4x4 - What the hell do I buy?

army646

Dear all

Time to raise that old chestnut again!
I am going to need a new shooting/fishing vehicle pretty soon as my old Pajero probably has another year in it and then it needs to go. The Tin Worms have attacked, so weld it up this year and start looking.

I don’t need anything too hard core as I don’t do as much winter shooting as I used to, just an odd bit of ‘crowing’ hear and there. So here is the wish list:

1. Under £4K

2. Goodish reliability

3. Semi rot resistant

4. Reasonable ground clearance and off road capabilities

5. Oh and enough room for my gear and a bag or two of birds!

What the hell do I buy without ending up with a shed load of bother. Oh and by the way I bought my current Pajero 13 years ago with the intention of keeping it a couple of years! On the whole it has been an excellent old bus.

Come on then folks what do we think?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing motors those Pajeros. I saw one on a shoot only last week and it looked like new.  Within your price range it is not easy because your ging to come up against wear and tear anyway.  I don't know just how bad the rot is on your present motor or how good the engine/drive train is but you can get a fair bit of wleding refrabrication for four grand and still have a motor you know will do the job.   Had my old Landie now for over ten years and yes, I have done a lot to it but still cost well under going out and buying a newer model and it is the vehicle I know and does the job.

Basically it is choices choices, plenty out there to choose from.

There are so many to choose from these days the mind truly boggles. Each comes with its own set of problems.

My advice would be buy a Range Rover Vogue. Good pedigree, get you absolutely anywhere and back. Plenty of low mileage, one owner, full service history's about. For your money maybe 20 years old, but they're out there especially in petrol. That of course depends of your mileage. Of course they have problems, all cars do but once on top of it. Total comfort.

If I had my time again I would have a Land Rover 110 CSW or similar variant.

Both the engine and drive train on my Pajero are bob on. This plus a lengthy discussion with real outcome on what to replace it with lead to the decision to weld it up. I reckon about £500 for what it needs - inner sills, **** end of one of the chassis rails, arches both sides. I paid £1400 for it when I bought it all those years ago and as I said earlier I only intended to keep it a couple sod years.

Was going to to look at a ‘06 Freelander Td4 but having worked for a Landry dealer for a while, being fully aware of how good and bad they can be I decided against it.

A pre ‘Jelly Mould’ stylee CR V was considered. I know how bomb proof Hondas are mechanically, I could probably make do with the off road capabilities, but got warned off them by a mechanic friend again due to rot issues.

I also considered a Jimny. To be honest I think it would be tight on space, but could manage. I am aware how good they are off road, but Jesus they fairly hold their brass and again rot behind headlights can be an issue on older ones.

Would not rule out a Vitara for a bit more space, but again I am aware that rot is the enemy.

Rav 4? Whats your thoughts? I know reliability is not a question, it’s a Toyota.

Even considered a Daihatsu Terrios

Volvo XC 90 again what do we reckon?

Once again the main of what I do now is spring and summer shooting, so it only needs to cope with lanes, pasture and stubbles. However it can get a bit snotty post harvest where I am based as it is predominantly clay soil.

I really can’t make my mind up and really don’t want to ‘jump from the frying pan to the fire’

20 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

See you right into the garage-again🤦‍♂️

I think your absolutely right if it is the new Defender or any of the elctronic wizardry thingies built in the last 30yrs, buy a pre 1990 Landy, stick a galv chassis on it and it will see you out. Mine is now over 30yrs old and to date including servicing has not cost me much more than £10000 total including the purchase price, two grand for a galv chassis and a grand for LPG conversion.  I will confidently drive it anywhere any mileage.

Farmer friend has an xc90 and it goes everywhere in the farm without issue. He's just brought a new one as he likes them so much. Neither he or any other farmer i know has a land rover for anything other than tesco shopping or trips out with the family. They mostly have Toyota or Nissan 4x4 pickups. 

Neighbours had a rav 4 and never got stuck anywhere either. Even in 19 inches of snow they only got stuck  once when it ground out and they had to dig a bit out from under before continuing. 

Jdog has had 3 crv s and he goes all over the place at a rate of knots. My mum has had 2 and they are very very good. 

I had an old x trail and it never got stuck on any field/track i drove it on. My current koleos (xtrail in a fluffy Renault body) hasn't got stuck either and does 45mpg daily. 

There really is lots to chose from. That said if yours isint much to fix and there's nothing else wrong then why not keep it a bit longer if its viable. 

I’m in the same boat as you, currently have a shotgun sport and what to change it to when the time comes?

I have considered:-

X Trail 

Freelander 2

XC90

Have also considered a pick up with rear bed canopy 

Navara being my favourite.

They all have their own known issues, you can find lower mileage examples without service history or higher mileage with service history. The unicorn is the one that’s inbetween! I can’t be of much more help because i can’t decide myself, in fact the shogun will probably be dead in the drive before i change. For me its the ideal vehicle for my usage!

Edited by Rossco89

It seems to me reading the replies, some have 4x4s others have AWD, there being a huge difference between them. 

In very rough terms: A proper 4x4 has a low ratio gearbox, a higher ground clearance and the ability to go off road or off tracks. AWD (all wheel drive) is a completely different vehicle and generally shouldn't be used off defined tracks. These normally but not always have a lower ground clearance and more car like performance. 

A example is the X trail and Navara, both out of the same stable both hugely different vehicles in terms of "off road capabilities" and performance. 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

It seems to me reading the replies, some have 4x4s others have AWD, there being a huge difference between them. 

In very rough terms: A proper 4x4 has a low ratio gearbox, a higher ground clearance and the ability to go off road or off tracks. AWD (all wheel drive) is a completely different vehicle and generally shouldn't be used off defined tracks. These normally but not always have a lower ground clearance and more car like performance. 

A example is the X trail and Navara, both out of the same stable both hugely different vehicles in terms of "off road capabilities" and performance. 

How do you rate the X-trails? 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

As someone else said, soft roaders, ok on grass or on gentle tracks. Once you come to ruts,loose gravel,rocks,mud a complete waste of time. You'd be looking at getting stuck or expensive damage or both. Nothing against them but they're not meant to be taken off road. Like most soft roaders and AWD vehicles its more occasional grass and maybe the day it snows. You stand more chance of getting home than most conventional 2wd vehicles.

16 hours ago, scolopax said:

Subaru Forester

I second (third) this suggestion. The earlier models can be had for little money and its likely you could find one with low miles. Turbos are great fun but the standard 2 litre petrol is very good. Easy to get bits if you need them but they are fairly bomb-proof. Look out for sagging rear suspension, its self-levelling so will need a replacement. I love the things, I had a turbo with a Pro-drive mod and it flew! Ultimate Q car. Sounded like Petter Solberg going through the Stang!

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My friend in South Africa had an X trail. He has had just about every truck going on his farm.The X trail was good for long distance road use and for the 12 mile off road track to the farm, but he would not ever take it further than that into the bush.

12 hours ago, Centrepin said:

As someone else said, soft roaders, ok on grass or on gentle tracks. Once you come to ruts,loose gravel,rocks,mud a complete waste of time. You'd be looking at getting stuck or expensive damage or both. Nothing against them but they're not meant to be taken off road. Like most soft roaders and AWD vehicles its more occasional grass and maybe the day it snows. You stand more chance of getting home than most conventional 2wd vehicles.

What they like for field margins, lamping, getting in place for pigeon shooting in the summer and getting to shoots and dodgy tracks in Winter? 

Not sure I need an out an out off road machine. 

I need something that’s good for on-road everyday use 99% of the time and then getting about on the shoot with the gundogs when needed! 👍🏻

as a Toyota Landcruiser owner (same car for 15 years) I know what you mean about needing  a 4x4 for 5% of the time a 4x4 is actually needed.

for my tuppence worth..

1.xtrail with semi off road tyres

2.forester. I've seen one go further on slippy/iclined mud than a D3, D4,Fourtrak and my LC (on road tyres)

for me xtrail would tick your boxes.

p.s my LC has performed the duties of a house moves, tip runs, 8xfull length doors with back door shut, dragged others out of mires etc and has never let me down from 25k to todays reading of 138k.

good luck with your choice.

f. 

Edited by Fuddster