Price of razors .

samboy

Hi gang.

Since i started wet shaving again i thought i'd treat myself to a new razor. I fancied the Outlaw razor which i have

seen on youtube. Until i saw the price of it. £98. So can anyone recommend a safety razor at a reasonable price.

Thanks all.

The Edwin jagger range of razors is fantastic.The quality is top class.Yes the initial purchase of the razor is not cheap.The real saving is on the blades.With fantastic help from the guys on here I settled on Astra blades in the green packet.bought a full sleeve for the cost of 3 packs of disposable blades and not 1/10 through them yet..Also the shave is far superior.It is a pleasure to shave now,not a chore.

Edited by wisdom
Adding text.

29 minutes ago, wisdom said:

The Edwin jagger range of razors is fantastic.The quality is top class.Yes the initial purchase of the razor is not cheap.The real saving is on the blades.With fantastic help from the guys on here I settled on Astra blades in the green packet.bought a full sleeve for the cost of 3 packs of disposable blades and not 1/4 through them yet..Also the shave is far superior.It is a pleasure to shave now,not a chore.

Get some Taylor of old bond Street shaving cream and a brush to make the most of it. 

Edwin jagger are reasonable cost. Been using a barley twist handled one for years.

Feather blades in the barbours shop dispensing box from Thailand work out cheapest I've found.

Never bought or used a muti bladed razor for many years.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Previous discussion on here very similar.   Try Aldi ...usually around £4 and they manage to get the crud of my face no problem.  If you pay upwards of £25 then you must have money to burn.

Second that. Very effective and reasonably priced razors.

I use a Gillette sensor but a few times recently have tried to buy blades and Tesco has been out of them.Tesco do their own razor brand(The name I am not sure of). They are advertised as also fitting the Gillette and so far no problems and they have great life,do not need to change them too often.

56 minutes ago, kernel gadaffi said:

I won a Mastercard with £50 on it 5 years ago, I bought a Edwin Jagger DE89 razor with a bowl, brush, soap and an assortment of blades, as previously mentioned, for me the green packet Astra's are the best. Still have 3 unopened packets of blades and there's 3 left in another.

That’s the blades I use. 

Start with a Merkur HD Classic & Feather blades, they are by far the best blades. Use a badger brush and start off with Proraso soap or cream. Then when you’ve had plenty of practice look at getting an open comb razor like an Muhle R41 for a seriously good shave.

If you really want to it to the next level then look at trying a straight razor, it takes a while to learn but it’s very satisfying. The straight razor brand I’d recommend is Thiers Issard but do your homework, not all are suitable for beginners.

Edited by MartynGT4

i hate shaving as blunt cheapies in one shave red raw soar   shave twice a day  razer burn      i also hate a beard  and when it gets itchy or i can see the beard   an open razor  strop and good to go i can only do this in the shower scalding hot to soften  with badger brush soap  etc    mrs bought me a 240v electric many years ago    it died first time stuck on stubble hurt like hell      she took it apart to get off my  face never again       turkish barbers red hot flannels massage    cut throat razor  glowing taper  for other areas   fresh as a daisy  highly recommended    not expensive and worth every  penny            been using an open razor  for the last thirty years        shower  hot as hell to soften and raise  best shave  done properly takes a week for stubble   when mrs grabs beard and shakes my head  you need a trim   i sharpen up    ive been told      a decent open razor  is for life sometimes cheaper than all others    its the one i get best results for longer  and i hate shaving        

Open blade razors are good but you have to have time to use one. I have a Japanese stainless steel Miraki one that takes full length disposable blades.  Wife keeps trying to buy me a nice cut throat as a gift but I wouldn't get the full use out of it, nice as a treat once in a while to warm towel your face and take your time with a straight razor, getting your face BBS. I use Taylor's if old bond Street soaps and creams along with Trumpers and trufitt and hlll. They last ages so cost isn't an issue.

Edwin Jagger, feather or Astra blades, proraso sandlewood or Taylor's if special and day to day I use body shop maca root cream, proper bristle brush.

Direction of shave is important too, and is personal, I go with the direction of stubble then across day to day, and special events I go with and then against but your stubble needs to be well softened.