Any cutlery buffs?

Centrepin

I've just been given a very old, but never opened set of possibly silver or silver plated cutlery. Possibly bone handled, don't think its ivory, may even be plastic? Still in original wrapping. Maybe late 50s or early 60s.

Anybody know anything about it or its value?

I know A Rodgers is a cutlery firm in Sheffield but that's about all.

20201217_141235.jpg

It's too small to see. Certainly there is a (limited) market on eBay for Sheffield made gobbling irons. And Rodgers is a good marque. The odd stamps that you see on some were meant to seem as is they were assay marks but unless there is a crown, or an anchor, it isn't silver. Be careful with bone handled cutlery as you need to wash it whilst holding the bone part out of any water. My parents had as a wedding gift back in 1947 a large Walker & Hall canteen of cutlery. It stood in the corner for years and when I eventually sold it (bone handles so a "faff" at washing up time) it made all of forty quid. Sorry it's not good news...but if it functions enjoy it if you've enough for a few place settings. Me? I use an all stainless set by Oliver & Bower bought in the late 1980s before they too went out of business.

I believe the EP (that I think I can see in the photo) stands for Electro Plate.  You also see EPNS (Electro Plated Nickel Silver) sometimes.  Plated things are worth very little - even if in great condition - and even less when the plating is worn through (as it often is on cutlery.  The handles look like plastic (simulated bone) but I can't be sure.  I have some knives circa 1970s with similar handles that are plastic.  The plastic is very slightly translucent whereas the bone is quite opaque.

Plate is not dishwasher compatible - and nor are plastic or bone handles.

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have a couple of similar sets which were wedding presents of my parents. They all look stunning in their fitted cases but aren’t worth a lot I’m afraid. 

It's probably why I was given them and quite a lot of other stuff. No value. 

Mind you, I got a lovely old hobbing foot, again no value but I remember my grandad using it to repair leather soled boots, so in time it'll go to my grandkids. 

They're Joseph Rodgers. The hallmarks are a star and cross. 

https://www.sheffieldcollectableknives.com/about/joseph-rodgers

I use bone handle butter type knives. The OH likes skinny round handle modern knives that I can't hold as they're too damn slim.

These old knives hold a edge very well. Once saw a programme about a fish market and one of the old timers used nothing but this type of knife for filleting 

Edited by clumber

On 17/12/2020 at 20:52, clumber said:

They're Joseph Rodgers. The hallmarks are a star and cross. 

https://www.sheffieldcollectableknives.com/about/joseph-rodgers

I use bone handle butter type knives. The OH likes skinny round handle modern knives that I can't hold as they're too damn slim.

These old knives hold a edge very well. Once saw a programme about a fish market and one of the old timers used nothing but this type of knife for filleting 

I also saw that programme and there's a chap that stands on the flea market in Chesterfield sells em for £1 each or 6 for £5, I keep meaning to pick a few up when passing ,also a good bit about Wolstonhomle  IXL knives  thanks for sharing .