Smoked Salmon

Jonty

I stupidly put a post out on Facebook if anyone wanted a side of salmon smoking for Christmas - I’ll not be doing that again as I needed up with requests for 14 so I’m afraid I cheated and bought the fish pre filleted.  It’s a dead straightforward process, 24 hours in a salt/sugar cure. rinse the salt of and 12 hours to dry in the fridge followed by a bight in the smoker.  I’ve only got 5 more to go - I’ll be glad to see the end of it 😀

DDC363C4-1D88-46F0-9E32-0B36CD807F6A.jpeg

B8DD80A6-E60E-4D7F-96E2-25C1A7D901F7.jpeg

77833821-30BA-424A-9CB4-A76B1E5E851A.jpeg

ABC34449-16C3-43EB-833D-497A7AD2CA25.jpeg

DFA71ADA-94D1-4B65-94A9-CA8F217B5587.jpeg

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

Looks very nice Jonty, you could have a nice little earner there, how much are they?

I do them at cost Dave, just for friends and family.  Cost of the fish plus maybe a quid for the cure ingredients and the vac pack bag.  You can make pretty good smoked salmon out of the supermarket offer fish ‘specials’ they do at Christmas.  Even better Morrison’s offer a ‘blue light’ discount at the moment - I’ve just done the sums and these come out at £7.90 a side

7EEF870D-B838-444C-B37F-F4E55D3CD5D2.jpeg

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

I will pm you my address 

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

If you’ve got time to take photos, you’ve got time to do a couple more. I’ll have one thanks.

😀👍

5 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

No, he does smoked salmon! 😂

Sorry, pinched from Peter Kay

I also do lamb, chicken and beef.  

shall I pick up my coat as well as yours ? 😀.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

It looks very tasty, the thing that bothers me.

Why on earth did you go on Facebook, you should have asked on here.  We appreciate good food and craftsmanship. 

So I'll have one too 😜

Good point. well presented 😀. Would you prefer beech or oak smoke mate?

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

Very nice, never smoked fish. Ive done ribs, pork shoulder, briskets, chilli peppers etc. All done in this homemade contraption.

A nice bit of smoked dish would be nice, and maybe a block of cheese.

That looks ace Pangolin.  If you fancied doing some cold smoking such as fish or cheese, I'd really recommend one of these cold smoke generators from ProQ - they are a brilliant piece of kit.  it would easily fill your rig with a steady stream of smoke for 8-12 hours

ProQ.JPG

9 hours ago, Jonty said:

That looks ace Pangolin.  If you fancied doing some cold smoking such as fish or cheese, I'd really recommend one of these cold smoke generators from ProQ - they are a brilliant piece of kit.  it would easily fill your rig with a steady stream of smoke for 8-12 hours

ProQ.JPG

Yup, I need something like that as I've only done low and slow with wood at 120c for hours on end.

Deffo need one of those or similar for cold smoking.

• 4 months later...

Jonty all that looks fantastic what smoker are you running there i,ve just bought a six rack bradley and the cold smoke attachment

i,ve got feed up with my primitive set up now looking fowards to making life a bit eaiser hopefully lol 

• 2 months later...
On 09/05/2021 at 19:50, hafod said:

Jonty all that looks fantastic what smoker are you running there i,ve just bought a six rack bradley and the cold smoke attachment

i,ve got feed up with my primitive set up now looking fowards to making life a bit eaiser hopefully lol 

Hafod  my apologies, I’ve only just noticed your question.  I have a char broil electric smoker but for cold smoking such as the salmon, I use the smoker as a cabinet so to speak and just place a pro q cold smoke generator inside it - there’s a pic of the generator a few posts up.  I looked at the Bradley’s - they are a great piece of kit but the tight Yorkshireman in me was put off by the briquettes cost.

Edited by Jonty

On 09/05/2021 at 19:50, hafod said:

Just be careful leaving your Bradley unattended.  This was my mates smoker a few weeks back - we think one of the pucks caught fire and flared up in the cook chamber.   

BC579598-3DD5-4EB4-9D89-A5A79E74C18F.jpeg