PCP hand pump advice

TRINITY

I had a stirrup pump years ago and thought it would be less hassle to get a cylinder tank. Anyway sold the pump and bought a 12l 300bar. Thought it was great until it needed topping up and getting re-tested every 5yrs (I think). With the lockdowns we’ve had found I was stuck getting it topped up. Ended up buying another pump. I suppose the pro’s with a pump are you’ve always got a means to fill your rifles. The pro’s of cylinder is that it’s a piece of p to fill rifle. Won’t be getting rid of pump this time around anyway. 

Hand pump . 

250 bar .is doable .any more and it just gets too hard  

But then bottles only go up to 300 bar so you won't realistically be able to fill your gun up to 300 bar .290 probably but then do you want 290 bar next to your head .? 

Any reg in that gun will have to work so hard trying to hold back such high pressures that consistency could go out the window .

Hello, I started many many years ago with a pump, same as Archie a FN 19, then a AA S410, I found if you keep the rifle topped up every time you had a few shots rather than letting the pressure reduce to a few bar it's easier to pump up, only went to a cylinder when I bought a bottle type PCP, which is what I still use, unfortunately my old cylinders failed the new test so l had to buy a new 7 ltr as I mentioned on another post, at least a few more years shooting👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Depends a lot on which gun you have .

Some of my pcps only want filling to around 180 bar and shoot down to 100 bar ..180 is a very easy pressure  to achive .others need 230 bar starting pressure ,which obviously takes more work .

This can be a factor when deciding  especially if you have a 500 cc bottle which wants 250 bar .(though my mate has a hills pump and an impact with 480 cc and he pumps it up to 240 bar ) .

Thanks for your replies so far.

I have an R10 mk2  . I think the operating pressure is 220 bar. But the gun shop that sold me it recommended I stick to 200bar. I have followed that advice and find it gives me plenty of shots and remains extremely accurate.

What has concerned me about air pumps is that I have read stuff about possible negative effects of moisture from the atmosphere getting concentrated in the gun.

I've used fx pumps for decades and occasionally open up my guns for repair servicing etc .and have never found any moisture inside at all .

I cant vouch for cheaper Chinese pumps .but my current fx turbo mk4 is a breeze to fill my guns .selling for around £180 currently  .

Hills pump is the only other i personally would buy .

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

Thanks for your replies so far.

I have an R10 mk2  . I think the operating pressure is 220 bar. But the gun shop that sold me it recommended I stick to 200bar. I have followed that advice and find it gives me plenty of shots and remains extremely accurate.

What has concerned me about air pumps is that I have read stuff about possible negative effects of moisture from the atmosphere getting concentrated in the gun.

Hello, I had a BSA R10 MK 1 in 22, that is when I changed over to a air cylinder, does it not give the Bar pressure on the rifle ? My FX is 200 Bar and I fill to 195, I do not see the point in not putting enough air in, even 5 bar is quite a few shots, if your going to use a pump keep the rifle topped up regular and it is easier to fill.

15 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Hand pump . 

250 bar .is doable .any more and it just gets too hard  

But then bottles only go up to 300 bar so you won't realistically be able to fill your gun up to 300 bar .290 probably but then do you want 290 bar next to your head .? 

Any reg in that gun will have to work so hard trying to hold back such high pressures that consistency could go out the window .

This......

10 bar either side will not make up for any bad accuracy on the shooters part in my experience.  I have a pump but now use a tank as it is much easier and quicker.

Just had a plink in garden. R10 has 250 on its dial but like in previous post I only top up to 200. Set off at just below 200 and kept shooting to well below 100 and accuracy never altered. This suggests to me a hand pump could be a worthwhile purchase.

Now just wondering what to buy ?

15 hours ago, archiebald said:

Hi! I used it in a falcon fn19 it has been great long term. No moisture problems. Im glad to hear its been handy for others too it has been good for me and it doesnt surprise me its as good as my old hills pump at a fraction of the cost. 

Same. Use mine on the fn19 and had no moisture inside as of yet. Cheap chinese thing. I'm genuinely surprised the seals haven't gone in it yet, I've had it a few years but I don't pump in one hit, I stop the cycle after every 30 bar and leave it cool for 5 mins. 

I'm tall so pumping is easy, I just have to lean over. 

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Same. Use mine on the fn19 and had no moisture inside as of yet. Cheap chinese thing. I'm genuinely surprised the seals haven't gone in it yet, I've had it a few years but I don't pump in one hit, I stop the cycle after every 30 bar and leave it cool for 5 mins. 

I'm tall so pumping is easy, I just have to lean over. 

They are great, I was dubious when I baught mine. I not used it in years, got it out and still works great! I remember paying £150 for a pump in 2001.  I prefer the pump your self reliant. If I went to the range I just paid a pound for it filling several times to save time. 

And the fn19 what a great gun! 

Edited by archiebald