Anyone not having turkey ?

the hitman

We will be breaking from tradition again this year for Christmas dinner- here is what Mr H is suggesting.

Starter- large shrimp pan fried in olive oil with garlic & chilli. After eating the shrimp you mop up the oil with some olive bread.

Main- Thick cut Sirloin steaks cooked rare then cut into strips and sprinkled with sea salt. Chicken stuffed with haggis . Sage & onion stuffing wrapped in bacon. Pigs in blankets. Gravy made from the sirloin juices.

Veg- Roast pots, roast parsnip, roast carrots, pan fried sprouts with chestnut.

Dessert - Home made chocolate torte topped with strawberries & homemade Ferrero Roche cheesecake.

Drinks -Pre dinner- speckled hen ale followed by porta 6 red wine.

What will you be having?

Hitman .

The last two years we have had a goose from ALDI, which has been nothing short of excellent. 

The year before we had a large rib of beef (bone in) which was also excellent. 

Always loved Christmas but often found eating dry Turkey not that appealing. I will go back to it at some point now that I do the cooking to see if I can cook it better myself. 

Might also try a 3 bird roast. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The last two years we have had a goose from ALDI, which has been nothing short of excellent. 

The year before we had a large rib of beef (bone in) which was also excellent. 

Always loved Christmas but often found eating dry Turkey not that appealing. I will go back to it at some point now that I do the cooking to see if I can cook it better myself. 

Might also try a 3 bird roast. 

Agree about the turkey - I have never been that keen.

Mrs H is working on Christmas Day until 2.30pm ( NHS nurse) so we will eat about 5ish - as I cannot cook I get the most important job of decanting the wine.

3 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Agree about the turkey - I have never been that keen.

Mrs H is working on Christmas Day until 2.30pm ( NHS nurse) so we will eat about 5ish - as I cannot cook I get the most important job of decanting the wine.

I will be working Xmas day 4.45 - 09.15 Boxing Day for emergency social care. 

Hope it’s a quiet night! 

We're going full on traditional - for our family. It's gonna be a whacking great piece of excellent beef. Of the members there, I like turkey the most - and I'm just not bothered by it, so we gave up getting turkey for the sake of it a few years ago. Now we get something we all love, but go for something a bit more special as it's a once a year thing. Already looking forward to it

cook all the vedge ...and i mean lots of vedge.....on xmas eve............with 3 types of stuffing with fresh herbs and lemon zest.....cook big chicken on xmas day and have bubble&squeak for 3 days with pickles and slices of cold chicken

also smoked salmon as snacking stuff

no brainer and no fuss...as im the only one now

Leg of lamb and all the usual christmas trimmings. Then Boxing day baked Gammon Joint with the usual thick coating of marmalade mashed spuds and maybe a fried egg.

Never been one for the "traditional" Christmas turkey. and isn't it supposed to be a goose as a traditional Christmas dinner? Like Halloween another Yankee import.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

cook all the vedge ...and i mean lots of vedge.....on xmas eve............with 3 types of stuffing with fresh herbs and lemon zest.....cook big chicken on xmas day and have bubble&squeak for 3 days with pickles and slices of cold chicken

also smoked salmon as snacking stuff

no brainer and no fuss...as im the only one now

good to see your looking after your self dichman

34 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

One of the multi bird roasts  similar to River cottage

Feral pigeon, Jackdaw, Rook, Magpie wrapped in a Crow

your mind is making appointments that your stomach wont keep.................

you eat that and we will be fighting Corvid-20 next year

The family Christmas has always been goose in the past. I do the cooking, so I choose the bird, and I can't stand turkey.

This year, though, because it will be just the two of us, it's duck breast and as neither of us can eat Christmas pudding, I'm doing a lemon almond sponge by special request of the guest of honour.

This will be the 5th consecutive year myself, missus and two daughters will not be having the traditional Xmas turkey dinner. Found that we were fed up with it as by the time we have Xmas  work do’s, family get togethers etc we’d end up having about 4 or 5 Xmas dinners in a couple of weeks. (Granted different this year with lockdown)

Anyway, my missus pretty much has the day to chill and I do the food. We will be having prawn cocktail (original I know) to start, fillet steaks/chips/onion rings/mushrooms etc for main, and creme brûlée for desert. Very little prep/cooking time, not much washing up either. No hassle, then back on the sofa to chill with family-sorted!

We are having corn beef with all the trimmings this year for a change,the spam was sold out.We eat well ,then eat our oranges and monkey nuts from under the tree,well it's a branch this year cause we cannot afford a tree .I have put a squirral on top instead of a fairy. Happy Christmas all. I hope that squirral has left my nuts alone