Miroku MK60 and steel

hutt

Hello, I’ve got a 20g MK60 bored out to a 1/4 and 1/2. Having started life tighter choked it doesn’t have the correct proof marks, but are the components and materials used safe for HP steel regardless? I can’t find an email address for miroku anywhere or would have asked directly.  

You won't find a company who will officially tell you that yes go ahead and whack HP steel through a gun without the relevant proof marks. You might get away with it without damage as plenty have but there is always the chance you could put something far too spicy through it and do some real damage. What do you need to be shooting HP steel at? Are you doing some long range shooting?

3 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Your gun will happily digest Standard Steel.

Do you understand the difference between High Performance and Standard steel cartridges?

I`m not clear what you mean when you say "Having started life tighter choked it doesn’t have the correct proof marks"

Thanks for your post, yes I’m familiar with the difference in pressure. My gun won’t have been stamped as it started life with more restricted chokes not suitable for HP steel proofing.

14 hours ago, hutt said:

Thanks for your post, yes I’m familiar with the difference in pressure. My gun won’t have been stamped as it started life with more restricted chokes not suitable for HP steel proofing.

? More restricted Chokes?? Not sure what you mean.

What age is your Miroku? I ask because I bought mine in April 2009. At that time they came with fixed chokes 1/4 and 3/4 and stamped on the right hand side of the Over barrel it states "Special Steel - 20GA  - 2 3/4" and 3". Mine was multi choked by Nigel Teague and I happily use any steel cartridges.

Hope you enjoy the Miroku. A matter of personal taste, but I prefer it over my Beretta.

23 minutes ago, Bobba said:

? More restricted Chokes?? Not sure what you mean.

What age is your Miroku? I ask because I bought mine in April 2009. At that time they came with fixed chokes 1/4 and 3/4 and stamped on the right hand side of the Over barrel it states "Special Steel - 20GA  - 2 3/4" and 3". Mine was multi choked by Nigel Teague and I happily use any steel cartridges.

Hope you enjoy the Miroku. A matter of personal taste, but I prefer it over my Beretta.

I would suggest that the labelling of your barrels may well mean they are made from "Special Steel" rather they can be used for HP Steel cartridges.

8 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Hutt,

Either I`m confused or you don`t actually understand the difference between standard and high performance steel shot cartridges.

Go to the BASC website and have a read of "Steel shot . what you need to know about safety" For some reason I cannot do a link.

What are you confused about? My gun isn’t HP steel stamped. I’m asking if HP is safe in my Gun. Miroku didn’t proof the Mk60s the same as it doesn’t with tightly chocked mk38s as steel proofing costs cash and you can’t shoot it through tightly chocked guns to start with. But I can’t imagine they have one manufacturing line for lead proof and one for steel. So with my chokes opened, I presume they are one and the same and it is perfectly safe, but I am asking here for expert opinion and clarity. 

1 hour ago, hutt said:

What are you confused about? My gun isn’t HP steel stamped. I’m asking if HP is safe in my Gun. Miroku didn’t proof the Mk60s the same as it doesn’t with tightly chocked mk38s as steel proofing costs cash and you can’t shoot it through tightly chocked guns to start with. But I can’t imagine they have one manufacturing line for lead proof and one for steel. So with my chokes opened, I presume they are one and the same and it is perfectly safe, but I am asking here for expert opinion and clarity. 

I'll answer the question, there is no industry professional or expert on the planet will give you the ok to shoot HP steel through a gun not proofed for it, if they do it could leave them open to legal proceedings if (in the unlikely event) you put some super spicy load into your gun and damage the gun and/or yourself.

Do not out HP loads through a gun that is not proofed for them regardless of your chokes sizes.

Are there people who do it? Yes there are but they (should) know what they are doing and what the ramifications may be but still choose to do it on their own accord. 

From what I've read even if your gun is HP steel proofed, this does not cover you using your own home loads because of the potential for user error in the loading process.

Edited by Rob85
Deleting repetitive text

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

In which case, read the BASC document. There are no restrictions on choke alone, only on choke combined with shot size.

So can my gun shoot HP steel or not? Is a miroku mk60 suitable for 1350 bar loads. 

8 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I'll answer the question, there is no industry professional or expert on the planet will give you the ok to shoot HP steel through a gun not proofed for it, if they do it could leave them open to legal proceedings if (in the unlikely event) you put some super spicy load into your gun and damage the gun and/or yourself.

Do not out HP loads through a gun that is not proofed for them regardless of your chokes sizes.

Are there people who do it? Yes there are but they (should) know what they are doing and what the ramifications may be but still choose to do it on their own accord. 

From what I've read even if your gun is HP steel proofed, this does not cover you using your own home loads because of the potential for user error in the loading process.

Thanks rob, hopefully someone will know if there are manufacturing or material differences in the guns between those proofed and those not. 

47 minutes ago, hutt said:

So can my gun shoot HP steel or not? Is a miroku mk60 suitable for 1350 bar loads. 

Thanks rob, hopefully someone will know if there are manufacturing or material differences in the guns between those proofed and those not. 

There almost certainly will be differences. A lot of companies don't actually make their own barrels so they will order in barrels to suit whether they are doing a run of HP proofed or Non HP proofed guns. Barrels may look the same and not look beefier or whatever but the alloy of the steel will be different.

Post a picture up of your barrels markings, there will be a number showing you what they are proofed to. Where chokes come into it is when you have a standard proof cartridge but are putting it through a tight choke(i think). This is why it was recommended that you read up the steel shot guidelines on the BASC website. 

I would recommend just getting a decent quality standard steel load and sticking with it, I'm sure you will still manage a 35 yard mallard with it.

14 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

There almost certainly will be differences. A lot of companies don't actually make their own barrels so they will order in barrels to suit whether they are doing a run of HP proofed or Non HP proofed guns. Barrels may look the same and not look beefier or whatever but the alloy of the steel will be different.

Post a picture up of your barrels markings, there will be a number showing you what they are proofed to. Where chokes come into it is when you have a standard proof cartridge but are putting it through a tight choke(i think). This is why it was recommended that you read up the steel shot guidelines on the BASC website. 

I would recommend just getting a decent quality standard steel load and sticking with it, I'm sure you will still manage a 35 yard mallard with it.

Hey Rob,

Here you go! 

IMG_3154.jpg

1. There is no such thing as a ‘HP proof cartridge’ in any bore. 

2. You can shoot HP steel shot cartridges through any choke proofed for steel shot.

3. Logic dictates the only difference between shotgun barrels proofed for nitro and those for steel, is the pressure they are submitted to at the proofing stage. If they were different then it wouldn’t be possible to submit your nitro proofed shotgun for steel proofing. 

4. It therefore follows that you can shoot HP steel through any nitro proofed shotgun; if you aren’t too sure then use chokes no tighter than 1/2. 

5. You can shoot any none HP steel load through any choke in your nitro proofed shotgun.

6. Steel proofing does not ensure your barrels will not be scored by steel shot; that depends entirely on the quality and performance of the wad. 

26 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

CIP over the S as far as I'm aware is for superior proof so you should be able to shoot superior proof steel cartridges through your gun as it sits

Agreed. I think the CIP ‘s’ stamp means the gun has been proofed for heavy magnum lead loads, which means it will be fine for steel shot, but without the presence of a fleur de lye it hasn’t actually been steel shot proofed.
There again, as I said, any nitro proofed gun will be able to handle steel shot. 

56 minutes ago, Scully said:

Agreed. I think the CIP ‘s’ stamp means the gun has been proofed for heavy magnum lead loads, which means it will be fine for steel shot, but without the presence of a fleur de lye it hasn’t actually been steel shot proofed.
There again, as I said, any nitro proofed gun will be able to handle steel shot. 

I stand corrected, he was asking specifically about using HP steel so officially it is not proofed for the high performance steel but will be proofed for standard steel.

Unless you want to want to loosen your fillings I wouldn't fancy putting a high performance load through a light enough 20bore anyway.

18 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I stand corrected, he was asking specifically about using HP steel so officially it is not proofed for the high performance steel but will be proofed for standard steel.

Unless you want to want to loosen your fillings I wouldn't fancy putting a high performance load through a light enough 20bore anyway.

Sorry, but without the fleur de lye it ISN'T proofed for steel, not even standard steel. Superior proofing relates to magnum LEAD loads. 
However, it will be capable of handling steel shot cartridges no problem whatsoever ( just like any other nitro proofed gun ) but without the stamp to prove otherwise it hasn’t actually been proofed for steel. 

Over here in the Netherlands we have been banned from leadshot since 1993 and almost every hunter shoots steel shot.

I myself have put thousands of high performance Gamebore Black Gold steel 32 gr. Nr 4 through  my Miroku 6000, the predecessor of the MK 60. It is choked 1/4 -3/4 and not chrome lined. That is why there is some faint scoring in the first few inches of the bores from early steel shot cartridges with too thin plastic cups that did not prevent steelshot from touching the bore. This is not an issue with MK60 guns because these have chrome plated bores. Other than that I have never had any issue. It is wise though not to use anything courser than numer 4, 3,2 mm and keep the shot charge to 32 gr. Max.

26 minutes ago, reindeer said:

Over here in the Netherlands we have been banned from leadshot since 1993 and almost every hunter shoots steel shot.

I myself have put thousands of high performance Gamebore Black Gold steel 32 gr. Nr 4 through  my Miroku 6000, the predecessor of the MK 60. It is choked 1/4 -3/4 and not chrome lined. That is why there is some faint scoring in the first few inches of the bores from early steel shot cartridges with too thin plastic cups that did not prevent steelshot from touching the bore. This is not an issue with MK60 guns because these have chrome plated bores. Other than that I have never had any issue. It is wise though not to use anything courser than numer 4, 3,2 mm and keep the shot charge to 32 gr. Max.

👍