ALDI Special Buys

steve_b_wales

Sorry to be negative.ย  The trouble with most Aldi stuff like this is it won't even last until Easter.ย  Have been tempted a few times by Aldi special buys and it's mostly just tat that ends up in pieces.

Or if on the rare occasion it turns out good, you can't get another one because they only sold them for a month, never to be seen again!!

16 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Sorry to be negative.ย  The trouble with most Aldi stuff like this is it won't even last until Easter.ย  Have been tempted a few times by Aldi special buys and it's mostly just tat that ends up in pieces.

Or if on the rare occasion it turns out good, you can't get another one because they only sold them for a month, never to be seen again!!

I've had a few of their special buys, especially electrical items, and haven't had a problem. They also carry a 3 year warranty unlike some of the British rubbish which only has a year.

4 hours ago, moondoggy said:

7 feet, Whatย do you decoy, ostriches? ๐Ÿ˜‚

The advert states a 7ft tree folded. The actual measurements are in the advert.

I bought my binos and range finder from Aldiโ€™s years ago. Bresser make. Iโ€™m sure I paid about ยฃ40 for the range finder, about ยฃ140 now when I checked online. And I only paid about ยฃ25 for the binos. They ainโ€™t gonna set the world alight but fine for my needs. Do yeah, occasionally they do have some kit that will last and do the job well.

I've used a fishing bag from there for rough shooting, decoying, and clays that must be ten years old at least.ย  All zips etc OK so far.ย ย 

The TUV tested tools etc are great value. The long handled torx and hexย sets on my van have lasted four or five years without a scratch, and I've used the 2' SDS bits a few times too. Only duff buy was an axe.ย  The head is hard as diamond and has never taken a properย edge, and the shaft was brittle.ย  Only cost a quarter of my Cold Steel axe and I did use it for a few years before it blunted.ย  One day I'll put the blasted thing on a bench grinder very carefully.ย ย 

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've had a few of their special buys, especially electrical items, and haven't had a problem. They also carry a 3 year warranty unlike some of the British rubbish which only has a year.

The advert states a 7ft tree folded. The actual measurements are in the advert.

This.ย 119 x 25 x 43cm (approx.)

Aldi's electrical tools have been fine. Got two angle grinders - one is 12 years old and going strong - belt, finger, drum sanders, cordless drillย  -all faultless. Used to have some of their ratchet combination spanners - they appear to have two ranges. One is relatively crude, but usable. The other set was German made and better then Blue Point, which wasย about 10 times the price.

Also got T-handle torx and Allen drivers. Both are a couple of years old and compare well to the Mac and Beta versions I own.

13 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

I've used a fishing bag from there for rough shooting, decoying, and clays that must be ten years old at least.ย  All zips etc OK so far.ย ย 

ย 

II have one of them, been brilliant, wish I had bought two. Only problem from my point of view it that they are quite popular and on the ranges you have to make sure you go home with the right oneย 

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

II have one of them, been brilliant, wish I had bought two. Only problem from my point of view it that they are quite popular and on the ranges you have to make sure you go home with the right oneย 

Tryย some coloured electrician's tape wrapped around the sling or handle? Or a cheap key tagย from Timson's through one of the sling rings?

Like pigskin leather cartridge bags whilst gameshooting....it's why people had their initials put on them. So that others wouldn't "confuse" their (inferior) cowhide leather bagsย with yours! The word "confuse" being the excuse given by someone trying to steal it as in "Oh I'm sorry I confused it with mine...". Yeah right!

Edited by enfieldspares

• 2 weeks later...

The quality of Aldi stuff has gone down the pan on most items, the odd gem still.pops up now and again.

The lidl parkside tools seem better but still some cack among them. For general home use they're fine. The parkside corded Dremel type tool is good, so is the cut tool with quick change blades that can take a sanding attachment.ย  I tend to look and feel them, then buy any I need if they pass the touch test. Let the blue smoke out and back they go, but keep the receipt.

22 hours ago, figgy said:

The quality of Aldi stuff has gone down the pan on most items, the odd gem still.pops up now and again.

The lidl parkside tools seem better but still some cack among them. For general home use they're fine. The parkside corded Dremel type tool is good, so is the cut tool with quick change blades that can take a sanding attachment.ย  I tend to look and feel them, then buy any I need if they pass the touch test. Let the blue smoke out and back they go, but keep the receipt.

Parkside tools are re-branded Einhall tools. Designed in Germany let down by manufacture in China. I had a Parkside Arc Welder. Was a pretty good bit of kit if I'm honest. They also do a multi welder now Tig Mig and Arc, got pretty good reviews.

Edited by fatchap