223 Barrel twist/ bullet weights

maverick123

New to FAC and have a slot granted for a 223 which I intend to use for Fox (mainly) and Muntjac.

I have the Tikka in 17HMR so for simplicity was going to go Tikka again but unsure on twist rate to select- I understand that a faster twist is needed for heavier bullets to stabilise them over greater distances? Looking at 223 ammunition in stock locally to me and recommendations I've seen for Fox control, I imagine 45-55gr will be mainly what I use -so this suggests 1:8 would work fine? I am not looking to reload.

As I say I am new to this and welcome any advice. 

1:8 isnt the most common twist, 1:9 and 1:12 are the usual.
55gn is the usual limit for 1:12 , 69gn for 1:9 
Basically the higher the bullet weight , the higher the BC, making it accurate further out, but....

Typical fox ranges are rarely over 300yds (muntjac closer still) and usually much much closer, well within the capabilities of sub 55s.

My personal choice is 53gn Vmax out my 1:12 , very accurate up to 300 yards , and puts foxes , and other things down convincingly.

You’re right that a faster twist stabiles a long bullet (normally heavier) however the twist rate can be too fast for lighter bullets. 

Most munti are shot close range under 100 yards and foxes sub 250 the 50/55s will do a good job with a good bullet, a 1:12 would work well with these bullets and the ammo would be easy to find.