Cant help myself

strimmer_13

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Just putting the nv screen on. I quite like a bit of weight, tho I can't see the point in other gubbins as I'm not a target shooter. 

1 thing I'd say is this gun would be a ideal candidate for open sights and a skeleton stock. Might see what stocks pop up on the bay and have a play next year

Someone said that about the P15, that its almost to light so doesn't stay on target drifts high.

But I'm sure you'll manage fine with the NV on, small and pointable. 

On 22/12/2020 at 20:34, Ultrastu said:

So you should get around 50 - 60 shots from 225 - to about 115 bar .

If your ratting you may find that the 16 grn jumbos pass right through a rat .

I love .22 hobbys in ultras .they shoot well out to around 25 /30 yds and give a nice splat on old Roland. Cheap and effective .

of those pellets in your picture for rats id use either the hades or the superdomes 

Hello, is that the average shot count, why down to 115 ? Why not say 80 bar and get more shots, can you get a longer air tube ?, Have seen one at a good price 

The .22 being a bit more efficient  than the .177 version allows just  over a 100 bars worth of useable pressure range .so 225 - 115  is 110 bars of usable pressure  the .177 tends to use just a bit less than 100 bar so around 95 bar .probably from 220 - 125 bar .

Every gun is slightly different .this is due to the differences in hammer weight ,hammer spring tension .valve spring tension.  Air flow etc etc. 

Obviously  the above is based on a sub 12 gun producing around 0.75 fpe toatal variation over the entire fill .which will show very little vertical poi shift through the charge out to maximum  range . 40 yds for .22 and 50 for .177 

If your happy to shoot much closer say max 25 yds then by all means fill to a higher pressure and shoot to a lower one for an increase in shot count this may give a total variation  of around 1.75 - 2 fpe (say 240 bar down to 90 bar ) for a 150 bars of useabke pressure .BUT  you WILL see a huge vertical poi shift beyond 25 yds .

So if ratting close range you can do this to increase shot count .

I can promise you most times I go out you never really use more than 10 shots maybe 20 at a push. The fx is great as it's well over 100 shots per fill, but that's only handy as I cba filling it every time I go out. This I'll just have to and count the mags I use. Use 4, check the fill. 

So far I'm really happy with it, didnt think I'd get on with a mini rifle, nearly everything I've bought pcp wise has been massive which I've got used to (pcr1, falcon, fx). Shoved a bipod on now she's 100% ready to start earning it's keep which I have no doubt that it will do

IMG-20201224-WA0043.jpeg

Just now, strimmer_13 said:

I can promise you most times I go out you never really use more than 10 shots maybe 20 at a push. The fx is great as it's well over 100 shots per fill, but that's only handy as I cba filling it every time I go out. This I'll just have to and count the mags I use. Use 4, check the fill. 

So far I'm really happy with it, didnt think I'd get on with a mini rifle, nearly everything I've bought pcp wise has been massive which I've got used to (pcr1, falcon, fx). Shoved a bipod on now she's 100% ready to start earning it's keep which I have no doubt that it will do

IMG-20201224-WA0043.jpeg

IMG_20201224_164529.jpg

Obviously I did look at getting a longer tube on it and shrouding the barrel. Problem is with a longer cylinder I'll be hitting the silencer with the fill port unless I buy a longer barrel (or shroud). From what I can make out a extra length cylinder will be £120ish, and the barrel I can't even source. Shroud kit is roughly £100, with not as much reduction as I like. 

I have a silencer on the fx which is stupidly effective, the one on the ultra now in the photos is alright but I'll try and find what make the other silencer is and source another. I'll upload a photo in a bit for anybody who wants to play guess the silencer for me 😂

Hello, looking good so far, I had a R10 in 22 for about 5 years and shot 100s of rats, what was the FN ?

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

The .22 being a bit more efficient  than the .177 version allows just  over a 100 bars worth of useable pressure range .so 225 - 115  is 110 bars of usable pressure  the .177 tends to use just a bit less than 100 bar so around 95 bar .probably from 220 - 125 bar .

Every gun is slightly different .this is due to the differences in hammer weight ,hammer spring tension .valve spring tension.  Air flow etc etc. 

Obviously  the above is based on a sub 12 gun producing around 0.75 fpe toatal variation over the entire fill .which will show very little vertical poi shift through the charge out to maximum  range . 40 yds for .22 and 50 for .177 

If your happy to shoot much closer say max 25 yds then by all means fill to a higher pressure and shoot to a lower one for an increase in shot count this may give a total variation  of around 1.75 - 2 fpe (say 240 bar down to 90 bar ) for a 150 bars of useabke pressure .BUT  you WILL see a huge vertical poi shift beyond 25 yds .

So if ratting close range you can do this to increase shot count .

Hello, at present only have 20/30 shots each night with my FX so that should be ok if I get the one I see advertised at a good price, or will go back looking for a PR 900 W 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, looking good so far, I had a R10 in 22 for about 5 years and shot 100s of rats, what was the FN ?

My first fn years ago was 22 and I think I had 60 shots out of it. 

This is 177 and I've never got near to emptying it because I can never be ***** to plink with a single shot anymore. 

In hindsight I might in the future get the plastic stock, a scorpion barrel and shroud it with a reg and cylinder the same size. Not right now tho, was supposed to be waiting for my fac variation to get a fx but ive just blown about half that budget 😂

Here's that silencer if anybody knows what it is 

IMG_20201225_165906.jpg

IMG_20201225_165901.jpg

No markings on it anywhere. Was on the fx when I bought it and looks period for that gun so guessing it's a logan as that was the style hw nicked? 

I use my .22 ultra se for ratting around the farm. Has a photon sat on top and spits out Bisley lrg's very accurately.  The mags on mine need a service as its now not loading smoothly, must get around to having a look but I've been having fun using the 97k and red torch. The ultra just seems to fit everyone that's tried it, cracking little gun. I refill mine after each session and it holds air every time.

Found it to be very unfussy pellet wise but of accupells, lrg's, rws and aadf the lrg's just took it.

I got a Parker hale .22lr mod for mine with the intention of fitting a longer air tube, might get around to it one day.

On 25/12/2020 at 21:37, strimmer_13 said:

See I thought the hw ones had logos as such on them? Does yours? Or are we both running hw cans? 

Just managed to get a look at my silencer. No logos on it at all. 

Very, very quiet. The Logun only clicks when I have that on

On 25/12/2020 at 14:31, strimmer_13 said:

Obviously I did look at getting a longer tube on it and shrouding the barrel. Problem is with a longer cylinder I'll be hitting the silencer with the fill port unless I buy a longer barrel (or shroud). From what I can make out a extra length cylinder will be £120ish, and the barrel I can't even source. Shroud kit is roughly £100, with not as much reduction as I like. 

I have a silencer on the fx which is stupidly effective, the one on the ultra now in the photos is alright but I'll try and find what make the other silencer is and source another. I'll upload a photo in a bit for anybody who wants to play guess the silencer for me 😂

Hi , a longer cylinder (ie scorpion cylinder), WILL go under a Weirauch silencer( 2mm gap) . But if you do that , you may as well have the Scorpion. Same stock same action , slightly longer barrel. Same superb accuracy. I have one , with an even longer Airtech cylinder .

Come to think of it just buy a Scorpion se , and its already done for you by BSA, and you get to keep your warranty.

Edited by Longbower

Tbh the only thing I'll actually probably do is shroud it. Just zeroing it yesterday I had roughly 50 shots. That's enough. Now to get it more compact, I'd chose to lose the silencer and put a half decent shroud on it. 

Yesterday I tried all my pellets and had surprising results. I'll list the best to worst. 

Best. Jsb Hades 15.89gr

2nd crossman premier 14.3gr

3rd rws superdome 14.5gr

Now were opening up a fair bit (over 3/4'' at 25mtr)

4th air arms diabolo field 5.51 16gr

5th jsb exact jumbo rs 5.52 13.43gr

6th jsb exact jumbo 5.52 15.89gr

And easily the worst and never found a gun these fly alright in, even tho they look to be the cleanest and most uniform pellets on test. Very short tho, every one need a probe to seat into the mag. 

7th kaiser rangemaster 5.53 14.6gr

All bench rested of a folding table in reasonably good conditions using a bipod and hawke vantage 4-12x40. 5 shot groups. Next I'll get to the range and take my sand bags, but I'm very confident I could head shoot a rat at that range with the hades. Trigger is pretty good straight out the box. 

Its surprised me with the hades, every other gun they have been junk in, not sure I believe all the guff of the head expansion under 12ftlb but they seem to be going where I want them and that's 90% of the job you need to do. 

More testing in the next few days. 

Edited by strimmer_13

Your right at sub 12 there is no way on God's green earth a 16 grn pellet head of a hades is gonna expand in a rat  .But  that doesn't mean it penetrates as much as a round headed pellet .it will certainly stop faster and give up more energy (similar to a flat headed pellet .) If that's what you have and they shoot well then thats what I'd use .when your next at the ref pick up a tin of hobbys you may be surprised. And they are cheap and will hit harder than the hades out to 20 yds .