Christmas Present.

fatchap

I got a LaserPecker pro for Christmas and it took most of Yesterday to get my head round the app that you need to operate it and setting the thing up. Its a laser engraver if anyone dosn't know what a LaserPecker is. Ideal for my knife work, wood leather sheaths etc.

It connects via a lead directly to your phone or PC. I have it on the PC indoors as it says on the instructions to keep it clear of dust. When I get a bigger shed with a clean area. I will have it in there, something that I have discovered about this tool I may need to do anyway.

I'm not sure if its supposed to do this, nothing mentioned in the book that comes with it or that I have found on line. So not sure if mine is faulty. But when its operating and cutting it would appear to be emitting a high pitched noise that my dog can only hear. He goes mental, barking at it and growling. Nothing will shut him up. Even locking him outside he seems to still be able to hear it. Thats the only reason I can come up with why he reacts that way to it. unless there is something else about it he dosn't like. I obviusly can't hear anything it seems silent to me. As soon as you turn it off he stops barking, a bit of a whine and carries on as normal. Switch it back on and he's off again.

Its a great bit of kit, apart from it won't engrave anything that is blue or white or clear. Can understand the white or clear but blue seems a bit odd.

Any physics experts on here tell me if lasers do make a high pitch noise that only dogs can hear or is my unit faulty?

Edited by fatchap

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Wow or should I say BOW WOW !!!    That sounds like a smart bit of kit. I look forward to seeing some results.

Ignoring the terrible dog pun, If I can get it to work properly and I'm almost there it does seem a capable bit of kit. Its Bluetooth as well so you can load your image into it. Then your free to use your phone for something else. It remembers and carries on cutting. However on the downside its quite slow and the slightest knock or bump stops it from working. But it then does a scan and carries on where it left off even if the work piece is no longer in the same position. Its quite clever. 

Just a shame it has such an adverse effect on the furry one.

I'm trying to find a sound recording app for my phone, If the laser cutter is making a noise then its above 20,000Hz. Beyond human hearing but not enough to annoy a dog. Just been reading up anything around or over 27,000Hz will cause a dog discomfort and achieve the reaction this machine is causing.

5 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Could be it's got a blue laser therefore it  doesn't like anything blue 

The experts on laser engraving sites say the same blue diode laser will not cut anything blue white or clear so just spray what you want to engrave black or red.

Seems reasonable.