Bt. Tv broadband package

spurs 14

Has anyone got anything good to say about the above ?  We are swopping  over from virgin to bt  for tv and broadband , all organised for last Friday courier brings all the bits last Thursday , engineer booked between 1 to 6 on Friday , take day off work , no show !!! No call no email nothing , now have you ever tried to contact them ? Since Friday it’s the same msg we are experiencing huge amounts of calls ! Wait up to an hour , nothing ten or twelve times since and cannot get through ! No wonder there’s a lot of calls I guess a lot of them are complaints, if they are that busy why not employ more people ? Or am I being a bit thick not knowing how big business works I’m getting to the stage of telling them to place it somewhere dark and go to sky but then I can’t get hold of anyone to tell them ! Can’t believe any company would think this is how to keep customers happy 

BT have some interesting internal IT challenges - the IT systems that the call centres use so all the sales and order management functions are completely separate from Openreach - the engineers who will visit your house.  It results in a very disjointed customer customer service experience.

I'd say persevere - the BT Broadband service is good.   I'm in the process of having broadband fibre to premise installed - currently on the 7th visit. 

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Why do you need an engineer to call ? When we joined BT we had all the bits & set it up ourselves that was last year but we have now joined Vodafone. Only bad point we found with BT the remote they give you is very very poor quality otherwise they were good.

Blackbird makes a very good point - have you tried plugging the router (will be in the long flat box) into the BT master socket?

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

Why do you need an engineer to call ? When we joined BT we had all the bits & set it up ourselves.

^^^This, unless you do not have a BT landline into the house, I cannot see why you would need an engineer to visit.

Are you sure that the engineer was coming to your house and not to the exchange/street box.

Edited by Newbie to this

No it’s on two emails and a txt we need the engineer and make sure were in , the broadband is just plug and play it even said that info so I’m guessing it’s to do with either phone line or tv , what really winds me up is  all the company’s these days where you cannot actually speak to a human ! They are so big now don’t give a hoot 

51 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

the broadband is just plug and play it even said that info so I’m guessing it’s to do with either phone line or tv

You still haven't told us what the engineer visit was supposed to accomplish?

You're voicing your complaints on an internet forum so presumably your internet connection works.

You can easily test your phone line (note you were with Virgin before, if this was a 'cable' connection, they install their own master socket so you may have to move the phone back to the BT/Openreach master socket).

As for the TV, try plugging it in and see how far you get.

3 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

Has anyone got anything good to say about the above ?  We are swopping  over from virgin to bt  for tv and broadband , all organised for last Friday courier brings all the bits last Thursday , engineer booked between 1 to 6 on Friday , take day off work , no show !!! No call no email nothing , now have you ever tried to contact them ? Since Friday it’s the same msg we are experiencing huge amounts of calls ! Wait up to an hour , nothing ten or twelve times since and cannot get through ! No wonder there’s a lot of calls I guess a lot of them are complaints, if they are that busy why not employ more people ? Or am I being a bit thick not knowing how big business works I’m getting to the stage of telling them to place it somewhere dark and go to sky but then I can’t get hold of anyone to tell them ! Can’t believe any company would think this is how to keep customers happy 

I wouldn't use BT if my life depended upon it.

Their customer service department should be renamed!

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You still haven't told us what the engineer visit was supposed to accomplish?

You're voicing your complaints on an internet forum so presumably your internet connection works.

You can easily test your phone line (note you were with Virgin before, if this was a 'cable' connection, they install their own master socket so you may have to move the phone back to the BT/Openreach master socket).

As for the TV, try plugging it in and see how far you get.

I don’t know what the engineer visit is for I’m just following what by told us ! Yes luckily we didn’t cancel the virgin package so still have broadband and  television , just as well ,  

Sorry to say but bt are abysmal, we were with them for a couple of years, constant drop off of the broadband signal every evening around 6pm and 9pm, the speed was only about 5mb even though we were paying for 20-30 mb, we constantly phoned them they constantly said it was our fault, then engineers came out and every time it was their fault, they over charged us for months and denied it even though it was there in black and white.
We finally left them, got a package from NOW tv, constant good speed, hardly ever drops out, once the box stopped working, phoned them chatted to a very nice person, next day had a new upgraded box , their customer service is great, was due renewal 3 weeks ago, phoned them up asked what they could do for me, knocked off £20 and gave me the movie package free for 6 months and the entertainment package for the same, happy customer signs for another year.

Had em absolute carp their sub contractors cut thru a cable no phone to internet rang them on my mobile to let them know ,told me it’ll be a week before someone could come out !!!! Told them it was unacceptable their customer service was rude totally un helpful, ends up telling them poke it , never again would I entertain those clowns 

On 20/12/2020 at 14:44, spurs 14 said:

I don’t know what the engineer visit is for I’m just following what by told us ! Yes luckily we didn’t cancel the virgin package so still have broadband and  television , just as well ,  

So, was this thread a moan, or asking for help?  Either is fine, but it's unclear to me.

There is no way a DSL connection should, in 2020 require an 'engineer' to do anything.  Plug into master socket, check for green light, connect to router, go.

13 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

So, was this thread a moan, or asking for help?  Either is fine, but it's unclear to me.

There is no way a DSL connection should, in 2020 require an 'engineer' to do anything.  Plug into master socket, check for green light, connect to router, go.

In one of my previous houses I upgraded to the BT fibre (to the cabinet) broadband service. This requires and engineer to install a new faceplate to the master socket. 

In the process of having Fibre to Premise installed - so normal fibre broadband is fibre to the street cabinet and then the copper telephone wires to your house.   The upgrade will see fibre from the street cabinet to the house, upgrading a perfectly decent 75 Mbps connection to 900 Mbps. 

All good except now on the 6th BT visit:

1) BT engineer arrives but can't get the fibre through the underground duct from the street cabinet to the house - I need the 'Dig Team'.

2) A couple of weeks go by and the Dig team arrive (great guys) and put a blue rope in between the street cabinet and the house having found a brick sitting on the duct underground in a bit of public grassed  area - dug it up and re-seeded the area afterwards, perfect.

3) Another couple of weeks and the BT Engineer arrives, fails to properly attached the fibre to the blue rope so it falls off, and then can't get the fibre through either - I need the 'Dig Team' again.  Engineer agrees to let me run the fibre through conduit around the outside of the house and into the study where the Router is, obligingly drills a hole is the exterior wall for me, connects up the Fibre box - that will have a Cat6 ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router. Sort of progress.

4) Another couple of weeks and a BT Engineer arrives because the previous chap hasn't filled the forms in correctly, is unaware that the Dig Team is needed.

5) Another couple of weeks and and Dig team No2 arrive (another great bunch of chaps) and put the blue rope in again.

6) Apparently 8th of January AM is the next visit...6 weeks since last visit, good job I'm not in a hurry.🤪

Does beg the question as to why the Dig Team can't put the fibre in and label it in the street cabinet - one for the suggestion box perhaps.

Edited by Cosmicblue

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

All good except now on the 6th BT visit:

BT or Openreach?

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

3) Another couple of weeks and the BT Engineer arrives, fails to properly attached the fibre to the blue rope so it falls off, and then can't get the fibre through either - I need the 'Dig Team' again.

Too late for you, but google pulling cable through conduit with a vacuum.

Useful, done myself and it actually works!

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

BT or Openreach?

Too late for you, but google pulling cable through conduit with a vacuum.

Useful, done myself and it actually works!

We had fibre to the premises installed, via gigaclear, as part of the rural broadband initiative. I saw them installing the fibre along the country lanes. They were blowing the cable through the conduit in lengths of excess of 1km at a time. Pretty impressive to watch. 

I actually felt a bit sorry for the clown I finally got through too , I let him have the full broadside ! He was the usual full of apology this doesn’t normally happen are you sure he didn’t call marked here he called ! Anyway long story short ,,,,,,,,,, the engineer is booked to put a phone line to the house , we already have one , doesn’t every house built since the 60s , saw we had one I guess from the box in the street and left , no call no email sod all , the broadband is plug and play and apparently so is the tv box but if I want to pay £40 they will send another engineer who will set it up and show us how it works , guess what the answer to that was !!! Why none of this is explained when you sort out you want this package I don’t know , oh I’m sorry sir they should have , oh I’m sorry sir engineer should have knocked on door to let you know and check line , oh I’m sorry sir you shouldn’t have got email to say you have to be in for engineer to call 

absolute moby’s the whole firm !