End of the road for F1?

Vince Green

Its starting to look like F1 may be about to lose Mercedes after the 2021 season, Honda has already gone and Renault are wavering. The impact on sponsorship and TV earning power will be immense.

Development of petrol engine technology is coming to an end all over the world now so the investment in developing future F1 cars no longer appears justified

2 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Shouldn't that be +F1

That will be the real racing where you can guarantee death at every meeting. 

Yes, because watching people die in front of you is always such compulsive entertainment. 

I'm not sure it'll mean the end of F1 even if Merc do pull out. If things were genuinely that cloudy, I wouldn't have thought Ineos would have looked to up their share in the team to equal partners, unless they know that live without Mercedes would still be a successful venture. 

You never know, it might make it more competitive. It's not been that since the days of Alonso's wins. Vettel and Red Bull dominated for 4 years, now it's been Mercedes. Perhaps this would lead to a more even playing field

Lots of major players have left F1 over the years and it's carried on. There have been numerous threats to its future throughout its history. 

I don't believe we have the technology for a 100% electric and battery switch over.

The combustion engine will carry on with more eco fuels.

I think the TT racing will be culled by the nanny state.  I'm surprised they've let it carry on with all the deaths.

18 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The only real racing for me is the Isle of Man TT 🏍

Logic dictates that if F1 goes for the reasons stated, then so will TT. The unnecessary ( by the claim of some ) carbon footprint of either must be huge, but logic also dictates that the carbon footprint of E1 must be similar. 

Blimey. It’s a good job we don’t have differing views on shooting too!!!!

Oh wait, we do- somehow we manage to even dislike/disown,  parts of our own community.

Just as we support our sport, so others do theirs and I feel F1 will continue.

Manufacturers have come and gone throughout the years ( Mercedes for one) and indeed, it may open up to a more competitive environment.

I still enjoy F1 as I do my bike racing, the TT is iconic but to say it’s more exciting to watch for the possible mortal outcome is rather disturbing. 
It will continue as long as it’s a draw to the Island for commercial reason and holds the challenge that riders crave. 

But it will never be ‘mainstream’ in the way that F1 or Moto GP is, it’s a glorified ‘club race’ with some history that draws some. 
It’s not a race in the traditional sense, more a self indulgent need to better ones time. 

Formula ‘E’ has it’s following, plus some famous names driving. It hasn’t the draw as of yet though. 
Given technology progression and rule changes, an amalgamation/progression into what is F1, is my prediction. 

F1 is far from perfect, it’s dominated by a manufacturer ( not exactly the first time in its history huh), but so is the world of bikes. 

My idea of each driver drawing straws for a car and being able to ‘slot’ their seat into a diff car would make it both manufacturer and driver talent based. 
However I don’t think it will catch on 😞

So ladies and gents, it’s Xmas and a time for forgiveness and tolerance to all man and their chosen sporting followings.......

OK, I'm a grumpy old expression of wind but the memories of Fangio, Moss  stay forever I cannot really put a name to any of the present players , maybe the BLM whinger.

The TT is really the only true test of man and machine these days.  Presnt day car racing seems to be a test of who can press the right bttons at the right time, both in the pits as well as the driver.   Read and watch the Mille Miglia with Mossy driving that big Merc and that was a time when men where men.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

OK, I'm a grumpy old expression of wind but the memories of Fangio, Moss  stay forever I cannot really put a name to any of the present players , maybe the BLM whinger.

The TT is really the only true test of man and machine these days.  Presnt day car racing seems to be a test of who can press the right bttons at the right time, both in the pits as well as the driver.   Read and watch the Mille Miglia with Mossy driving that big Merc and that was a time when men where men.

....or Mike Hawthorn`s lap of Le Mans in the Jaguar on open roads on Youtube!!!!!

1 hour ago, The Heron said:

Shouldn't that be +F1

That will be the real racing where you can guarantee death at every meeting. 

We could say the same for game shooting, guaranteed death at every meeting ? If we want to go down that road, not one rider if forced to race a bike at the TT.

Edited by blackbird

21 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i disagree that the tt is a club race,it was on the world calender of gp races which was far superior to the modern moto gp,for many years,and the irish road race season is excelent to watch.

Yeah, from 49 to around 76? 
But it’s no longer, it’s a single ‘multi class’ event that doesn’t award points towards a World Series ( or even a National series).

Trading on the past isn’t the future ( hey wasn’t that partly what Brexit was about ) 

You cannot compare closed circuit racing to ‘the roads’ and what makes it ‘unique’ is also its limiting factor 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

We could say the same for game shooting, guaranteed death at every meeting ? If we want to go down that road, not one rider if forced to race a bike at the TT.

Sober up mate and come back with a reasoned argument, I love all forms of motor sports but the TT will be gone long before F1 

5 hours ago, matone said:

....or Mike Hawthorn`s lap of Le Mans in the Jaguar on open roads on Youtube!!!!!

Watched a racing history program and Hawthorne and Moss era, Moss an absolute gent Hawthorne a tosspot. 

The driving moss achieved for hundreds of miles with average speeds that would be hard to manage today as said open roads and open cars.

As F1 (and Mercedes in particular) provides my employer with 70% of their income, I do hope not. We used to have a much more diverse customer base, but chasing the sums of money involved in F1 was too big a temptation. As far as I know, Mercedes still plan to have a team in F1, but not necessarily a works supported one. Same goes for the other big manufacturers. In essence, they will just become engine suppliers, and everything else will come from private investors. It could well be the beginning of the end though, as many predicted when Bernie Ecclestone was ousted.

have you seen the assorted machines back in the day,i was at oulton park when honda flew in their new 6 cylinder bikes the 297cc six for my money is the best race machine on two wheels,i watched 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 cylinder bikes compete in various classes,just wish i could av seen the guzzi v8 on the track.