End of the road for F1?

Vince Green

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

have you seen the assorted machines back in the day,i was at oulton park when honda flew in their new 6 cylinder bikes the 297cc six for my money is the best race machine on two wheels,i watched 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 cylinder bikes compete in various classes,just wish i could av seen the guzzi v8 on the track.

Did you ever hear or see Helmut Fath on the URS outfit. That was a sound. I saw Tony Jefferies on the solo version at Oulton when,as we walked through the paddock we saw two of the URS motors just sitting on the grass outside the team tents. Could have been a contender with one of those !!

3 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

As F1 (and Mercedes in particular) provides my employer with 70% of their income, I do hope not. We used to have a much more diverse customer base, but chasing the sums of money involved in F1 was too big a temptation. As far as I know, Mercedes still plan to have a team in F1, but not necessarily a works supported one. Same goes for the other big manufacturers. In essence, they will just become engine suppliers, and everything else will come from private investors. It could well be the beginning of the end though, as many predicted when Bernie Ecclestone was ousted.

We think F1 is about cars and racing but actually its about advertising and sponsorship. If the big fish leave the smaller fish wont attract the same level of sponsorship and the money won't be there for all the cutting edge stuff and the smaller teams wont have the technical resources to move things forward.

2 hours ago, Velocette said:

Did you ever hear or see Helmut Fath on the URS outfit. That was a sound. I saw Tony Jefferies on the solo version at Oulton when,as we walked through the paddock we saw two of the URS motors just sitting on the grass outside the team tents. Could have been a contender with one of those !!

yes saw him win in iom 1969 fantastic engineer home built in his garden shed,he won im i remember

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

We think F1 is about cars and racing but actually its about advertising and sponsorship. If the big fish leave the smaller fish wont attract the same level of sponsorship and the money won't be there for all the cutting edge stuff and the smaller teams wont have the technical resources to move things forward.

And it's also a handy way to offset profits made in road car manufacturing. Formula e is where the action will be in future.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I agree but Formula E doesn't have the Va Va Voom of formula 1

Will it draw the same sponsorship and TV interest? 

Formula E is daft. got to drive through this bit before that time. can't use boost here, but can there... I keep expecting someone to get a bonus for hitting some fruit or be forced into the pit lane because they were hit by a shell. If they could just race as fast as they can and as hard as they can it'd be a lot better. And on wider tracks so it's not just a procession until someone has to swerve out to hit a mushroom.

That fan boost thing is a ludicrous idea. 

And the noise! that horrific whine is like having a dentist's drill going on in your living room.

27 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Formula E is daft. got to drive through this bit before that time. can't use boost here, but can there... I keep expecting someone to get a bonus for hitting some fruit or be forced into the pit lane because they were hit by a shell. If they could just race as fast as they can and as hard as they can it'd be a lot better. And on wider tracks so it's not just a procession until someone has to swerve out to hit a mushroom.

That fan boost thing is a ludicrous idea. 

And the noise! that horrific whine is like having a dentist's drill going on in your living room.

Yep. I find it Embarrassing to watch. 

9 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

have you seen the assorted machines back in the day,i was at oulton park when honda flew in their new 6 cylinder bikes the 297cc six for my money is the best race machine on two wheels,i watched 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 cylinder bikes compete in various classes,just wish i could av seen the guzzi v8 on the track.

I was lucky enough to see Bill Lomas ride it on a parade lap at the `98 TT along with many other legendary machines and riders.

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I agree but Formula E doesn't have the Va Va Voom of formula 1

Will it draw the same sponsorship and TV interest? 

Absolutely not. Whizzing around in glorified milkfloats, the loudest sound coming from the tyres, not exactly glamourous is it? Formula e is a dead end, much like electric vehicles are only a stopgap until the next big leap forward. I don't think we'll see loads of innovation come out of electric racing cars like we did with the world of formula one.

I've sadly watched the decline of rallying which was also a brilliant proving ground for some outrageous technology since the end of group b and I think all motor racing is dying a slow death. Who knows what will take its place.

Formula E is just some twits idea of a big scalectrix. Bloody awful to watch or listen to. 

F1 should have the cuffs taken off and let develop the cars to be the best they can. Never mind fairness. In this we have much more development of future products. 

At the moment it's looking for the tiny gains in aero or eeking out the smallest power increase. Not at all exciting.

Let them have 20 cylinder 12 turbo cars if that's what they want.

Edited by figgy