Shotgun Cabinet questions, best place to install a cabinet

AWest84

Hi I have some questions about where to put / install a shotgun cabinet. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, and I'd like to get some education on where would be the best place to install it.

I'm new to shooting and this is my first gun cabinet, it's a small cabinet off Amazon (dirty pro tools™ 3 GUN SHOTGUN CABINET POLICE APPROVED RIFLE GUNS SAFE APPROVED WITH 7-LEVER LOCKS A122), my intention is to only have 1 shotgun inside.

Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Edited by AWest84

1 minute ago, AWest84 said:

Hi I have some questions about where to put / install a shotgun cabinet. .....my intention is to only have 1 shotgun inside.

Really! I think we ought to start a sweepstake to see how long that “intention” holds! 😳😂

Firstly, you need somewhere secure, somewhere convenient- if you are going hunting. If you are just doing clays the convenience aspect may not so important. 

Police look for the cabinet to be out of sight of casual visitors and fastened to the fabric of the building. You obviously know the layout of your house, but look for a cupboard under the stairs etc that you can fix the cabinet to a brick wall (if possible). 

Avoid loft or garage due to possible condensation problems 

Ideally an internal wall in a room or other that isn't usually entered by (or where the cabinet is visible to) any casual visitors such as meter readers, delivery people such as postal workers, or by folk "popping in for a chat". Or even people looking in through a window. You are allowed to think outside the box and there's no rule that says that a cabinet must stand upright. So bolted between ceiling joists under a removable section of floorboard would often be looked on favourably. The enemy of course is condensation so it needs to be somewhere that this enemy isn't present.

Edited by enfieldspares

The peanut gallery above makes a serious point, in that you'll find a so called '3 gun' cabinet will be a tight squeeze with 2 guns, and larger safes aren't much more (most of the cost of a cabinet is actually shipping it, as you're sending empty space+heavy steel).  I bought a '7 gun' as I wanted to store my air rifles too.  Of course, in the interim I might have acquired some more shotguns, so the air rifles are no longer in the cabinet.

Anyway, what I would say is, don't use the rubbish fixings that come with it (applies to anything you screw to a wall, actually).  Spend the £5 on some proper anchor bolts from Screwfix or Toolstation - obviously dependent on the substrate you're fixing to.  If you're in a new build with dot-n-dab, buy the proper fixings for that.

As above it will be probably determined mainly by the construction of your house. Put it somewhere that's easily accessible to you but out of sight. Mine is inside a built in wardrobe bolted to a brick party wall using chemical fixings. FEO was very happy with it. He also pointed out that while it's a 3 gun cabinet I could probably get 5 guns in it if I top and tail them!

One problem with this is my elderly neighbour sleeps in the room on the other side of the wall, and imagine the racket when I'm fumbling about half asleep trying to get my gear ready to go out at 4am. Also My girlfriend keeps filling my wardrobe with bags of junk bound for the charity shop so I have to move all that out the way before I can even put the key in the lock... I keep the keys in small combination key safes also screwed to the wall out of sight. 

Haha just the 1, but if I get another I’ll let you know.

Thanks for all the advice; it’s certainly given me some good information.

I’ll make sure to get some proper fixtures for it.

I’m getting the feeling it would be a good idea to speak to the FEO for my area.  

I would like the cabinet in a wardrobe in my room, as I will be able to bolt it to the brick work of the house and there aren’t any casual visitors. I should be able to keep it out of sight. If I ever need to get a bigger cabinet, there’s space lol, but I’m not sure if that would be okay.

Again thanks for all the advice and help

Stay safe