Mossberg 500 hushpower.

Lucasnorth

Hi all. 
looking for a moderated shotgun for some sensitive areas on some new permissions I have, looking at the above and wondered people’s thoughts on them. Or something else, also looked at a 20b O/U folding, never had anything other than 12 bores,

and do you used subsonic cartridges with them.

thanks.

lucas.  

Ive got a 20g pump action huspower, the land owner was happy with the noise reduction, I shoot it with no ear protection.

The pump is a bit front heavy but nothing you wont get used to.

Ive used a range of subs and none subs from 24g to 32g, doesnt seem to make much of a difference from the shooters perspective, maybe hear the diff if you are a few hundreds metres away.

I’ve got the .410 hushpower pump and I think it’s brilliant, yes you do have to think about your range but once you get your eye in that’s fine. Over this past year I’ve used it more than any of my other guns, I like the fact that I don’t wear ear protection with it and decoying it will do all you want.

The subsonic cartridges are very quiet, I’ve only used the Eley ones and I do limit my range with them. But I mainly use normal 3 inch magnums either Eley in 6 or 7s or Hull high pheasant 6s fibre wads are quieter than plastic. It’s the right tool for the job if noise is your concern, just remember to get in close. Have a look on you tube there are some good videos of them being put to good use, I think uk small bore hunter is one of the main people on the tube 👍

18 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Ive got a 20g pump action huspower, the land owner was happy with the noise reduction, I shoot it with no ear protection.

The pump is a bit front heavy but nothing you wont get used to.

Ive used a range of subs and none subs from 24g to 32g, doesnt seem to make much of a difference from the shooters perspective, maybe hear the diff if you are a few hundreds metres away.

Also got a Mossy 500, and agree with all of the above, except that I do notice the difference between Sub and non-sub loads, and I'm pretty sure the report is less noticeable at say, 100yds where the noise-sensitive neighbour resides.

Do be aware that you'll need to stock up on them too, as 20bore subsonic isn't something a lot of RFDs carry.

I also have a Mosy 410 moderated and yes it takes a few hots to get used to but a few clays soon sorts that out.  I have reported on here before...similar question.... that I shot a bout 50 shells at ferals one morning and I was about 100yrds from the farmhouse. The farmers wife did not know I was shooting and that was with my own 19g reloads, certainly not subs.  Cracking little gun out to 40yrds if you do your job.

8 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Also got a Mossy 500, and agree with all of the above, except that I do notice the difference between Sub and non-sub loads, and I'm pretty sure the report is less noticeable at say, 100yds where the noise-sensitive neighbour resides.

Do be aware that you'll need to stock up on them too, as 20bore subsonic isn't something a lot of RFDs carry.

My local has a couple of 20g subs but ordered my last lot from Justcartridges.com and it was a very pleasant transaction.

The 410 is the quietest..you should never use plastic wad in these guns only fibre says so on the hushpower site.

I was needing a silenced shotgun in the end I went with the 410 after trying the 20b and the 12b is just a massive long fat spear of a gun far to big.

The 410 is a nice walk about gun not to massive and gun around the barns. 

I find the cartridges  to be much the same and use any 19 grain fibre 6s or 5s ...I like the fact you don't need ear protection  but don't listen to the hype they are louder than an air rifle

Another alternative is the Atec A12 silencer if you have a pump or semi or single barrel... they screw in the choke thread, good silencer

As you find that even though you use the silenced gun you use your others more 

Good tool though. I also got the normal barrel which is good for the farmers grandkids to use

A third alternative  if money no object is to send a barrel to hushpower for a conversion. They do this to silver pigeons etc

However if I was to buy a silenced shotgun today... I would get a hushpower 20g investarm over under.. they are better than the mosxberg for what I do or the atec a12 silencer in 12b or 20b for a semi 

Edited by psycho

4 hours ago, psycho said:

However if I was to buy a silenced shotgun today... I would get a hushpower 20g investarm over under.. they are better than the mosxberg for what I do

I’d agree with that too, but I couldn’t find one when I was looking, and just occasionally it is nice the have that third shot up the spout.

I know, if you can’t hit it with 2... 🤣

• 2 weeks later...