Frowned upon or ok??

predator160

8 hours ago, predator160 said:

How close is too close? I’ll be lining my bitch in the next week or so. I have a couple of options for stud dogs. But the one I really wanted to use looks to be related. He’s grandfather is my dogs Father. Is he ok to use as stud. 

I think there’s something called a COI (co-efficient of inbreeding?) that shouldn’t be above a certain number ideally. 

However line breeding is how you really bring on the best traits (but also the faults of not careful) of certain lines. 

I would do a lot of research about the characteristics of the ancestor that matches up on both sides and make sure it’s what your after. 

Here you go: 

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health-and-dog-care/health/getting-started-with-health-testing-and-screening/inbreeding-calculators/

There must be other dogs that can offer you your requirements. I am no breeder but seeing issues with Jack Russel terriers over 30 + years with my parents being heavily involved in the JRTC GB  seeing bitches that have been bred with "must have" lines and the outcomes i would personally look elsewhere. 

I would think your far better off looking at fresh blood, the odds on having any problems could be extremely low to negligible. Its your decision at the end of the day . 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

There must be other dogs that can offer you your requirements. I am no breeder but seeing issues with Jack Russel terriers over 30 + years with my parents being heavily involved in the JRTC GB  seeing bitches that have been bred with "must have" lines and the outcomes i would personally look elsewhere. 

I would think your far better off looking at fresh blood, the odds on having any problems could be extremely low to negligible. Its your decision at the end of the day . 

If the dogs are health tested you can guarantee they won’t have the major problems with certain breeds. 

Line breeding when done properly can enhance the quality of the line. You can’t do that with outcrosses all the time. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

If the dogs are health tested you can guarantee they won’t have the major problems with certain breeds. 

Line breeding when done properly can enhance the quality of the line. You can’t do that with outcrosses all the time. 

Asking the right questions and looking into the possible problems with breeding from Dog  a, b or c is certainly better nowadays with more accessible information. 

But i would still look at other stud dogs. 

1 minute ago, Konnie said:

You can put their pedigree in a kennel club data base and it will tell you a score for breeding

Mate selection program ?