Sprocker constantly barking.

Rewulf

Its not my dog , its my partners, dont really do dogs :lol:

12 years old Sprocker dog , slightly overweight , but in good fettle , 2 decent walks a day, has a tumour on front leg, but it doesnt seem to bother him.
Vet says its not worth operating as risk of losing use of leg.

The problem.
Hes become very needy in the last year, whines , barks for no apparent reason, make a phone call and he barks his head off till you finish the call.

Cooking or eating of food, ANY food, but particularly meat, sends him crackers, very loud barking/demanding you give him some.
Will actually try and grab it if youre not careful.
Locking him out the room makes no difference, barks , scratches , howls, you would think hes not been fed for days , but he eats well.

Ive tried all kinds of things , bones , rawhide, his own small dinner same as ours !
He wants YOURS, and his eyes glaze over and he can get pretty nasty about it !
Partners daughter had a bag of KFC , he took it off her , and when she tried to get it back , he went for her, teeth bared the lot.

She loves that dog to bits, had him all his life , but shes getting to the point where shes considering 'other options'

Are there any drugs available to calm him ?
Weve tried all kinds of behavioural advice, he just keeps getting worse, has he got doggy dementia ?

Any ideas ?

Dementia - our 15 year old JR is going the same way but so far not aggressive. He stands exactly where you are walking and stares into space and barks his head off at nothing. If he starts any aggression it will be a visit to the vet. I would not tolerate an aggressive dog especially with children~!! 

You could try Dorwest herbs skullcap and valarian tablets. They have calmed down our terrier. He was suffering from fear aggression so neutering was not an option and these have helped a lot. Some people have had a lot of success with CBD oil or paste for calming dogs too. CBD Brothers are reputable suppliers for this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003YDH1V6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://cbdbrothers.com/?v=06fa567b72d7&gclid=CjwKCAiAoOz-BRBdEiwAyuvA6_MMZACG3HJnE3xuGEv-DMynTSDRZTvKEfZ1NklhMLECI4DKazQYxhoCdJEQAvD_BwE

45 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Dementia - our 15 year old JR is going the same way but so far not aggressive. He stands exactly where you are walking and stares into space and barks his head off at nothing. If he starts any aggression it will be a visit to the vet. I would not tolerate an aggressive dog especially with children~!! 

First thing I would do is see a vet in-case he has any pain that may cause aggression. 

However, the dog's mind might be going (dementia type stuff) or also could be behavioural, he might have learned he acts aggressive or pushy and he gets the food (reward). 

It sounds like he has had a good long life but is going down hill. I would either make alternative arrangements, kennel him away from you lot when having food etc. and have him around only when under strict supervision etc. or I would consider how much time he has left to be brutally honest.

As CaptC has also said. I would not take any risk with aggression especially around children. "He went for her" sounds quite frightening to me. If he properly went for her that would have made my mind up there and then and he would have been off to the vets the next day I'm sorry.

How many close calls are you willing to accept? :/ 

I agree with Lloyd. Sounds like the dog is getting to the end of his natural. You have to think not only about physical but mental health. Getting this stressed over relatively minor matters indicates to me his time has come and you have to do the right thing by the dog and hence euthanasia. start again with another pup after Christmas.

5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I agree with Lloyd. Sounds like the dog is getting to the end of his natural. You have to think not only about physical but mental health. Getting this stressed over relatively minor matters indicates to me his time has come and you have to do the right thing by the dog and hence euthanasia. start again with another pup after Christmas.

im with dave  on this its time to do the right thing before or after xmas as two weeks away        mayby after   been a tough year  for everyone      give it what it needs for every ones sake/ sanity   for a few weeks       they always let you know to step up and do the right thing            been there a few times      never a vet    searching for rabbits    its hard but right  last breath happy   and not stressed         took some time with them  before going home  destroyed  there are no words       some pay a vet    that's their choice      

Thanks for the replies chaps.
I should clarify, partners daughter is 23, so its not really a case of being round small children.

Most of time, hes just a normal dog, which is why going the euthanasia route seems a little harsh.
Its obvious hes coming to the end of his time, and though not having much experience of dogs myself, we both understand theres a balance with quality of life and putting them to sleep.
The trouble is , when he goes for his walks , he does seem to enjoy life , and taking that away from him seems overly harsh at this time, its just his mental state is obviously deteriorating along with a bit of trouble with the back legs.

I think we shall try the calming drug route for a few months and see how that goes.
Christmas dinner could be interesting though 😆

Thanks again :good:

On 18/12/2020 at 12:17, Rewulf said:

I should clarify, partners daughter is 23, so its not really a case of being round small children.

Most of time, hes just a normal dog, which is why going the euthanasia route seems a little harsh.
Its obvious hes coming to the end of his time, and though not having much experience of dogs myself, we both understand theres a balance with quality of life and putting them to sleep.
The trouble is , when he goes for his walks , he does seem to enjoy life , and taking that away from him seems overly harsh at this time, its just his mental state is obviously deteriorating along with a bit of trouble with the back legs.

I think we shall try the calming drug route for a few months and see how that goes.

Put him in a crate with his own Christmas Dinner while you have yours.

On 18/12/2020 at 12:17, Rewulf said:

Difficult decision only you can make and I feel for you. I can only say I left it too late with my last dog and it was an unpleasant experience when I eventually made it. That won’t happen again! Having said that I have just spent a few hundred quid on vets fees on an 11 1/2 year old who is retired as I don’t feel his time has come.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

A few days ago he started going right down hill.

Stopped eating, barking, wouldn't climb the stairs, his walks got shorter and shorter, last night I didn't think he would see the morning , carried the fat thing up stairs and waited for the morning , agreed with the missus , we would take him to the vet today.

He woke up , very lethargic , but ,managed to get downstairs and flopped.

Carried him to the car and drove to the vets.

Arrived at vets (which he hates) and I swear to God,  he reared up , started barking and jumped into the boot, which wasnt the best thing with the parcel shelf over.

Tail wagging , took him for a walk while waiting for the vet to come out , he was like a different dog, energetic , happy . Vet confirmed suspicions of possible cancer spread , but thought having him put to sleep a bit premature , prescribed some steroids , changed his food , and hes back eating heartily.

See how the steroids work , and I know hes only got a short time left, but to do it this morning just seemed wrong.

Happy new year !

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Update.

A few days ago he started going right down hill.

Stopped eating, barking, wouldn't climb the stairs, his walks got shorter and shorter, last night I didn't think he would see the morning , carried the fat thing up stairs and waited for the morning , agreed with the missus , we would take him to the vet today.

He woke up , very lethargic , but ,managed to get downstairs and flopped.

Carried him to the car and drove to the vets.

Arrived at vets (which he hates) and I swear to God,  he reared up , started barking and jumped into the boot, which wasnt the best thing with the parcel shelf over.

Tail wagging , took him for a walk while waiting for the vet to come out , he was like a different dog, energetic , happy . Vet confirmed suspicions of possible cancer spread , but thought having him put to sleep a bit premature , prescribed some steroids , changed his food , and hes back eating heartily.

See how the steroids work , and I know hes only got a short time left, but to do it this morning just seemed wrong.

Happy new year !

So sorry mate 😞 

Took my lab in just the other week. They said they could have taken her leg off but I didn’t want to drag it out at her age. 

You will know when the time is right. 

Hope you have a good new year with your mate 👍🏻