bench pillar drill

243deer

I was very lucky but in a way unlucky. I was at an auction of an engineer who had died and his whole collection of machinery and tools was to be auctioned.  I spotted a nice pillar drill and made a bid and on the deal which included the stand and a lot of drills and stuff. The unlucky bit was there was a cabinet  which was auctioned three lots beforehand which contained six different chucks for it and I didn't realise.  20yrs and kicking myself since.  Short story, buy the very best you can afford. A good pillar drill is worth it's wight in gold.  Mine is a British made job and as you can see it was over 20 years since I purchased it.  I even spin finish my cartridges on it

I have a record power bench mounted pillar drill. I use it for drilling metal and wood and it has had no trouble with either. I use 20mm drill bits with small shafts on mild steel and with some spray and patience it is more than capable. I was gifted the drill by a friend so unsure of the price I'll check the model tomorrow And put it on here.

On 21/12/2020 at 12:25, 243deer said:

so folks, where is the value please?

will be mainly used for mortices/woodworking but now and again I will need to drill steel. I no longer trust product reviews as folk get paid for creating them.

thanks for your help

Wait, are you going to use one of those morticing attachments with a square chisel? Never used one, but by all accounts they are...flawed.  Let us know how you get on.

I was given a Sealey benchtop model.  Avoid.

When I was at work I had an old MEDDINGS pillar drill in my workshop. Lovely bit of kit. You had to look closely to see if it was running. Almost silent and true. I used it most days for near 15 years. Tried to buy it when the factory closed but a higher authority beat me to it. I now have a Clarke which rattles and bangs but does the job.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a machine mart job about two years ago and i have absolutely thrashed it! Its probably drilled the steel for about 200 knives in total as well as wood working projects etc. 

I found the standard of the drill is largely irrelevant if you use decent drill bits. Abracs sent me a set of their cobalt bits which are amazing, I regularly drill through hardened steel with no issues, not bad for a £100 drill! I do need to regularly realign the table but that's because i use it for things it probably shouldn't be used for. 

the belts still going strong and the speeds are easily changeable. In all honestly I cant fault it at all. I know old drills were built to last a lifetime but if you don't want an initial outlay as large I would definitely consider a cheaper one with decent bits. 

I have a Screw fix one Titan brand, it does the job but the chuck was a pile of **** had to replace it as it didn't tighten properly no matter how hard you tightened it. Hell of a job getting it off though.

Its ok now but like Dave above you have to keep your eye on the table as it moves over time. Also the knobs on the 3 pull bars are small, replaced them with golf balls, much more comfortable and controllable now.

Edited by fatchap