Gun makers screwdriver?

Centrepin

Growing up this was known by grandad as his gun makers screwdriver. Never saw him use it on anything but a gun.

I know most tools back then were made in Sheffield and there was a Sheffield gun maker. (I tried to buy a Sheffield hammer SBS gun at auction).

Anyone shed any light on this ?

It formed part of a set of 3, unfortunately the others had perished in a mouldy bag.

20201219_121242.jpg

20201219_121311.jpg

20201219_121418.jpg

Edited by Centrepin
Auto correct spells wrong

My Mum made screwdrivers like that when she worked at Marples of Sheffield, porobly, some 65 years ago.

It is she tells me they are know as a Cabinet Makers Screwdrivers.

I do have some gunsmiths turnscewrs that came from John Clarke formerly of Arthur Turner ( Sheffield ) Ltd, and I will post pictures of these when I can find the ******* !

Edited by tonyshooter

11 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The London pattern on the right (4 items), disc set striker tool in the centre, and the type supplied in gun cases on the left (2 items), though I suspect mainly for show - not use!BB9A7EEA-B074-419C-9565-912E4FA64741_1_105_c.jpeg.2feaf54bfb377d530423fb0e1049f9a5.jpeg

Interesting, the ones I don't think I can save are all the London pattern. The striker tool was in with another set, rusted beyond redemption and the handle soft but the brass collar is intact.

Thanks for that picture, its helped.

Can I point out that in My near 50 years of gun making and gunsmithing I personally have always used screw drivers . " Turn screws " I considered an archaic term was used for stylised  case accessories not always practical for every day use . Many of mine  had far larger handles , to give increased grip ,and thus torque  ,as ell as longer blades .

I had as many as a dozen screw drivers of different sizes on my bench for general use ,some were ground up standard screw drivers , some hand made .. Where as cased " turn screws" would have been ground to fit the screws/pins of the gun they were married to and then only for selected ones . eg. A disc key , its retaining pin , side plate and lock pins .

For any side lock or box lock you would need would need at least 4 and may be 6 different size blades as well as a vice to hold the gun if fully stripping .