4x4 - What the hell do I buy?

army646

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What they like for field margins, lamping, getting in place for pigeon shooting in the summer and getting to shoots and dodgy tracks in Winter? 

Not sure I need an out an out off road machine. 

I need something that’s good for on-road everyday use 99% of the time and then getting about on the shoot with the gundogs when needed! 👍🏻

As said on the other thread I’ve owned mine for 12 years and it’s used daily for commuting and as weekend shooting vehicle. Happily take it across fields when shooting but know its limitations. Great for stubbles, farm tracks, snow, etc. but no deep ruts, steep muddy inclines or any more serious off-roading. It just hasn’t got the ground clearance (the exhaust always looked vulnerable to me) but I haven’t got stuck yet. Switchable two/four wheel drive is handy and good sized boot for kit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I need something that’s good for on-road everyday use 99% of the time and then getting about on the shoot with the gundogs when needed

Sounds like an Xtrail would fit the bill. 

If you can put up with the road noise, get the heaviest nobbliest tyres, and it will go through very deep mud, as long as ground clearance allows, a sump bash plate is a good idea too. 

They are both {2.2 and 2.0 dci} very economical for this class of vehicle, with good size boots. 

In dryer seasons I put normal road tyres on, and the big sunroof is great for foxing out of. 

If I break mine, I'm definitely buying another. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What they like for field margins, lamping, getting in place for pigeon shooting in the summer and getting to shoots and dodgy tracks in Winter? 

Not sure I need an out an out off road machine. 

I need something that’s good for on-road everyday use 99% of the time and then getting about on the shoot with the gundogs when needed! 👍🏻

I think for the majority of the time and X trail would fit the bill. For winter use everything is debatable and nothing taken for granted. A decent set of off road tyres and carefully driven you should be 99% safe. Change back to summer tyres once the ground is suitable again. 

My XC70 is 99% perfect, but lacking mobility I need the assurance of the extra 1% when I'm on my own so I run a Range Rover with off road tyres and carry recovery kit.

Its also easier to have a dedicated shooting vehicle for me, I don't have to empty my decoying or recovery gear after every trip or clean inside before my wife gets in.

For those running AWD  or car derived 4x4s a good purchase are either grip mats, 38mm waffle boards or similar along with a tow sling rated to at least 10 tons and a couple of shackles. Oh and a shovel😆

9 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

As said on the other thread I’ve owned mine for 12 years and it’s used daily for commuting and as weekend shooting vehicle. Happily take it across fields when shooting but know its limitations. Great for stubbles, farm tracks, snow, etc. but no deep ruts, steep muddy inclines or any more serious off-roading. It just hasn’t got the ground clearance (the exhaust always looked vulnerable to me) but I haven’t got stuck yet. Switchable two/four wheel drive is handy and good sized boot for kit.

If you can weld its sooo easy to skid plate an exhaust for pennies with scrap metal and far cheaper than damaging one or replacement. 

I  had a SWB Pajero for years , but the dreaded tin worm eventually ate to deep.

I changed to a Honda CRV , ( 06) 2.2 Diesel, and its been superb . So reliable, No rust , good on fuel, and comfy .

I can slide the back seats forward ,and sit in the back with the rear window 'popped up', shooting in the dry and warm.

Will it play in the mud ? With the right tyres 'hell yeah' . See u tube .

Edited by Longbower

1 hour ago, Fenlandbob said:

Recently bought myself a rebuilt series 3 Land Rover with a galvanised chassis. Yes, I'd like more speed and comfort, but the deal clincher for me was to own a vehicle with no poxy electrickery all over it. And you can fix anything with a 1/2-9/16 ring spanner! Perfect....., 

I so much agree, and you can anywhere.

I miss my series motor so much. So basic, so easy to fix.

Well the Pajero has gone in this morning for chop out/investigate to see how far the rot has gone, with an agreement that if it’s too bad we call time and scrap it.

So we shall see. It may be the case that I have to buy something sooner rather than later.

I appreciate everyone’s input with regards what I could replace it with that would fit my current requirements.

Keep em coming. 😎👍

Well, I’ve had to call it. Just had word from the garage and as I thought the rot is really too extensive to bother repairing it. So to the scrappers she goes.

Not bad really, 12 years out of a vehicle that I paid £1400 for and intended to keep 2-3 years. Don’t get me wrong like all older vehicles there has been a cost to keeping her going, but really just bits an pieces here and there.

So now I have to make the decision. Full 4x4 or ‘soft roader’

1 hour ago, army646 said:

Well, I’ve had to call it. Just had word from the garage and as I thought the rot is really too extensive to bother repairing it. So to the scrappers she goes.

Not bad really, 12 years out of a vehicle that I paid £1400 for and intended to keep 2-3 years. Don’t get me wrong like all older vehicles there has been a cost to keeping her going, but really just bits an pieces here and there.

So now I have to make the decision. Full 4x4 or ‘soft roader’

Rip Pajero! 

8 hours ago, army646 said:

Fenlandbob if you don’t mind me asking, what did you give for your rebuilt Landy?

Sorry for the late reply. I actually wanted a series 2. Plenty of rotten examples out there. I found one (petrol) rebuilt on a galvanised chassis. Tidy, but at £15,000 I thought it a bit steep. I found the series 3 (diesel) in a similar state. The gentleman showed me receipts for £6,500. I paid £7,500 for it. I thought she was cheap at that. With overdrive, too. I like the look of a series 1, but my pockets aren't that deep...., 

Right Gents!

Here is a bit of a swerve ball with regards the replacement for my dead Misty Pajero. 

Thought I new where I was going, then after doing quite a lot of research by looking at how various vehicles have faired by looking at DVSA/VOSA MOT histories, I’ve changed my mind direction completely. 

Don’t laugh, but I was seriously considering a Suzuki Jimny! Why? Simple and capable off road. I know a bit small, but honestly do we really need all the gear we usually take? In my case I can honestly say no. In past times I have had to jiggle things about to accommodate the birds from a good days shooting!

So the real problem with the Suzi Jimnys is rot. You try and find a pre ‘05 with the manual transfer box that’s not had the living carp welded old of it in all the usual spots. For that matter anything pre ‘10 plate that is not in the same state. The MOT histories that I have viewed tell the tale!

So Jimny, no for this reason. I want to be shooting more than I am fixing vehicles.

Right here’s the swerve ball. What about an ‘06 Jeep Grand Cheroke with the 3.0 CRD V6 Merc sourced motor? I have seen one at £4K, 103,000 miles, full service history, 12mnths MOT but the main thing is that it has passed every previous test bar one which it failed for a ball joint? I had ruled the Jeep Cherokee out because the old 4.0ltr Chrysler engined ones were **** of the highest order. A Jeep was suggested by a mechanic that I know.

Come on, what do we think?

1 hour ago, army646 said:

Right Gents!

Here is a bit of a swerve ball with regards the replacement for my dead Misty Pajero. 

Thought I new where I was going, then after doing quite a lot of research by looking at how various vehicles have faired by looking at DVSA/VOSA MOT histories, I’ve changed my mind direction completely. 

Don’t laugh, but I was seriously considering a Suzuki Jimny! Why? Simple and capable off road. I know a bit small, but honestly do we really need all the gear we usually take? In my case I can honestly say no. In past times I have had to jiggle things about to accommodate the birds from a good days shooting!

So the real problem with the Suzi Jimnys is rot. You try and find a pre ‘05 with the manual transfer box that’s not had the living carp welded old of it in all the usual spots. For that matter anything pre ‘10 plate that is not in the same state. The MOT histories that I have viewed tell the tale!

So Jimny, no for this reason. I want to be shooting more than I am fixing vehicles.

Right here’s the swerve ball. What about an ‘06 Jeep Grand Cheroke with the 3.0 CRD V6 Merc sourced motor? I have seen one at £4K, 103,000 miles, full service history, 12mnths MOT but the main thing is that it has passed every previous test bar one which it failed for a ball joint? I had ruled the Jeep Cherokee out because the old 4.0ltr Chrysler engined ones were **** of the highest order. A Jeep was suggested by a mechanic that I know.

Come on, what do we think?

I like the fsh and the mot history, my last Landcruiser [ totaled by an out of control Discovery this time last year] had 20yrs of past MOT'S without advisories, my current 30yr old Pajero has a similar history but the auto gearbox is a bit intermittent..😉 ..Ive no experience of Jeeps but they have good reviews, older Merc engines likewise

I've been on the same job for months and it's not easy, but, Japan seems to be high on the list pal

My shortlist ( my order of preference keeps changing )

1. Shogun

2. Landcruiser

3. Forester

The problem I have is I just drive them and no nothing about cars, so rely on advice and read threads like this. . . . suppose it's like cart/choke choice at the end of the day as there is no definitive answer!

Edited by Shearwater

1 hour ago, Shearwater said:

I've been on the same job for months and it's not easy, but, Japan seems to be high on the list pal

My shortlist ( my order of preference keeps changing )

1. Shogun

2. Landcruiser

3. Forester

The problem I have is I just drive them and no nothing about cars, so rely on advice and read threads like this. . . . suppose it's like cart/choke choice at the end of the day as there is no definitive answer!

I think you're probably correct it comes down to personal presence in the end.

Or you could end up comparing insurance costs or repairs costs as a factor.

Some years ago I decided to have a change from Land Rover and bought a Nissan Patrol. Comfort wise comparable with Range Rover. Good off road manners and reliable. My only real dislike  was to disengage 4WD you had to reverse at least a metre. Then the alternator needed replacing, easy job, 15 mins at most. I had to order it, it took a month and cost £330.

A couple of months later I returned to Landies, Disco 1. Alternator needed replacing, easy job, 15 mins at most. I rang my local motor factors 1630 Saturday afternoon, he had one in stock. Drove down, fitted it in car park, £35.

You may need to tinker with Landies to keep them running,but at least parts are available and  cheap.  Whereas your Japanese motors maybe more reliable but parts are extortionate and maybe tend to rot out quicker.

It's all about balance, what you want compared with what you can do and ultimately afford.

I can no longer tinker, but still am hard pushed to reccomend anything but Land Rover/Range Rover as a proper 4x4 or Volvo as an AWD. 

However, my son currently runs and swears by a Navara, crew cab type. Oodles of room, warm, comfortable and quite capable.

Defender 90, a late 80's early 90's 200 or 300tdi. A hard top van, windows and roof lights leak .... as @Centrepinsays "You may need to tinker with Landies to keep them running,but at least parts are available and  cheap."

Unfortunately you will not get a reasonable one for your £4K budget

On 28/12/2020 at 09:50, mchughcb said:

Subaru forester is the pick of the bunch with 220mm ground clearance. If you need mud tyres, then get AT tires for winter. It will also be comfortable to drive and cheaper to run.

Which model has 220mm ground clearance pal?

Looks like spares availability and cost could be a problem with the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Really undecided. I am at the point where I am not going to rule out a pick up. A Ford Ranger would fit the budget (need to watch for rot) Can’t find any Toyota Hilux around £4K without rocket ship miles, a hard life or ‘galloping rot’

I am not going to rush this and to be fair with the amount of things to consider I don’t think I can.

Oh I forgot, how about a 2004 Ssangyong Rexton 2.7d. Once again a Merc engine, but again the spares situation could be the killer.

Anyone had one? I have seen a clean one with low miles, history and no mention of the dreaded rot on the MOT history

Edited by army646

£ 4.5K does not equate to any Land Rover model especially Defender, Series 11 or 111. I've had them all and are great fun if you like working on vehicles. You could not live with a Series 11 if any town driving is involved. They are slow very thirsty and a starting price for a decent MOT'd example would the wrong side of £10K. Series 111 slightly more drivable bur again heavy on fuel. Max speed 55 mph. Price for decent MOt'd example £7 k  Defenders good on and off road. Spare parts prices have gone through the roof especially genuine body parts. £6 k for a genuine Defender 90 hard top roof !!!!.

As said  above a Jap pick up would be my choice.