Shotgun Licences - too readily available?

Balotelli

For some time I have wondered whether Shotgun Licences are too easily granted.  The whole process could be initiated by a theory test focussing on public safety and the law concerning shotgun ownership etc. Coupled with this, a background check, a rigorous interview in assessing the applicant's mental state and aptitude. Should these stages be successfully navigated the applicant should be granted a provisional shotgun licence.  Before a full licence is granted, the applicant would be required to complete a log comprising a number of supervised outings, demonstrating competency.  

Parts of the above process are not unlike acquiring a BSAC qualification and/or obtaining a driving licence.  An organisation such as BASC in conjunction with the Police authority could organise much of this. Yes, it would come at a price but it would weed out those not fit to be in possession of a shotgun.

I feel that whatever system is in place there is always a possibility that someone will slip through the net.

On the whole our system seems to work pretty well with only a small percentage of firearms crimes attributed to legally held firearms.

If we are going down the tighter restrictions route then motor vehicles should be more of a priority as the deaths/injuries from these far outweigh those from legally held firearms.

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

Balotelli 

Do you know anyone personally who is not fit to hold a shotgun license?

I’m sure everyone has been on shoots or seen at clay grounds people who clearly have no muzzle discipline and are dangerous - I would be fully supportive of a greater focus on safety. FEOs ask the odd question but if as much focus was placed on safe gun handling as it is on gun security then I think that would be a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

I’m sure everyone has been on shoots or seen at clay grounds people who clearly have no muzzle discipline and are dangerous - I would be fully supportive of a greater focus on safety. FEOs ask the odd question but if as much focus was placed on safe gun handling as it is on gun security then I think that would be a good thing. 

Whilst I cannot disagree with the sentiment I just question the proportionality of it. The current system works pretty well with very few issues given the number of owners and firearms in circulation. The FAC process is a little more strict but to no obvious safety benefit. 

29 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

For some time I have wondered whether Shotgun Licences are too easily granted.  The whole process could be initiated by a theory test focussing on public safety and the law concerning shotgun ownership etc. Coupled with this, a background check, a rigorous interview in assessing the applicant's mental state and aptitude. Should these stages be successfully navigated the applicant should be granted a provisional shotgun licence.  Before a full licence is granted, the applicant would be required to complete a log comprising a number of supervised outings, demonstrating competency.  

Parts of the above process are not unlike acquiring a BSAC qualification and/or obtaining a driving licence.  An organisation such as BASC in conjunction with the Police authority could organise much of this. Yes, it would come at a price but it would weed out those not fit to be in possession of a shotgun.

No. 

Just now, Ttfjlc said:

@Balotelli the remedies you suggest would come at a great cost indeed and a lot of patience would have to be demonstrated by the applicants, I've heard on the grapevine best way to demonstrate this patience is to go searching for pigeons :good:

Do you mean binoculars and reconnaissance?

I have guided some rifles who have actually complete DSC2 and would not allow them free range on my ground EVER. The same goes for shotguns.  I have met a few over the years who have had a shotgun Cert as well as FAC but only a few in the last 60yrs. I believe the present system works well.  If it ain't broke then don't mend it.