Help required

adzyvilla

Hi all 

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with a question someone at work asked me the other day.

Just how much was a gun license from a post office back in the pre shotgun certificate days? I've asked my dad but he can remember.

Hopefully someone on here will be able to think that far back 

Thanks in advance 

Adzy

Yep ten Bob and no paper work 

Yes old ‘un I remember going in wardrobe on Thursday night looking for that ten Bob note that you put they on Friday night after first pint think I could get six pints packet fags and fish chip supper for two after closing time 10.30 happy days will never see the like again.

Edited by snow white

4 hours ago, snow white said:

Yep ten Bob and no paper work 

Yes old ‘un I remember going in wardrobe on Thursday night looking for that ten Bob note that you put they on Friday night after first pint think I could get six pints packet fags and fish chip supper for two after closing time 10.30 happy days will never see the like again.

You might well be right , there were 120 old pennies in a ten bob note and the evening paper I used to deliver were 3d each and would you believe my ole grandfather had a penny slot gas meter sitting in the corner of his front room , you put an ole penny in and wound the top that sounded like a clock ticking and then the coin fell inside the meter , we lived down the same road and we had a shilling electric meter , when the meter man came to empty the meter my mum thought she had won the lottery when she got a little pile of shillings as a rebate , like you say , happy days that are gone forever .

12 hours ago, snow white said:

I can vaguely remember the penny gas meter and mom going mad when the changed it to a tanner/sixpence but like you said thought she had won the pools when it was emptied.

There are loads of things we can keep going on about but sadly all in the past now 

I must be very young then, or posh🤣 our meter was a shilling, and mum went mental when they changed it.

...and yes, all in the past now.

15 hours ago, London Best said:

Not only did a licence only cost ten shillings, but you didn’t need one to buy a gun or to own a gun, merely to use one outside ‘the curtilage of a dwelling’. In other words, outside your own garden.

Although you did need a game license to kill game and at times I would like it to be brought back

16 hours ago, London Best said:

Not only did a licence only cost ten shillings, but you didn’t need one to buy a gun or to own a gun, merely to use one outside ‘the curtilage of a dwelling’. In other words, outside your own garden.

Similar  to  rod Licence  . A license  to carry a rod . The river Tees i fished years ago was at one time the border  between Durham and Yorkshire . The club had both banks , we had to buy a license  for both counties two fish both side . 

3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

My first shotgun licence was the white post card one no police check or land check and you could walk down village high street at 3am in morning and police would not bother with you. But put a tax in post note on car window you would get pulled .

i still got the white post cards for the old gun licence.first one 1968

Edited by mossy835

7 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

it was so lax then 1963 i was 14 and we backed on to railway line,i shot rabbits from the living room window with my coey 410,so much freedom growing up then.

I was watching a old video from East Anglian Film Archive the other night about Kenzie Thorpe where he walked down his road carrying his s x s under his arm with two geese in his other hand in around the mid 60s, this was quite common in our village as the estuary and the marshes were only down the end of the road , if anyone had a sleeve over there gun we would had thought they were well off which we knew they wernt , they had most likely found it or nick it , with the second option nearer to the truth :lol:

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

I was watching a old video from East Anglian Film Archive the other night about Kenzie Thorpe where he walked down his road carrying his s x s under his arm with two geese in his other hand in around the mid 60s, this was quite common in our village as the estuary and the marshes were only down the end of the road , if anyone had a sleeve over there gun we would had thought they were well off which we knew they wernt , they had most likely found it or nick it , with the second option nearer to the truth 

I know it's not quite the same thing - but I make a point of walking down the quiet country lane where I park up, with my gun out and broken over my arm. No one has ever stoped me yet - and I'm quite within my rights to do so, my family owning the land either side of the road.

On another note, and I may have said it on here before - my grandfather and great grandfather use to take their shotguns into the pub after shooting rabbits in the family sand quarry. Not that I would ever dream of doing that now.

Edited by PeterHenry

On 18/12/2020 at 13:29, adzyvilla said:

Hi all 

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with a question someone at work asked me the other day.

Just how much was a gun license from a post office back in the pre shotgun certificate days? I've asked my dad but he can remember.

Hopefully someone on here will be able to think that far back 

Thanks in advance 

Adzy

Here we go. 1964 Licence.

Gun License 1 of 2.pdf Gun License 2 of 2.pdf