4x4 - What the hell do I buy?

army646

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, army646 said:

I started this post just after Christmas and jus thought I would let you know I have taken the plunge.

I have just bought a mk2 2006 Honda CR-V 2.0l i-vtec, one owner from new, full dealer history. I am going give it a good spray underneath and in the cavities with Lanoguard, put a set of cheap ‘Event’ all terrain tyres on it and see how it goes.

As I mentioned in my original post, most of my shooting now is on stubbles and pasture so I am hoping that it will cope.

Anyone had one and how did they get on with this ‘softroader’? Reliability and to be fair the fact that they ain’t too bad on the ‘rot’ stakes did it for me.

I bought virtually the same bus *** you in auto, back in Jan and has done everything I've asked so far ( dunno if the 4wd has kicked in or not ) , I haven't sprayed underneath tho and the tyres it came with are good for the summer. A little heavy on juice @ 25mpg but a good truck

On 01/01/2021 at 13:24, Centrepin said:

Some years ago I decided to have a change from Land Rover and bought a Nissan Patrol. Comfort wise comparable with Range Rover. Good off road manners and reliable. My only real dislike  was to disengage 4WD you had to reverse at least a metre.

No need to reverse to get out of 4wd on the more recent ones .. couldn't bear to part with mine ... a travelling shed that will go anywhere, like you say ... comfortable too!

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

No need to reverse to get out of 4wd on the more recent ones .. couldn't bear to part with mine ... a travelling shed that will go anywhere, like you say ... comfortable too!

My old patrol 

20210115_163054.jpg

No where near as comfortable as my current Range Rover, but for its day I thought it was. Good off road too, but again nothing like current models.

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Certainly has a bit of ‘vintage’ to it!!

1 hour ago, London Best said:

The one in the picture looks to be a similar model to the one I mentioned in Africa...........but in FAR better condition!

I must have a thing for cars in sky blue, I had that quite a while, a sky blue Volvo 240 for around 12 years maybe more and now a sky blue Range Rover

20200915_163849.jpg

5 hours ago, scouser said:

I wish Toyota would import the surf, they have them in the states, but with v8 petrol power, I would have to own a petrol station .

You can buy an imported V8 Surf, a friend of mine has had at least two. Absolutely massive inside and a smooth ride even off road.

9 hours ago, London Best said:

I drove a GT6 once. Compared to an MGB it handled like a tit on a trampoline.

I never had one, just wanted one.

I had a TR4 for almost 2 weeks once, that was a nice car. Some guy offered me 4 times what I paid.

42 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I had a TR4 for almost 2 weeks once, that was a nice car. Some guy offered me 4 times what I paid.

Chap across the road has a TR4. He bought it from a mate of mine in 1970 and it has been his baby ever since. Worth loadsa munny now!

13 hours ago, London Best said:

Chap across the road has a TR4. He bought it from a mate of mine in 1970 and it has been his baby ever since. Worth loadsa munny now!

I paid just under its value in the 70s in Germany, it was about to be scrapped by a British man who couldn't get an exhaust or parts that would pass German type approval. He was happy for me to take it off his hands.

I drove it back to England with no exhaust just a manifold and several breakdowns due to slipping base plate under the points.

Drove into an exhaust fitters and a chap there came and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, bought it as it stood, no registration, no tax, no mot, no import paperwork and no exhaust.

Money in hand I fled the country to fetch my other car😁

Never seen or heard of it since, but if he was a collector I guess it'll be still running and worth many times more than he paid.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, still looking for a Dacia Duster, basic model, low milage , dark grey or black, FSH, if anybody knows on one let me know, cheers

Have you tried one of those sites that advertises on TV, order any car on line, they deliver and you get 7 days to make your mind up.

Might the new way to buy?

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Have you tried one of those sites that advertises on TV, order any car on line, they deliver and you get 7 days to make your mind up.

Might the new way to buy?

Hello, sorry it would not do for me, I don't see the type I am looking for, only seen these electric jobbies, oh if you mean the ad man with a beard , what a plonker 🤔😁

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, still looking for a Dacia Duster, basic model, low milage , dark grey or black, FSH, if anybody knows on one let me know, cheers

Have you looked on auto trader ? , seem to be a lot in the 4 / 6k bracket , both petrol and diesel and some are quite low mileage , might be worth having a look , GOOD LUCK

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

Have you looked on auto trader ? , seem to be a lot in the 4 / 6k bracket , both petrol and diesel and some are quite low mileage , might be worth having a look , GOOD LUCK

Hello, yes I look on most selling sites , very few for sale local, lots up north, most I see are high miles and still want £5,000 plus, thanks to post