Brush cutter

Lloyd90

I am considering buying a strimmer / brush cutter (strimmer with a metal / mulching blade?) for use cutting rides through some currently very thick bramble that has taken over on the shoot. 

We cut it back a bit last year but it has obviously grown back. I used a mates last time but it’s obviously going to be a yearly / on-going job. 

Any advise on which power and brands to try and pick up? I see you can pick up a mulching metal cutter blade for a few quid on eBay etc. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I am considering buying a strimmer / brush cutter (strimmer with a metal / mulching blade?) for use cutting rides through some currently very thick bramble that has taken over on the shoot. 

We cut it back a bit last year but it has obviously grown back. I used a mates last time but it’s obviously going to be a yearly / on-going job. 

Any advise on which power and brands to try and pick up? I see you can pick up a mulching metal cutter blade for a few quid on eBay etc. 

Before taking such deadly and decisive action against those poor brambles which lets be honest are only doing what nature designed them to do, Have you actually taken the opportunity to ask them to grow somewhere else? Or maybe if they could keep their growing activities to a slow creep?😁

52 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Before taking such deadly and decisive action against those poor brambles which lets be honest are only doing what nature designed them to do, Have you actually taken the opportunity to ask them to grow somewhere else? Or maybe if they could keep their growing activities to a slow creep?😁

I've had a word with them last year mate I told them to stay in line or I'd be back again this year... 

35 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Stihl FS45 down the road from me for £100 on FB market 

sounds like it's worth a punt, but make sure it's got a tri-blade and not just the nylon cord. a triblade will do almost anything within the remit of brush cutters, a nylon cord won't! If the area you have to hammer has a lot of bramble and ivy, then having a twin blade's also useful. Anything growing horizontally is a bit of a pain, but the downward point blades on the twin slices through horizontal growth.

image.png.48e1fd88aa5eb43c89bbab28b43eaa77.png

image.png.80b7872e0bf39f21071eb46f70c1411f.png

16 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

sounds like it's worth a punt, but make sure it's got a tri-blade and not just the nylon cord. a triblade will do almost anything within the remit of brush cutters, a nylon cord won't! If the area you have to hammer has a lot of bramble and ivy, then having a twin blade's also useful. Anything growing horizontally is a bit of a pain, but the downward point blades on the twin slices through horizontal growth.

image.png.48e1fd88aa5eb43c89bbab28b43eaa77.png

image.png.80b7872e0bf39f21071eb46f70c1411f.png

Can just add one of those afterwards can't I? About £15 on ebay/ amazon for a mulching one I think 

hire a walk behind  flail mower you wont regret it      been there done all of the above to save costs   cut and burn for a few weekends  tore up to hell      one weekend on a flail mower everything mullered no burning or tidy up   easier on dogs etc as no briar stalks left  if higher up stuff    a long reach hedge cutter then muller with the flail mower  while taking out briars etc   leaving the good cover 

Pretty much what I do for a living for 6 months of the year. Stihl brushcutter, minimum of a fs55, cowhorns and a harness - helps stop it flinging/bouncing back into your own legs. Full face gear, I've got the scars to prove. Mulching blade, not the 3 prong, mulching has down turned blades that, well, mulch, and with enough speed will take out underground root systems and small tree stumps. 

As saltings says above, I usually hedge cut the **** out of it, get it down to 3/4ft height then smash it up with the brushcutter/mulching blade (difference with the mulching blade it's only 2 prong and both curve down at the end, it still does the same job as the 3 thing thing just better), then if the stumps ain't very high and won't do damage I'll take the flail through.