Hawke vantage.17hmr and .22lr scope

scarter

I shoot Hawke Airmax scopes on both my 17hmr and 22RF and I know where my hold overs are out to the normal ranges I will be using them. I don't specifically use any of the various cross hair additions.  Example my 22RF Browning T Bolt I know shoots about 1 1/2 inch high at 60yrds so tree rat sat nibbling a nut gets just slightly sat on the centre cross hair, now there are occasions I have to shoot at 10yrds and know it will shoot slightly low, so I adjust.  The trick basically is to think of what distances you are likely to come across and set  the rifle up accordingly on the centre.    The 17HMR is a bit more simple because it shoots much flatter and out to 150 on a rabbit requires very little adjustment on hold.     PLUS as said above the cartridge/s you are using will make a difference, so find what your rifle enjoys eating and stick with it, don't go shifting choices.

On 26/12/2020 at 13:48, Walker570 said:

I shoot Hawke Airmax scopes on both my 17hmr and 22RF and I know where my hold overs are out to the normal ranges I will be using them. I don't specifically use any of the various cross hair additions.  Example my 22RF Browning T Bolt I know shoots about 1 1/2 inch high at 60yrds so tree rat sat nibbling a nut gets just slightly sat on the centre cross hair, now there are occasions I have to shoot at 10yrds and know it will shoot slightly low, so I adjust.  The trick basically is to think of what distances you are likely to come across and set  the rifle up accordingly on the centre.    The 17HMR is a bit more simple because it shoots much flatter and out to 150 on a rabbit requires very little adjustment on hold.     PLUS as said above the cartridge/s you are using will make a difference, so find what your rifle enjoys eating and stick with it, don't go shifting choices.

+1

I would imagine that for a 22LR and 17HMR the majority of quarry species is rabbit and if so, all you really need to know is your bullet path at various ranges and the length of a rabbit's ears.