waiting inside for him to leave it and he was waiting outside for me to open the door. :lol: That said these people are working all hours just now there are so many deliveries. We are getting several most days. 

Hermes......simply the worst courier service going has excelled yet again. The “agent” decided to launch my parcel over the fence into a completely different house on Monday. He then used his PDA to GEO tag the parcel and vanished sending me an email saying “your parcel has been delivered” After spending an age on the phone trying to speak to an actual human, the “representative” in her very best broken English could not get her head around that I did not have my parcel, because the PDA is saying delivered. Fortunately the bloke who owned the house had the decency to realise the parcel was not his and returned it to me, some would not have done that.

Hermes has a "last mile" delivery centre on my way to work in a morning.  Seeing the pile of parcels that Karen is trying to shove into her Ford Fiesta is laughable. Every man and his dog is there with every size of vehicle you could imagine with 90% not Suitable and feasibly not insured for business use

I have to defend Hermes (partially).  The overall 'system' has let me down occasionally - but our local regular delivery person is excellent - as is the one in the neighbouring village (much praised by locals).

However - when the regular person is on leave/off duty - then it can be very dubious.  So much is down to the final stage operative.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We get this all the time at work.

The invention of the PDA has a lot to answer for.

Often a courier will arrive with several packages and he cannot deliver them all at once.

He has to wait outside stores, then takes them in and pings one at a time as his machine allows him to.

Even worse is when the post van arrives in the late afternoon and he cannot collect until his machine will allow him to.

All rather bizarre!

Had this just recently with a ParcelForce driver dropping something off, he had things to cllect from the same street but couldn't cos his PDA says he had to come and get them later in the day.

Regarding Hermes, better than they were but still dependant on the local deliverer for a good service.

Haven’t experienced this particular quirk as yet, but the best one so far was a text to my OH which claimed ‘ your parcel has been delivered and left in your shed as instructed’ along with a nice little pic’.
Only problem was, it wasn’t our shed, nor one we could identify. 😀

Took us the best part of three evenings knocking on doors asking people if they would mind having a look in their sheds for a parcel! 
Someone found it eventually, and brought it round. 

Just think 25 years ago and probably less you would not have had this luxury of tracking, and all this on-line ordering. 

And before that it would have been pop down to town and actually talk to another human being to either order it or ask the location in the store, God forbid we do that dreadful thing nowadays. 

11 hours ago, 243deer said:

Has common sense completely left us?

My delivery from DPD, some plumbing bits I need, is sitting outside my front gate. Pleasant driver who tells me that his hand held computer will not allow him to deliver until 7.56. I just wonder which idiot created such an inflexible system? It is a very busy time for delivery drivers for goodness sake let them get on.

They have to deliver it between the times you are told, it will not let them scan the barcode until the time. Ive seen them sat in van waiting outside mine recently 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just think 25 years ago and probably less you would not have had this luxury of tracking, and all this on-line ordering. 

And before that it would have been pop down to town and actually talk to another human being to either order it or ask the location in the store, God forbid we do that dreadful thing nowadays. 

You mean actually meet another actual  person , and actually speak to them ? .  It'll never catch on . You'll be suggesting that people actually put things in the back of their car , and take it home themselves next. 

The problem is that we rely on tech so much , that it's now overruling the human brain , it's not always that we don't have common sense , it's that were not allowed to use it . Give it a few more years and common sense really will be a thing that was done in olden times.