Barrel ring on closing a shotgun

Lucasnorth

Hi All.

im currently selling a miroku 3800. It’s been in the family since new in 1990. My dad bought it to me and iv had it the last 15 years, he never really used it for some reason and as it’s 3/4 and full nor have I, so decided to sell it, a bloke enquired about it asking if I could send a video of me opening and closing it to hear if the was a ring/ bell sound when it shut, I had no idea as to why the question as it’s not something iv ever heard about before, so sent him the video and the gun rang like a charm, he said that’s a good thing as when there old and well used, or tightened up they no longer do this, is this all true or is it just a strange belief. 
like another bloke who wanted it until he asked what it was bored at and when I said 18.5 he said it wasn’t backbored so was no use to him, I wouldn’t mind but I’d never even said it was, so apparently any gun that is not backbored to him is no good,, 

thanks,

lucas. 

8 minutes ago, Lucasnorth said:

Hi All.

im currently selling a miroku 3800. It’s been in the family since new in 1990. My dad bought it to me and iv had it the last 15 years, he never really used it for some reason and as it’s 3/4 and full nor have I, so decided to sell it, a bloke enquired about it asking if I could send a video of me opening and closing it to hear if the was a ring/ bell sound when it shut, I had no idea as to why the question as it’s not something iv ever heard about before, so sent him the video and the gun rang like a charm, he said that’s a good thing as when there old and well used, or tightened up they no longer do this, is this all true or is it just a strange belief. 

like another bloke who wanted it until he asked what it was bored at and when I said 18.5 he said it wasn’t backbored so was no use to him, I wouldn’t mind but I’d never even said it was, so apparently any gun that is not backbored to him is no good,, 

Yes old Browning's and Miroku's ring when they are snapped shut.

Would love to know what the chap wanted a barrel in excess of 18.5mm for?

Barrel ring is a known way to check if ribs and twin barrels are sound together. You take the barrels off the receiver, hold them with two fingers in the chambers and tap the front end with something solid like a screwdriver handle. A clear sound indicates that all is well. A dull noise tells you that something has come loose somewhere. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I did ask. All I got back was it needed to be backbored. Something else I think is a load of old bull, like 8th chokes😂

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

Because he doesn’t know what he is talking about!

Exactly, some fool has filled his head with rubbish or he’s read it somewhere and now the law🙈

Strange thing is I have another old miroku from 1983-5 and that’s in even better condition, looks as new as the day it was made and that shuts up with a chunky tight clunk which I thought to be a new gun kind of shut, thrown me all out of whack now😂😂 anyway. Who cares👍

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Yes I reckon you are correct!:good:

11 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

I did ask. All I got back was it needed to be backbored. Something else I think is a load of old bull, like 8th chokes😂

Exactly, some fool has filled his head with rubbish or he’s read it somewhere and now the law🙈

Strange thing is I have another old miroku from 1983-5 and that’s in even better condition, looks as new as the day it was made and that shuts up with a chunky tight clunk which I thought to be a new gun kind of shut, thrown me all out of whack now😂😂 anyway. Who cares👍

Well quite obviously a back bored gun will guarantee good kills!:cool1:

11 hours ago, reindeer said:

Barrel ring is a known way to check if ribs and twin barrels are sound together.

This is quite right.  Loose ribs etc. are expensive to put right - and also generally require re-bluing.

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Also right!

6 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

i`ve got a merkel thats 18.6.

i cant remember any choice in buying smaller 12. choked merkel 1/1 and 1/2, but in reality its xxfull / full. 

Interesting.  I have 3 x Merkels, being between 18.4 and 18.5 (.726 and .729) nine inches forward of the breech.

One has minor choke (.003 - 'open' IC) and .010 about 1/4 choke. 

The other two have after market chokes (not installed by me).  I have not actually patterned any of them.

Guest cookoff013
25 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting.  I have 3 x Merkels, being between 18.4 and 18.5 (.726 and .729) nine inches forward of the breech.

One has minor choke (.003 - 'open' IC) and .010 about 1/4 choke. 

The other two have after market chokes (not installed by me).  I have not actually patterned any of them.

I got the best patterns out of mine. Infact the best patterns i have ever seen.

Never heard of this barrel ring, off to try mine now🤣🤣

I never understand this fixed choke thing, if you're not happy have them bored out, job done.

Reminds of a guy who came to "buy" a land rover I'd built from chassis up. Told me it couldn't possibly be a galvanised chassis as it wasn't grey enough. My size 10 large showed him the road home.

15 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

All I got back was it needed to be backbored. Something else I think is a load of old bull, like 8th chokes😂

There is no scientific valid reason for back boring, What it really does is increasing volume inside the bore. Result of that is less pressure generated by equal powder charge and therefor less speed of the shotcharge. It is only logic that felt recoil is decreased, so is impact on target or game. 
I think there is a cosmetic reason here; early multichoke guns like Browning 325 and Miroku 7000 with nominal bores show a clearly visible trumpet like barrel end, to create space for the multichokes. not a very harmonious sight, compared to fixed choked barrels.
By slightly increasing outer and inner diametre of the bores, the barrels look straighter at the business end and the gun suddenly 'benefits' from 'backboring advantages." 

Just now, reindeer said:

There is no scientific valid reason for back boring, What it really does is increasing volume inside the bore. Result of that is less pressure generated by equal powder charge and therefor less speed of the shotcharge. It is only logic that felt recoil is decreased, so is impact on target or game. 
I think there is a cosmetic reason here; early multichoke guns like Browning 325 and Miroku 7000 with nominal bores show a clearly visible trumpet like barrel end, to create space for the multichokes. not a very harmonious sight, compared to fixed choked barrels.
By slightly increasing outer and inner diametre of the bores, the barrels look straighter at the business end and the gun suddenly 'benefits' from 'backboring advantages." 

Krieghoff's always have that awful bulge too.

2 hours ago, reindeer said:

I’m not sure that’s true.

Most of the acceleration with modern powders comes from the initial burst based in the chamber, and with plastic wads the skirt keeps everything going.

It’s well documented about the very overbored Mossberg 835 and 935 barrels (almost 10bore), and the extra speed generated from steel loads in plastic wads due to reduced friction down the barrel.

With fibre, I agree with you .... but with plastic there may be more to it.

Dont know about back boring but I thought everyone knew that overbored barrels shot better patterns with less recoil as on my Browning. Must be correct cos I read it in a Browning brochure. As for ringing barrels  whatever you do dont use WD40 on them as it melts the solder! I read that too! Happy Christmas everyone.

3 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Dont know about back boring but I thought everyone knew that overbored barrels shot better patterns with less recoil as on my Browning. Must be correct cos I read it in a Browning brochure. As for ringing barrels  whatever you do dont use WD40 on them as it melts the solder! I read that too! Happy Christmas everyone.

Oh dear!:w00t:

5 minutes ago, fallowbuck said:

Apparently backbored  guns like Brownings do not pattern well with fibre wads.This being because they are more open so gas  escapes around the wad disrupting the pattern.

Hate to disagree but I’ve got two back bored brownings and they throw great patterns with fibre wad and kill extremely well 

ive also got nominal bored one’s that I’ve compared patterns with 

whowever I’m sure someone who hasn’t got one will disagree 🙄😂😂

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Hate to disagree but I’ve got two back bored brownings and they throw great patterns with fibre wad and kill extremely well 

ive also got nominal bored one’s that I’ve compared patterns with 

whowever I’m sure someone who hasn’t got one will disagree 🙄😂😂

:w00t::lol::cool1: