Alarm - help needed.

Gordon R

My youngest son has a detached garage, but no mains electric supply to it. Long term, it is easy enough to lay an armoured cable, but he is after a short term fix. He has lights in the garage  - 12v LEDs powered from a car battery. The car battery is trickle charged by a solar panel. I have a full house alarm in my own garage - powered by mains supply with battery back up - which I installed myself. Has anyone any experience of using a car battery to feed an alarm system, with the normal battery back up?

Any advice would be welcome.

My lad's solar panel is on a smaller scale.

Might have a solution. The garage alarms use either 1.5v batteries x 4 or 6v dc supply. I have a step down adaptor from 12v to 6v and the correct plugs to use the 6v supply. I can then use the existing solar panel, plus 12v battery.

What I don't know is whether the batteries will kick in if the 6v dc supply fails, or does the 6v dc supply replace the batteries?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of the black powder.

I wired the alarm, via a step down adaptor, to the battery supplying his lighting. Given that it is solar powered and we have had little sunshine  - I appreciate it doesn't need the sun beating down - the load was too much. Reverted to the lighting being solar powered and a separate car battery for the alarm (which he can charge up periodically).

I will look around for a leisure battery, but this set up will tide him over.

On 18/12/2020 at 21:06, Gordon R said:

Long term, it is easy enough to lay an armoured cable, but he is after a short term fix.

Nothing endures like the temporary.

Tell him not to create twice the work for himself, just get busy laying an armoured cable, and have a sparkie round to 'terminate and test'.

Will ultimately mean he gets to spend more time in the garage working on something useful and/or fun.

He is almost content with the current situation. If he needs anything, he can pop round and use all my tools. My eldest is the same. Has a massive garage - before making half of it into a home cinema, you could fit a house in it - but says he has no need of tools when i have the World's supply.