4x4 - What the hell do I buy?

army646

See below a before and after a Series 11A. Which I did a full nut and bolt rebuild including full respray and Galv chassis. Loads of other new parts 

Did the job in 2014/15 bought for about £3.5 K sold £10 K. Since 2016 the prices have gone ballistic. Today I recon the finished Series 11A would fetch £20k 

DSCN4510 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1164.JPG

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig1982 that’s a mint Landy.

I’d have one, but they are a labour of love and cannot be bothered anymore with the work load that would come with it. I like going fishing and shooting more than messing about with vehicles.

All credit to you though, bonny old lass that.

Thanks for the reply. Wish I still had it but as with life things move on. Having just turned 67 years old just don't have it me to do another one, Everybody says they are just big Marcano sets, which they are. Mechanically simple to work on. The big down side now is the availability of quality body panels. Aluminum, Steel and salt water certainly causes major corrosion in hidden area's  

58 minutes ago, old'un said:

Your my new best friend, I've been searching interweb for a list like to no avail, there are a few there very close to eachother but price/comfort/reliability makes a strong argument for an X-trail

Have a look at the Kia Sorento, the later ones of the first model are a bargain for what you get and spares are readily available. We had one for a few years and both me and the mrs loved it. 

Plenty to choose from on Autotrader including this one 2009 with 87k miles and FSH.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202005229476278?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=SORENTO&radius=1500&postcode=ip68fa&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&price-to=4500&make=KIA&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

older double cab pickup well looked after  mazda / ford / Toyota  any one can fix       **** in the back clean up front      got a mazda b2500 /ford ranger  1/4mil miles  one head gasket one radiator and brake pads etc 28mpg anywhere  i cant fault it right shoes go anywhere     had series 2a   /3 safari stage i v8 / r r classic soft dash 3.9 v8  loved it  all leather bells and whistles  fully loaded  it had to go getting destroyed          best move     mazda double cab   i have owned the longest and would buy another 

I know before you all say it's been said just before about freelancer td4 but is that the freelancer 2 because I had a freelancer the shape before the 2 which I thought was td4 and that was terrible ,But  people seem to like the 2 s better any thoughts or people run 1 of these? Because they are comming down in price now never know might be worth a look.Ive got to say Iike my seriesLand Rovers if you don't need speed or comfert you don't need loads of spanners and electrical gadgets .Like was said earlier 7\16 1\2 9\16 spanners ,keep them Inja pocket ,and yes I know what your going to say I need to ha ha ha

1 hour ago, Morkin said:

I know before you all say it's been said just before about freelancer td4 but is that the freelancer 2 because I had a freelancer the shape before the 2 which I thought was td4 and that was terrible ,But  people seem to like the 2 s better any thoughts or people run 1 of these? Because they are comming down in price now never know might be worth a look.Ive got to say Iike my seriesLand Rovers if you don't need speed or comfert you don't need loads of spanners and electrical gadgets .Like was said earlier 7\16 1\2 9\16 spanners ,keep them Inja pocket ,and yes I know what your going to say I need to ha ha ha

The Freelander 2 seems to be much improved and gets a high score on autotrader reviews

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I am still looking, 1500 cc 4x4 type, rear door that lifts up, dark color, good condition to last a few more years, around £5,000

Duster, all day long.

And that is from a die-hard Land Rover man.

Edited by London Best

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Duster, all day long.

And that is from a die-hard Land Rover man.

Hello, thanks, I have looked at those but all seem well past my £ limit, I have searched around the Vale and beyond, will keep looking, i only do about 3000 a year, M O T today 🙄 Dihatsu Terios 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/12/2020 at 14:31, army646 said:

Right Gents!

Here is a bit of a swerve ball with regards the replacement for my dead Misty Pajero. 

Thought I new where I was going, then after doing quite a lot of research by looking at how various vehicles have faired by looking at DVSA/VOSA MOT histories, I’ve changed my mind direction completely. 

Don’t laugh, but I was seriously considering a Suzuki Jimny! Why? Simple and capable off road. I know a bit small, but honestly do we really need all the gear we usually take? In my case I can honestly say no. In past times I have had to jiggle things about to accommodate the birds from a good days shooting!

So the real problem with the Suzi Jimnys is rot. You try and find a pre ‘05 with the manual transfer box that’s not had the living carp welded old of it in all the usual spots. For that matter anything pre ‘10 plate that is not in the same state. The MOT histories that I have viewed tell the tale!

So Jimny, no for this reason. I want to be shooting more than I am fixing vehicles.

Right here’s the swerve ball. What about an ‘06 Jeep Grand Cheroke with the 3.0 CRD V6 Merc sourced motor? I have seen one at £4K, 103,000 miles, full service history, 12mnths MOT but the main thing is that it has passed every previous test bar one which it failed for a ball joint? I had ruled the Jeep Cherokee out because the old 4.0ltr Chrysler engined ones were **** of the highest order. A Jeep was suggested by a mechanic that I know.

Come on, what do we think?

I now have a 57 plate Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L crd. It is more comfortable and less thirsty than the 3L surf that it replaced. The only thing I wish, is that the boot was bigger. Plenty of power, though!

It is also pretty good off road on the pirelli road tyres it currently sits on.

Edited by motty

I have to put in a good word for the jeeps. I've had three (two grand cherokees and an xj) and cannot fault them. None have ever got me stuck and the current xj is, although not as comfy/kitted out superb.

To be honest I'm more confident with the xj than the grand cherokees! The 4.0 litre engines are bulletproof tough and with regular oil changes last phenomenally well.

I have towed out land rovers, toyotas, nissans, volvos and a range rover. I used to do a lot of miles and found them great on a journey. I have found the spares readily available and cheap. Plenty of space and most importantly a tape deck! So glad I kept my cassettes!

the only thing the jeep needs is the right tyres and you are away.

Minimum fettling, maximum fun!

• 2 months later...

I started this post just after Christmas and jus thought I would let you know I have taken the plunge.

I have just bought a mk2 2006 Honda CR-V 2.0l i-vtec, one owner from new, full dealer history. I am going give it a good spray underneath and in the cavities with Lanoguard, put a set of cheap ‘Event’ all terrain tyres on it and see how it goes.

As I mentioned in my original post, most of my shooting now is on stubbles and pasture so I am hoping that it will cope.

Anyone had one and how did they get on with this ‘softroader’? Reliability and to be fair the fact that they ain’t too bad on the ‘rot’ stakes did it for me.

just sprayed my landcruiser underbelly with lanoguard-very impressed with it.the inner arches got some spray on black rust protection first then the oversprayed with lano.you'll have more than enough from the minimum order.

f.