Spalted beech finish..

boo

Looking for a bit of help , I've sanded & started to danish oil these two spalted beech pieces, both starting to look good , photos dont really due justice, question is I'm looking for a finish that doesn't look plastic but brings out the colours of the disk , so thinking of shellac , briwax do some but new territory, so any recommendations more than welcome, cheers...

20201218_184409.jpg

I have a new product, I saw used on You Tube, its called Shellawax and to be honest its the dogs danglies. I got it in gloss but I beleive you can get it matt or satin as well. 

A tad expensive but you really don't need a lot for a good solid finish. Its geared toward wood turners but I've used it on many a knife handle even resin.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Always get the gloss you can knock the finish back to how you want.

You can knock back gloss varnish with fine wire wool and it looks really nice. 

Personally I use pure Tung oil for stuff like this. Those pieces will pull it in like hell though so be prepared to apply plenty of coats. 

I also sometimes wax over the top with a mixture of beeswax, carnauba and tung oil to finish. 

21 hours ago, boo said:

Finished the spalted beech off , it's not perfect, but ok , next Time , do a few things differently, other is a piece of cherry , that is going as a gift.....

20201223_124127.jpg

20201223_124437.jpg

Its a great feeling  to give away your hard work , and to have others treasure  it . No amount of money , can replace that feeling .

Edited by johnphilip