Flighting in a Gale

kippylawkid

A decent influx of pigeons in North Northumberland over last week or so led to a farmer ringing me to keep them off his rape. Other areas might have reduced OSR grown but it’s the opposite here and this farm has 6 massive fields, back to back. A difficult proposition, but a northerly gale tempted me to a small hardwood planting in the middle of the fields that the birds use as a sitty wood. I arrived just after first light and settled in on the lea side, grateful for the shelter. The farmer is a keen bird man and has feeders throughout the planting. I shared the morning with hundreds of small birds, utilising the feeders. After 30 minutes  I was beginning to think I’d blank when a score of pigeons flashed overhead and I scrambled 2 down. I stayed for another 2 hours and was treated to some great sport, with birds presenting every shot in the book. I eventually picked up 12 thanks to good work from Stan in thick cover, along with a bonus corby. Not a big bag but extremely enjoyable. Mightily impressed with the 34g No5 pigeon extremes through my Maxus.

Stan 231220.jpg

Did similar on Xmas eve,got out of the wind and sleet showers among some whins and had some sporting shooting for an hour or so .Picked half a dozen,all in top fettle.It put some snow down as I packed up and there hasn`t been a pigeon to be seen last couple of days,must have moved them on.