Police - what are they up to?

Lloyd90

On a training course today, they have done studies to look at what the Police time and resources are being used on. ONLY 17% of Police calls into the main call centre are about on-going/active crimes.

83% are calls about social and welfare concerns. Welfare checks on elderly people, missing kids, vulnerable adults, domestic violence, Mental health concerns (13% of all their call outs), people with drug and alcohol issues, highly vulnerable missing adults (people off considering suicide), etc. etc. 

Food for thought. Polcie advised that as cuts to social services and public services have impacted on the public sector so badly that Police are now having to deal with such a massive amount of these cases. 

Does make me laugh (in a sad way) when Police get bashed for not being out there catching criminals and off site site bashed for not addressing rural crime etc. Yet on the other hand people don't think we should have increased public spending or higher taxation. I suppose we can't have it all. 

Next time considering why Police haven't turned up because someone has nicked the bike out of your shed, consider they're probably busy responding to a domestic violence incident, looking for a missing person's who's thinking of ending it all, supporting an old person with dementia who's wife or husband are unable to manage and have had to call the Police. 

Sobering thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

And it is only going to get more worse through drugs and booze as they to get some kind of a fix.

Maybe it's going to get worse with drugs and alcohol as more people's lives go down the pan after covid, losing their jobs, losing their houses, marriages failing, perhaps family members dying etc. 

Police have always dealt with those issues, nothings changed.

Who else went looking for missing persons, or to domestic violence calls! 

The point being is the police are not responding to crimes and just issuing crime numbers for breaking and thefts. Too few police and less police stations. The town I was born in has a big station, bobby's were out in the beat in their areas, in cars on bikes and plenty on foot. Station open 24hours a day. Now with cuts station closes at 5.30. only five bobby's for the whole town. That's why nothing gets solved.

Years ago I was talking to young rogue who was a theif, he was going back up in front of the judge. Police asked him to say he'd done all these other breaking and thefts, in court they'd be basically ignored and taken into account, just a way of police clearing up the numbers.

A big drain on police is, courts and CPS, the courts let too many go or with little punishment they then just carry on taking more police time. Police know the courts won't do my h and the CPS lots of times won't bother taking cases to court.  Anyone is going to get peed off and disheartened at the scroates getting away with it all the time.

Edited by figgy

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Police have always dealt with those issues, nothings changed.

Who else went looking for missing persons, or to domestic violence calls! 

The point being is the police are not responding to crimes and just issuing crime numbers for breaking and thefts. Too few police and less police stations. The town I was born in has a big station, bobby's were out in the beat in their areas, in cars on bikes and plenty on foot. Station open 24hours a day. Now with cuts station closes at 5.30. only five bobby's for the whole town. That's why nothing gets done. 

Exactly.

Yet Police continue to get bashed for not having boots on the ground when someone’s shed gets robbed etc. 

I was not a fan of Corbyn etc. But I can’t see how we can continue to reduce funding into public services in real terms spending but expect more and more work to be done. 

It’s “4pm on a Friday syndrome”

Around 4pm on a Friday police get an influx of calls from mental health teams, social workers and even gp’s surgeries. These agencies are passing on their concerns about their clients - but they won’t be able to deal with it because they will be finishing shortly. These concerns are all mental health related. Police are duty bound to deal with it. Police locate said person and with very little training on the subject have to decide if the person needs to be taken to hospital for the out of hours mental health team, needs out of hours doctor or can be left for the appropriate agency to follow up on Monday. A visit to hospital takes about 5/6 hours, doctor on call response time is around 3/4 hours. Police required to be there until resolved. 

Add to that reduced numbers of police particularly in rural areas and in no time there is very little police left to patrol or answer calls about crime.

This isn’t a criticism is the guys working in the other agencies, it’s the state the government has left the country in.

Oh and just to add to the "fun" if you drive through Peterborough you will hardly ever see any Police either on foot or in vehicles!

Let me qualify my statement for you.

Driving past Thorpe Wood and its Police Station at just before shift change will see plenty of vehicles heading back to the station.

Have a motor accident in Peterborough and ring for assistance and you usually get 4 or even 5 police vehicles within minutes!

Almost as if they were all sitting bored in their offices and as soon as the call goes out, they all go out for a chance to see daylight.

I used to have great respect for the Police and have worked with them over the years, but the last 7 or 8 years have seen them become an outfit that does not do what it should. 

11 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

It’s “4pm on a Friday syndrome”

Around 4pm on a Friday police get an influx of calls from mental health teams, social workers and even gp’s surgeries. These agencies are passing on their concerns about their clients - but they won’t be able to deal with it because they will be finishing shortly. These concerns are all mental health related. Police are duty bound to deal with it. Police locate said person and with very little training on the subject have to decide if the person needs to be taken to hospital for the out of hours mental health team, needs out of hours doctor or can be left for the appropriate agency to follow up on Monday. A visit to hospital takes about 5/6 hours, doctor on call response time is around 3/4 hours. Police required to be there until resolved. 

Add to that reduced numbers of police particularly in rural areas and in no time there is very little police left to patrol or answer calls about crime.

This isn’t a criticism is the guys working in the other agencies, it’s the state the government has left the country in.

I’m the one going out in the middle of the night with the 2 Doctors and doing those assessments. 

Seems to be different in different areas. In our area the Police have a designated ward to drop them off to where it is locked and the Police can leave unless the person is very challenging or aggressive (which thankfully is quite rare). 

When not out doing those assessments I am on the Emergency social services desk, dealing with CP, welfare, homelessness, and any other type of emergency where social services would be involved. 

To be fair to workers, we don’t get many who just hand over their out standing work. Some try it on, they get told off. 

We do get some handed over that are emergencies that cannot wait and we will try to respond. 

There have been big cuts to social services and health, the issues then over spill into other areas, such as mental health and the Police having to deal with people who really should be in very well supported placements or packages. 

My wife works for the police and the lack of man power is unbelievable. Her current team is made up of officers(various ranks), and PCSO’s. When she started 15 years ago the staffing ratio was 65% higher than it is now. That is just the front line staff. There are not enough people to do the job. The original post was correct that undertake more social calls than fight crime 

The police don't provide value for money. That's not to say we shouldn't have more front line staff (haven't 20,000 more been recruited?) but the inefficiencies need to be drastically tackled. I saw that first hand with a piece of work I did recently.     

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

There have been big cuts to social services and health, the issues then over spill into other areas, such as mental health and the Police having to deal with people who really should be in very well supported placements or packages. 

Mental health has been under funded for so many years that the amount now requiring help is overwhelming.

The supported housing is simply not enough now.

I have worked on a regular basis with the social workers in a children’s home and they do a fantastic job, I’m not tarring everyone with the same brush. 

There is no such wards here, it’s all dealt with in A&E with a police guard. 

Regrettably, the police have become politicised. The first step was the appointment of Crime Commissioners. A hugely wasteful and unneccessary layer of political interference. Most senior officers are now the product of our left leaning universities and you can see this reflected in the way public order policing is managed.

Any demo or gathering that smacks of left wing philosophy or identity politics is policed with kid gloves. Remember Extiction Rebellion, BLM and statue smashing? Officers in shirt sleeves and lots of kneeling or running away. Anything that smells of a centre or right viewpoint recieves the full force of the heavy brigade in intimidating riot gear. Surrounding Churchills statue or anti lockdown demos leads to a beating and arrest.

Report a burglary and the police don`t want to know. Report a "hate crime" and they`ll be there within minutes. Once upon a time officers actually knew what they were talking about having been adequately trained. I recently watched a You tube clip of an officer eventually arresting someone for a non existant offence under the covid regulations during which the officer was quite literally making it up as he went along.

Frightening times. It is said that we get the police service that we deserve.

My mates daughter has always wanted to be in the force and recently achieved her goal. She told us that most of the time they are just sat up in the car’s checking car reg as they drive past on their own phones as it’s quicker than their system and picking on drivers as it’s an easy conviction/money. 
She voiced her concerns to her boss who wasn’t interested. She is now reconsidering her life options as that’s not how life should be. 

I remember reading a couple of years ago that a lot of police time is taken up by constantly attending the same individuals or families for the same type of incidents repeating themselves, the report said that part of the problem was that even if the persons were arrested the courts followed minimal sentencing guidelines and these persons were straight back out and carrying on the cycle.
This was / is a massive drain on manpower.

No doubt we all know of "that family" in our local area that the police are always at their door, or that individual that takes 4 officers just to approach.

8 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I remember reading a couple of years ago that a lot of police time is taken up by constantly attending the same individuals or families for the same type of incidents repeating themselves, the report said that part of the problem was that even if the persons were arrested the courts followed minimal sentencing guidelines and these persons were straight back out and carrying on the cycle.
This was / is a massive drain on manpower.

No doubt we all know of "that family" in our local area that the police are always at their door, or that individual that takes 4 officers just to approach.

I am sure that is the case, unfortunately due to our Snowflake Constitution it will never change.

Wrongdoers get such a weak a reprimand that they do it again, they breed little versions of themselves and so it goes on!

14 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

She told us that most of the time they are just sat up in the car’s checking car reg as they drive past on their own phones as it’s quicker than their system and picking on drivers as it’s an easy conviction/money. 

I will have to pass that onto my mate who runs the database systems for that - I turned down the job but recommended him for it - TBH it didn't sit well with me more than anything else.

All the talk about staff reductions needs to be taken in context. There may well be fewer staff than 15 years ago but it's still almost twice the number from 50 years ago. The reality is that the police have chosen to get involved in all manner of manpower draining activities which have nothing to do with law and order. In fact, according to several Chief Officers that have opined in the last couple of years their priority is Public Safety which strikes me as an admission that they'd rather have a nebulous and unachievable primary role than deliver what the public expects of them which is the maintenance of law and order.

2 days ago there was a news item about a sparrowhawk that flew in an open door and roosted on top of a lady's Christmas tree. Local wildlife experts came in and released the bird unharmed but also in attendance was a police officer. Why? In what respect could it ever be considered a matter for the police?

Edited by Westward

1 hour ago, Westward said:

All the talk about staff reductions needs to be taken in context. There may well be fewer staff than 15 years ago but it's still almost twice the number from 50 years ago. The reality is that the police have chosen to get involved in all manner of manpower draining activities which have nothing to do with law and order. In fact, according to several Chief Officers that have opined in the last couple of years their priority is Public Safety which strikes me as an admission that they'd rather have a nebulous and unachievable primary role than deliver what the public expects of them which is the maintenance of law and order.

2 days ago there was a news item about a sparrowhawk that flew in an open door and roosted on top of a lady's Christmas tree. Local wildlife experts came in and released the bird unharmed but also in attendance was a police officer. Why? In what respect could it ever be considered a matter for the police?

Well said.  My neighbours had a garage fire about 15 months ago - no one hurt, on a very minor road, no traffic issues - and attended by almost as many police as firemen, despite it being a completely accidental event.  Two police remained as long as the fire brigade - despite there being absolutely no need for them there.