Ferrets

lampro

18 minutes ago, lampro said:

Hi guys can you all keep an ear open for anyone selling ferrets from working stock in the Midlands please Jill's or hobs or is going to be breeding there's instead spring 

Try the ferret welfare people, there are bound to be some need rehoming. 

I've never seen a ferret that won't hunt, but you should be able to make sure you get a couple of animals that are well handled. 

8 minutes ago, lampro said:

Looked into the welfare people, all,neutered and after £80 each bit to much money tbh

yeah, they castrate them too as a rule so no good for putting to a jill. I was looking for a hob a while back and the local rescue wouldnt let me have one because I was going to work it. Freshfields Rescue, run  by an absolute nutter :)

4 minutes ago, spanj said:

yeah, they castrate them too as a rule so no good for putting to a jill. I was looking for a hob a while back and the local rescue wouldnt let me have one because I was going to work it. Freshfields Rescue, run  by an absolute nutter

It has been 30 years since I worked ferrets can't believe how things have changed, they are more like inside pets now just want a couple to go out and teach my lad and catch a few rabbits any old boys on here still working them

18 hours ago, lampro said:

It has been 30 years since I worked ferrets can't believe how things have changed, they are more like inside pets now just want a couple to go out and teach my lad and catch a few rabbits any old boys on here still working them

I'm in Scotland mate, shame as you and the lad would have been welcome to a bit of sport and a couple of workers

20180225_101406.jpg

Been a few years now since I worked ferrets, like you said most being sold now seem to-be for pets (none working) I have few shooting mates over Stafford way I will give them a bell and see if they know anyone still keeping them.

Where about in Staffordshire are you?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Been a few years now since I worked ferrets, like you said most being sold now seem to-be for pets (none working) I have few shooting mates over Stafford way I will give them a bell and see if they know anyone still keeping them.

Where about in Staffordshire are you?

That would be great, I live near eccleshall near Stafford but dont mind a drive to collect and catch up 

3 hours ago, lampro said:

Thanks for offer may take you up on it one day chance to.get back in the fields, where abouts are you 

Sw Scotland mate just outside Ayr, if your ever up this way drop me a line more the welcome to a days sport even a bit of lamping if it interests the lad, always good to get the younger ones started 

Well it looks like ferreting is not as popular as it once was, I phoned most of the people I know that were involved or knew someone who kept ferrets, but they all said the same thing “sorry don't know anyone who keeps them now” even phoned an old keeper that did a fair bit in his day but he said the same, one guy did mention Penkridge market on a Wednesday’s, apparently they have a section where people sell all sorts of pets including ferrets.

I have asked them to come back to me if they hear of any for sale near you.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but if I do hear of any working ferrets for sale I will let you know. :good:

There's  a few sites on Facebook  but they mostly refer to them as fur babies and start asking £50 each for them .

I honestly can see the working ferret going the way of the honest working terrier it will only be a few lads keeping the working strain alive and totally differnt from the show Terriers /Ferrets 

I am really surprised that where you live you cannot find someone local, do you know the Holt’s farm near Walton Hall Academy on the A5013?

The keeper on Lord Lichfield estate near Broadheath, was Ray Brookes, don't know if he's still there.

What village are you near, if you don't want to put it on here PM me.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

I am really surprised that where you live you cannot find someone local, do you know the Holt’s farm near Walton Hall Academy on the A5013?

The keeper on Lord Lichfield estate near Broadheath, was Ray Brookes, don't know if he's still there.

What village are you near, if you don't want to put it on here PM me.

Ray lives around the corner from.me I'm Ranton estate Knightley will start to have an ask around here once xmas is out of the way,finished work now until January so will time to go and hassle folk lol 

Its been a few years since I shot around there but I know a few of the farmers and shoots around that area and I am sure if you ask about someone will know someone who keeps ferrets.

Blimey is Ray Brookes still keepering, he must be getting on, he could be an awkward sod sometimes.

9 minutes ago, old'un said:

Its been a few years since I shot around there but I know a few of the farmers and shoots around that area and I am sure if you ask about someone will know someone who keeps ferrets.

Blimey is Ray Brookes still keepering, he must be getting on, he could be an awkward sod sometimes.

Ray's packed in now he was  still.hatching birds for sale and doing a bit around the estate, I used be under keeper to previous keeper  andy young years ago in needwood where abouts are you

Not far from Romsley near Bromsgrove.

Did you know Sid Rawlings Great Bridgford, he used to keeper for Robert Eld at Seighford, Sid died a few years back so I dont know who keepers it now.

Is John Brathwaite (spelling) still on the estate?

Edited by old'un